Notify
Tools

Blow Guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Jens, be sure to give us a detailed range report on your new blowgun! When a man who owns a .333 Jeffery speaks, Bill listens.

Cool

I will.

I just need a slingshot to complete 'Full circle'.. :lol

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just need a slingshot to complete 'Full circle'.. :lol

rotflmo clap

Funny you'd mention that. I now have the full complement: A slingshot, a sling and a blowgun. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mentioning a sling reminds me of that routine by the comedian Brother Dave Garner; "Then Little David produced his sling + some of those smooth river rocks, then blipped Goliath on the head + went over + relieved him of his little blue silk change purse."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually used a nice homemade sling 50+ odd years ago as a young boy to put a small round stone right through a neighbor's large picture window from about 80 yards away. Ran like hell for home and one of the other boys in the neighborhood just happened to be walking by the neighbor's house and got collared! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S a fond childhood memory. Big Grin

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
We got my Son one at a Flea Market back when he was about 12 and it's still here after College and him moving out and getting married. One day a few years ago I got it out to play with and that thing is fun and accurate. Wish I'd gotten one sooner.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
This thread has gone a good direction in spite of Carpetbagger's efforts. I am a fan of blowguns and sling shots. I haven't tried the Biblical sling yet. I may have to do that. Thanks and Be Well, even you Carpetbagger. Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the sling, but from a distance so you don't damage your property or that of your neighbors! rotflmo clap You can send stones and other missiles quite a distance, and if you practice, quite accurately. Big Grin You can purchase slings online as that is where I picked up my last couple of ones. I believe it was through someone on Etsy. Damn, it's fun being a kid again! BB guns, slings, sling shots and blow guns. Now, it's on to marbles, jacks, tops and yo-yos. . . . . . clap

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtube.com/c/FowlersMakeryandMischief

lots of good stuff here, even a blow gun hunt.

Some thing David vs Goliath was with a staff sling and not a regular sling.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some thing David vs Goliath was with a staff sling and not a regular sling.

Yes, the jury is still out on that one. It seems to be split into two sling camps: staff sling vs. regular shepherd's sling. Big Grin In any event, either one is deadly! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, I have played with slings off and on over the years and never could develop anything approaching accuracy -- but then, I am not the most coordinated human specimen.
That said, there is a simply amazing site devoted to the sling that can keep you occupied for days:

http://slinging.org/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for the link! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My feeling from having done it a little bit is that shooting a blow gun is kind of like hip shooting.

I am amazing at hip shooting, if I do say so myself. No clue why. I can break clays thrown by surprise at close range with hip shots.

I once killed a charging zebra at 5 yards with a hip shot from a .375 H&H Mag. He dropped like Galileo's stone. It was just instant death and gravity.

I would not try that with a blow gun, however, even with curare. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I once killed a charging zebra at 5 yards with a hip shot from a .375 H&H Mag. He dropped like Galileo's stone. It was just instant death and gravity.

I watch by son hip shoot a flying grouse in the head as we were rabbit hunting. With is 10-22

Posts: 19312 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive!