THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classified    ** BUYER BEWARE ** Buying without pictures - I got burned on a Lyman Super Targetspot
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** BUYER BEWARE ** Buying without pictures - I got burned on a Lyman Super Targetspot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckstix
posted
BUYER BEWARE Buying without pictures - I got burned on a Lyman Super Targetspot

I guess I've come to be complacent with this forum, because I've found "ALL" the members to be very trustworthy. I've never had a problem with anyone ... until now.

I went by the description and didn't ask for photos. My mistake.

I post this to warn that there may be a very few that are not as trustworthy as one may have come to expect.

This was the original listing here on Classified:

Lyman SuperTS in very good condition. Just received a thorough professional adjustment and new cross hair field with CHs. This is a top quality scope for field hunting or targets. Excellent resolution. $350 shipped to lower 48.

And here is what I got .... sanded front bell - hardly any finish left (what's left is thinning brown, not blue) - scratches - cleaned rust that left pitting behind - some hokey plastic addition at the adjustment knobs (which have "soft" and "spongy" clicks)

This was intended to be a gift to my grandson for his target rifle - definitely not worthy ...

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 1478 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only got burned for a holster that did not fit for $35. I would hope they would work with you on this

Posts: 2458 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
By + large, everyone here is great to deal with + honest. I have been buying + selling here for 14 years + the ONLY snag I had was from a guy who was selling a set of moulding blocks + refused to ship as he said he was never paid. I had to send him a copy of the check + his endorsement before he shipped (reluctantly). But was one in thousands. Hopefully, he will work with you on this.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
BUYER BEWARE Buying without pictures

I guess I've come to be complacent with this forum, because I've found "ALL" the members to be very trustworthy. I've never had a problem with anyone ... until now.

I went by the description and didn't ask for photos. My mistake.

I post this to warn that there may be a very few that are not as trustworthy as one may have come to expect.

This was the original listing here on Classified:

Lyman SuperTS in very good condition. Just received a thorough professional adjustment and new cross hair field with CHs. This is a top quality scope for field hunting or targets. Excellent resolution. $350 shipped to lower 48.

And here is what I got .... sanded front bell - hardly any finish left - what's left is brown, not blue - scratches - cleaned rust that left pitting - some hokey plastic addition.

This was to be a gift to my grandson for his target rifle - definitely not worthy ..

You should post the name of the individual who sold it to you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 53272 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I looked up the ad. The scope you received sure doesn't meet the ad description of what the seller listed. I would not be happy at all.

Hopefully he will make this right.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 8887 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No need for guessing here; standards are already set by the NRA and here is the definition for Very Good ( as the scope was advertised to be)
"VERY GOOD:
In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches."
I won't judge whether it is VG or not. (It isn't, externally; perhaps internally)
Why not just send it back whence it came? If he, or she, won't take it back, post their name, in public.
Everyone knows my policy: Always ship before receiving payment. If anyone is not happy, send it back and I will refund your shipping. And never deal with you again. (That last part is a joke, for those curmudgeons who lack humor.)

Posts: 12840 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
I only got burned for a holster that did not fit for $35. I would hope they would work with you on this

Hello gunslinger55,
Thanks for the reply.

I expressed my dissatisfaction in a PM that he sent me asking if I received the scope. He deleted his PM and has gone silent.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
By + large, everyone here is great to deal with + honest. I have been buying + selling here for 14 years + the ONLY snag I had was from a guy who was selling a set of moulding blocks + refused to ship as he said he was never paid. I had to send him a copy of the check + his endorsement before he shipped (reluctantly). But was one in thousands. Hopefully, he will work with you on this.

Hello NormanConquest,
Thanks for the reply.

This is the first time I was ever disappointment with a purchase on this forum. For the most part people here are honest and of the highest integrity and honor. I've even has sellers send the item before they got my payment. I typically do the same. Live and learn.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
You should post the name of the individual who sold it to you.

Hello Saeed,
Thanks for the reply.

I've held off posting his name for now. Maybe he's just slow in listening to his conscious.

quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I looked up the ad. The scope you received sure doesn't meet the ad description of what the seller listed. I would not be happy at all.
Hopefully he will make this right.

Hello Bobby Tomek,
Thanks for the reply.

There's always hope.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No need for guessing here; standards are already set by the NRA and here is the definition for Very Good ( as the scope was advertised to be)
"VERY GOOD:
In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches."
I won't judge whether it is VG or not. (It isn't, externally; perhaps internally)
Why not just send it back whence it came? If he, or she, won't take it back, post their name, in public.
Everyone knows my policy: Always ship before receiving payment. If anyone is not happy, send it back and I will refund your shipping. And never deal with you again. (That last part is a joke, for those curmudgeons who lack humor.)

Hello dpcd,
Thanks for the reply.

I expected some sort of response from the seller when I expressed my dissatisfaction. But when he went silent, it caused me to be reluctant to trust that I'd get any refund if I sent it back. In addition, he waited a full week after my "Bonded Business Check" cleared, before he shipped. Makes me ponder - why?

Posts: 1478 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a bad deal. I attempted to rectify my situation and was promptly ignored. The seller is still happily selling holsters in the classified ads. At least I was only out $35 and "shipping and insurance"

one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Somehow I just don't expect that kind of thing from AR members; maybe I am just naive.
If someone screwed me on a deal, I would drive to their town and speak to the sheriff.
Also file a mail fraud complaint, if he mailed it.
Rat him out.

Posts: 12840 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I hate to hear that. I'll note that there has only been 2 transactions here I was not happy with but otherwise I have had nothing but happy experiences here in trading over the years. I hope you get the end result you are after.
I would be upset too with the scope.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Sounds like a bad deal. I attempted to rectify my situation and was promptly ignored. The seller is still happily selling holsters in the classified ads. At least I was only out $35 and "shipping and insurance"

That being the case, it only seems fitting that the name of the seller is disclosed, as Saeed said. The seller would probably have no hesitance about doing it again.

Posts: 739 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, I too, say name the seller. I would not want to purchase anything from him if this is what he's doing. I got burned twice on AR Bay. I purchased an ivory handled knife, sent the payment and then waited and waited and waited for the knife to arrive. When it never arrived, I contacted the seller who proceeded to tell me that he was thinking on keeping the knife. I told him that he had sold the knife, had been paid and to get the friggin knife sent asap. I also had another AR member who lived in the area follow through with him. Suffice it to say, the knife was shipped.
Second deal was an Orvis fly reel. Sent the money. Eventually received the reel. The reel spool was bent and it wouldn't reel smoothly. I immediately called him and he claimed that it was good when he sent it. I told him that I had immediately opened the box upon delivery and then called him. Moreover, there was no shipping damage to the box and that it was obvious to me that the spool was bent before shipment. He knew that he'd been caught and he refunded my money and I sent the reel back to him the very same day.

Other than those two instances, all other purchases have been without incident and true to the representations made by the sellers.

One last thing: I don't buy unless I have seen pics. If you're selling-post pics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree that almost everyone buying/selling on A/R is honest and fair. Of course, as in all human groups, there are exceptions. Also agree he should be outed, NOW!

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 487 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
And the seller deleted the add. I wonder why?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3459 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3546 | Location: MI | Registered: 12 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:

Besides possibly avoiding buyer/seller hassles, there's another good reason to have posted this. A seller with a different AR name has quite a few holsters listed in the Classifieds. Wouldn't want to be mistaken about the identity.

Posts: 739 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robsrost

Posts: 18180 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
What biebs said

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello all,
Thanks for the reply.

At one time or another, I think I've done business with many of you who have replied to this post. You are all a great bunch, and I'm proud to know you.

one of us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Robsrost

That's what I thought, but the seller on the link that Del provided is not the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's what I thought, but the seller on the link that Del provided is not the same.

No, Del was referring to the seller of the scope Buckstix received.

Posts: 18180 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He wants to buy your Rolex watch too

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1194 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, that is terrible. I have sold on here, sent items as soon as someone said they wanted the items and never have been concerned about getting screwed over on payment. Bad deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to imagine that one would trade their reputation for a few hundred bucks.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It is indeed amazing how little in monetary gain that so many are willing to sell their soul for. For that's what it is. I still adhere to the premise that I can trust all my AR friends, + if I do get screwed somewhere down the line, it's their "Karma" , not mine. I am sorry that Saeed should feel the necessity to monitor this forum as it has always worked so well. The age-old problem when one jerk can screw up things for everyone else.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Robsrost
clap

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Robsrost

True, have boutght a couple hoslsters.... said like new, he hard sewn some straps etc that had been worn off...
Won’t buy again.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2357 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve also been very fortunate in almost all of my dealings on this forum, and everyone has been true to their word, except one... and I did not ask for pictures, so shame on me.

There was a MINT Ruger Redhawk .357 for sale and I was second in line for it when I was contacted by another member saying that he had the very same gun, in like new condition, only fired 12 times. Sounds good, right? When the first gun sold and was no longer an option, I accepted the offer to buy the second.

What I received was in no way, shape, or form a “like new” revolver, and it certainly hadn’t been fired only 12 times. Perhaps the seller had only fired it 12 times, but someone else put hundreds of rounds through it because the checkering on the hammer is worn down with no bite left. As for the rest of the gun, it’s clean... as clean as you can get after you take a Scotch-Brite pad to a nice stainless gun. The sanding scratches are horrible and it’s an ugly matte gray finish that no one in their right mind would ever call “like new”. I’m hoping I can send it back to Ruger for refurbishing at some point, because it looks like hell.

ALWAYS ask for pictures up front. I will never make that mistake again.

I hope you get your money back, because your “very good condition” scope and my “like new” revolver bear a strong resemblance to each other. Lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
I added the seller to my Ignor list

one of us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I PM'd the seller.....

He told me his side of the story....

I suggested he tell his story here.

He didn't seem to give a shit.....we will see

Posts: 7214 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Can't be much to his side of the story .... unless he makes one up ....

fact is ...

I saw the listing ... paid for the scope ... and got what I posted here.

When he PM'd me to ask if I got the scope .... I told him I did ... and that I was extremely disappointed as it was intended as a gift for my grandson ... but because of its very poor condition, it was not worthy as such .....

then he deleted his PM ..... and went silent ...

that's the exact story

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I PM'd the seller.....

He told me his side of the story....

I suggested he tell his story here.

He didn't seem to give a shit.....we will see

My guess is he won't be buying or selling much on here anymore.

one of us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

" ..... I suggested he tell his story here.

He didn't seem to give a shit....."

Hello ted thorn,

He didn't seem to "give a shit" when I complained ... and he went silent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are ALWAYS two sides to the story. Friends who know me better will understand this.
My side of the Story:
Lyman Super Target Spots sell for $700-$800 in pristine condition. This Lyman TS was not advertised
in top condition nor did it have a top price. It was advertised for $350, which INCLUDED a complete internal rebuild.($175) This was explained fully to the buyer.
Generally, a buyer will contact a seller IMMEDIATELY if disappointed with an item. Standard procedure for rifles or scopes. I contacted the BUYER a month after the sale on a 1911 he advertised on the AR site. I also brought up the
subject of the LYMAN STS. I contacted HIM, not the other way around. In a month, he could have dropped the scope in his driveway on the concrete or let a friend borrow it for a month to shoot wolves in the Gobi desert.
This is my side of exactly what happened. Never have had it happen before. SELLERS BEWARE

Posts: 117 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my eyes, it's a long way from "very good" condition. Pictures would have shown it for what it is, and should have been asked for before buying.

one of us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Don't buy stuff without pictures

Don't buy stuff and not use a protected payment method

Posts: 7214 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
posted 28 October 2020 21:10 Hide Post
There are ALWAYS two sides to the story. Friends who know me better will understand this.
My side of the Story:
Lyman Super Target Spots sell for $700-$800 in pristine condition. This Lyman TS was not advertised
in top condition nor did it have a top price. It was advertised for $350, which INCLUDED a complete internal rebuild.($175) This was explained fully to the buyer.
Generally, a buyer will contact a seller IMMEDIATELY if disappointed with an item. Standard procedure for rifles or scopes. I contacted the BUYER a month after the sale on a 1911 he advertised on the AR site. I also brought up the
subject of the LYMAN STS. I contacted HIM, not the other way around. In a month, he could have dropped the scope in his driveway on the concrete or let a friend borrow it for a month to shoot wolves in the Gobi desert.
This is my side of exactly what happened. Never have had it happen before. SELLERS BEWARE"

So are you accusing the buyer of causing the damage, or do you consider the external wear very good condition? Your initial response at defending the situation certainly makes me question you more than the buyer at this point.

Posts: 350 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't get it. So your defense is guy reading your post is suppose to no the scope you are selling is a poor cosmetically because you priced it lower and said "Lyman SuperTS in very good condition"

I agree he should have responded earlier but you can't even get fair condition out of that scope let alone Very Good condition.

one of us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450 Fuller:
"..... Generally, a buyer will contact a seller IMMEDIATELY if disappointed with an item. Standard procedure for rifles or scopes. I contacted the BUYER a month after the sale on a 1911 he advertised on the AR site. I also brought up the subject of the LYMAN STS.

After receiving such a "Piece of Crap" scope that was listed as "very good condition" - I didn't bother to contact the seller, knowing that he was not trustworthy - based on the fraud he just perpetrated on me. When he later inquired about the scope in a PM, I told him what I thought. And then he deleted his PM to me in order to destroy the evidence .... and then he went silent.

Lesson learned: according to 450 Fuller - if he sells something that has a "good price" you should ignore his description, and not be surprised when you get screwed.

I've done at least 150 transactions with fellow forum members here, both as a buyer and as a seller. Transactions have ranged from $10 to $22,000, and I've never had even the slightest problem. I won't let this single incident of being screwed, detract from my having faith in all the other Good members on this forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
buckstix: I am sorry that you have had to deal with this, especially when the gift is for your Grandson.

450 Fuller: Why do you not just return the buyer his money? Is your reputation really worth a few hundred bucks? I would
bet my last dollar that 99% of the AR members, after seeing the evidence posted by both sides, would side with buckstix.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote