Find
Notify
Tools

Blow Guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I just watched the posted video on AR of a guy killing a black bear with a blow gun. Does anyone use one on a regular basis for anything?

one of us
posted Hide Post
When i was younger before I could use firearms on a regular basic.

I hunted squirrels and other small critters with them.

Once I graduated 22s and above I never looked back at them.

Posts: 19299 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
About 40 years ago when I worked for another shop (electrical, A.C. + S/M) I had a buddy that would come in early + make his "darts". He would use a length of 1/2" conduit as the pipe+ his darts were 16 penny nails ground to a point + made a cone from our free notepads, duct-taped to the nail shaft + fit the I.D. of the conduit. He got pretty good with it (on company time). He was a real sad sack but had such a good nature that you couldn't help but like him.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest, did you have enough air to blow a dart gun? I bet you did.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure did + that was back when I was still smoking.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a young boy. Aluminum pipe and a mouth full of dried black eyed peas. I could machine gun my younger sisters as they ran away.
Fun as hell and almost worth the resulting beating!

Posts: 369 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it was worth one of Dad's beatings for some fun. Norman Conquest did you see that one coming? I just happened to unblock Carpetbagger1 to see what he said. I sent him back to the corner from which he came. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's O.K. Packy. He thinks he's a real wit, + he's half right. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packratsass glad to see your were able to get your bottle of Boones Farm opened to get your fix and make a post.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest, half right? What did I miss? Perhaps you were windy enough to break all velocity records?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess CBagger is talking but I don't hear anything. I can throw out names too. Look in the mirror when you resort to name calling. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Throw out names? Seems you started it--you know it's not carpetbagger. Did you have help opening the Boones Farm?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy, I must admit that our opinions are similar; I never called him carpetbagger but I thought it so as it says in the good book I am guilty as well. We here in Texas as well as most of the south have no use for carpetbaggers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I will be the 1st to say that this has gone far enough. We members here congregate to pass knowledge + ideas to others; NOT to pass insults. If you don't like my opinions then forget them + I will do the same to you but don't start the fight with disparaging remarks about ME (someone you don't even know) or anyone else here. I am willing to discuss with any one of the members here about applicable knowledge or subject interests but I fall way short of insulting behaviour.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He was already on ignore but I thought he was without cause attacking you. Carpetman1, Instead of just trying to watch your mouth using self discipline look into your heart and realize it is the reservoir of thought that needs to change - not just the pump (tongue). Paraphrased from a friend. Eh Carpetman1? Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy, that was my surmise as well, but I thought throwing out the semi olive branch might be productive as I see no profit in hateful agenda. I REALLY like to get along with everyone (some call that society) but there are exceptions to the rule. I will not be passive on being insulted without cause. I only hope that the gent we are speaking of has had an epiphany of manners; for his own sake at least.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had him blocked for a reason. Don't count on an epiphany even if a walnut or apple falls on his head. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You too, my friend. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest--My post was not intended as malicious insult. It was a "gotcha" that you stepped into. I think even you will admit you set yourself up for it. Go back and look at your posts and you do have a pattern of topping the other posters story. First liar doesn't have a chance type deal. Going way back, I don't remember the exact details as it didn't bother me, but I was the butt of a couple of your posts--all in good fun, no harm no foul. I have been in situations where I was set up to be the butt. For example, in the Air Force I was often the only Texan and you can be assured if someone heard a Texas joke, I was going to hear it. Same Same when I was a recruiter, if someone from the other branch heard an Air Force joke, I'd be hearing it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpetbagger you could have saved face by saying nothing. AS it is you have made yourself look GUILTY. I don't know about N C but I won't take you off ignore for any reason I have seen up to now. - But Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packratsass--We digress--back to name calling. I sure lose a lot of sleep on you having me on ignore. Probably couldn't sleep at all if I didn't know you read my every post despite having me on ignore. Look guilty? I don't recall denying I made the post and I explained where I was coming from. In the past NC had made a dig at one of my posts, so that makes him fair game. Can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice, you should follow it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me whining.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
As a kid I would get a 5 foot section of electrical conduit pipe, sharpen the outside of one end then use the sharp end to cut through styrofoam by rubbing the conduit between my hands like a drill. I would take the styrofoam plug and run a nail in the center and would have a perfect airtight seal. if you had a heavy enough nail it could be driven into a car door or the old school metal trash cans you would leave on the streets in the 80s. with a smaller nail it was common to pick birds out of trees with it. you can get quite accurate with it. A walking stick made with conduit could carry enough supplies to keep you fed in a survival situation.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blowguns, brings to mind hollow swizzle sticks, round toothpicks and alcohol. How to get thrown out of a bar in one easy lesson. Oh to be young again.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Made a blowgun with 1/2" conduit. Cut off a 6" piece and with a couple of slots in two sides of the short piece, took a hose clamp and made a 90* hand grip. I used a propane torch to heat up a circle of the side of a milk jug. When it gets clear put the cone shaped tip of a plumb bob into it to the depth you want the cones for the dart in the conduit. Let it cool, trim it off and put your metal dart wire in the point then seal with silicone. A similar size blob in each cone will give a similar weight for a small improvement in precision. The wire I used was piano wire. It was wicked. It didn't have much energy but would penetrate well. You don't have to sharpen them. I used a well washed dust boot for a mouthpiece. I had escapees from my rabbit hutches. When the same one got out several times I popped him with the blow gun. Couldn't shoot cartridges in town. I started the smoker, butchered, and smoked the fresh meat. Pretty tasty. The whole thing is not as hard to do as to describe. I have used alternative methods for projectiles. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Another fan of conduit here, with a piece of plastic pipe fitting for the mouthpiece. I made my darts using six-inch lengths of bamboo skewers as the shafts, then formed a paper cone at one end and soaked it with super glue. Made for a very durable dart, and yes, you can get scary accurate with these things.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16274 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm not the only one to admit it. Be Well Bill, Packy

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bought some many years ago.

Made of aluminum pipe, shooting steel darts.

Extremely accurate with a little practice.

Made a sight for one, and used it to kill myna birds by our pool.

I prefer air rifles now.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66684 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A holographic sight or a bow pin sight system would be cool.

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife wouldn't appreciate Boomie giving me ideas. But it is a good one Boomie. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
My wife wouldn't appreciate Boomie giving me ideas. But it is a good one Boomie. Be Well, Packy.

I was thinking again
https://youtu.be/7KqF93NyoMo
I was wondering how shooting sticks in conjunction with this sight system would make more accurate shooting with a blow gun.

Anyone have a spare pin sight and 5’ of electrical conduit?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Remember, ILLEGAL IN KALIFORNIA! Maybe pea shooters too.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16274 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all the warnings the gubmint of Kalifornia put out, instead of fiscal responsibility, I should be dead. I think they ate too many lead paint chips as children. Maybe the Lord will rescue us from Kalifornians and Commies in general. I sure like slingshots and blowguns. As I said I have used them after making them. Take care Bill, Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
For all the warnings the gubmint of Kalifornia put out, instead of fiscal responsibility, I should be dead. I think they ate too many lead paint chips as children. Maybe the Lord will rescue us from Kalifornians and Commies in general. I sure like slingshots and blowguns. As I said I have used them after making them. Take care Bill, Be Well, Packy.

It’s not a blow gun
It’s electrical conduit
It’s only a blow gun if you use it around law enforcement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have my Wham-o ( unless the wife gave it to the Goodwill)! I got it when I was about 10 or so. A steel dart with a plastic end that would just about penetrate 1/4" plywood and surprisingly accurate. The only animal I ever killed with it was a mouse that had moved into the house. I may have to go find it and make some new darts.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Cold Steel blowgun 3 days ago. Inspired by the Slockmaster.

I shot a lot of blowgun in youth and early teen years.

Later in 1985 there was a magazine called "Firepower" I read about a guy who hunted game with a blowgun. The guy was the founder of Cold Steel if I recall correct.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jens, be sure to give us a detailed range report on your new blowgun! When a man who owns a .333 Jeffery speaks, Bill listens.

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo clap