THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    Helium and calgor gas ballons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helium and calgor gas ballons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
I reacll when I was small my father use to get the range attendant to fill mixture of helium and calor gas and I get to shoot it with a 22 short

I also recall the mix was crucial to just get the ballon to float a few feet off the ground and not too high and on impact they blew up spectacularly

I still have some 8mm footages of us shooting it on a sunday afternoon when the range was closed.

Has anybody tried that ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I shot a few acetelyne filled trash bags with flaming arrows when I was a kid... that was fun!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
I shot a few acetelyne filled trash bags with flaming arrows when I was a kid... that was fun!

I set off a condom filled with acetylene and it about reversed my eyelids.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I was getting some welding supplies last week and at the counter were two photocopied articls about locals who blew up their cars due to ballons filled with acetylene.

One, was a couple on the way to a Bronco's game.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope you werent wearing the condom at the time or it certainly would have reversed your eyelids - and more.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
quote:

I hope you werent wearing the condom at the time or it certainly would have reversed your eyelids - and more.....

clap

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This thread is way more funny than I'd have every expected!

jumping

Posts: 3837 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Hey DLS

What does the forum name says

FUN SHOOTING ....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
set off a condom filled with acetylene and it about reversed my eyelids.

Damn! That's funny!!!!!!!1

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My uncle was a welder and diesel mech. He used to do the balloon and acetylene thing in the "old" neighborhood.

Posts: 6370 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought that launching a cat with a helium balloon would make for a good archery target. Have the option of the balloon or the cat--win either way.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
My uncle was a welder and diesel mech. He used to do the balloon and acetylene thing in the "old" neighborhood.

We did one on an offshore barge back in the late seventies with trash bags taped together end to end. One bag of helium and one of oxygen and acetylene mixed for about 100 gallon capacity (three 33 gallon bags taped into one open tube). Floated about 75 feet above the barge with a firecracker fuse.

That came as close to ending my offshore career as I have ever come to losing any job.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

We did one on an offshore barge back in the late seventies with trash bags taped together end to end. One bag of helium and one of oxygen and acetylene mixed for about 100 gallon capacity (three 33 gallon bags taped into one open tube). Floated about 75 feet above the barge with a firecracker fuse.

That came as close to ending my offshore career as I have ever come to losing any job.

lol Still a day you will always remember!

Heard about a welding shop prank someone pulled.

They filled a large brown paper shopping bag with oxy/act and put it at a welder feet while he was welding. The shop was indoors with the second story office windows over looking the shop. When the bag went off it blow out all of the bosses windows.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Made an acetylene cannon from a 3' long scrap of 4" pipe, took it to a 4th of July party. Mix of oxy/acet down the barrel, touch it off, spilled drinks everywhere, and a 1' bare patch in the homeowners' lawn!
Can't even imagine what 100 gal of the stuff would sound like!!

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to gas weld and cut when I was 14.
A few years later in a Vo-ag class I told the teacher that acetylene would remain in an open container without diffusing rapidly. He did not believe me so I filled a 3 lb coffee can. He bent over and looked at the can as he thumbed his lighter. He nearly burned off his eyebrows.

You will notice there is a common theme among the personality types that become life long shooters.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
quote:

Are you sure its eyelids and not pubic hair ....

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 70's at the body shop, a bunch of B'day ballons were delivered to the owner. Later we filled a garbage bag with oxy/ace mix, attached five feet of fuse and let it go. We lost sight of it, five feet was too much. Anyway it finally blew a very loud and spectacular fire ball way, way up, and this was in broad daylight. Local emergency crews were alerted to an aircraft explosion by local witnesses, not us. They searched the woods for a day and a half for wreckage. Maybe a foot of fuse would have blown out windows?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There once was a group of amateur radio types in NJ experimenting with antennas .They wanted to try an antenna lifted up with a helium ballon. Having no helium but a source of hydrogen they used that . They got it up and started to transmit.Then things happened .Many surrounding fire companies got very upset !! 2020

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
There was once a fellar in Alabama that started Muzzloader shoots with a leaf bag full of acetylene and oxygen mixed proper like right there in an unlit cutting torch.

He told me the LAST time he did that he said I knew I was in trouble when I saw the hair on my arm start standing up.

As he tells it, his next recollection was waking up in a small tree . . .

Amazed he was still alive and even more amazed that he was unhurt.

The end of a tradition though.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was young my cousin and I use to put lye and aluminum foil in a coke bottle and add water. We would put a balloon over the neck and it would fill up with whatever type of gas that was. We would shoot at them with bb guns. Great fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
When I was young my cousin and I use to put lye and aluminum foil in a coke bottle and add water. We would put a balloon over the neck and it would fill up with whatever type of gas that was. We would shoot at them with bb guns. Great fun.

That would be hydrogen hilbily

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I always thought that launching a cat with a helium balloon would make for a good archery target. Have the option of the balloon or the cat--win either way.

Floating a cat with balloons is not as easy as you think and you can't get enough Helium in a cat to make it float either (incase you were wondering).

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote