Find
Notify
Tools

Long range pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
We'll take a 40 gallon metal trash can, paint it white and turn it upside down and set it maybe 500-600 yards out.

Set up a spotting scope on a tripod and spot for your pal; high, low, left, right etc. We use .357 and/or .44 mags. We don't hit it much but it is fun to sit down and rest the gun on your knee.

Anyone else do this?

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've busted clays at 100 with a .22 and shoot .45 for groups but not tried a pistol further. Sounds like fun.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot handguns out to 300 had fair success with it. I think with a scope or a dot sighted handgun it would be a lot easier.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the mid 80's I was into Silhouette competition with a contender 7 mm International in Unlimited Class. I was the first competitor to shoot an official perfect score and was the provincial champ in 1985.

At the long range there was a 500yd gong. I could hit that all day long from the creedmore position.

When a new group of rifle shooters would be pounding away at it, I would crank my sights up 23 clicks and whack the gong just to be annoying. Then I would show one them how to do it with my pistol and he would usually be able to hit it. "Focus on the front sight and squeeeze", I would tell him.

A good pistol shot with good sights and the right technique can shoot better than the average rifle hunters. Elmer Kieth got us all seeing the possiblities and then a couple of decades later any silhouette winner could shoot circles around him. Long range pistol shooting has evolved a lot. It is very satisfying. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the Mid 80's the International Silhouette Handgun Shooters in the USA were getting so good that at major competitions they would have to stage a shoot off at the end of each competition.

To eliminate finalist, they would do things like move the 50 meter chickens out to the 200 meter line or move the 200 meter rams way out to some ridiculous range. I was never at any of these big championships. I just heard the stories.

Basically, if you wanted to win a major international silhouette championship in the USA, you had to shoot about 2-3 moa all day long in the hot sun, with brutal muzzle blasts going off beside you on the line. With open sights on a pistol! And that was back in the last century.

And, (are you ready? Wait for it...) many guys just used bulk bullets from the main manufacturers that now days we would not even consider for a plains game hunt.

Those guys could shoot. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brian, I had forgotten that Ottawa lets you guys have handguns ...

Wink

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no way my eyes will allow it any more, but at one time, IHMSA was a lot of fun. I don't know that there is anything prettier than watching those steel turkeys spin after a revolver hit from 150 yards away. At the time, my FA 654 Silhouette was up to the task...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya; Good old Ottawa. Talk about centralized government!
It is pretty easy to get a handgun in Canada, but you can only take it to a registered range. I'm not into that anymore.

Back in the old days we didn't worry about the rules too much. But now it would be big trouble to get caught in the wrong place with a pistol.
You pretty well have to be a criminal to carry a handgun now days. So, I just don't use my hand guns much anymore. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, I am with you! Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, I can't see well enough any more for that either.

When I could see well, over 30 years ago, I would use that little black adjustable iris made by merit (I think) that is attached to a small suction cup that stuck to your shooting glases.

Also, there was a hippy co-op in a nearby town of Salmon Arm, that I bought "Eye Bright Tea" from. I drank it and kept a good diet with minimal sugar. Just before a competition I would go out in the parking lot and skip rope for a few minutes to get my heart rate up about 10 minutes before I was to shoot. (competitor would chuckle, "Oh-oh he's skipping".) I competed for one summer. That was all.
My son was 12 then and won the provincial juniors with the same contender with a 357 Max barrel.
It was a pretty good cycle. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
25-30 years ago when my oldest son was at home he and I burned up a ton of 45 Colt and 44 Spl. ammo shooting my open sighted revolvers out to 520 yards. Much as you described, using the old Elmer Keith method of sitting on our fannies, drawing up our knees and resting our wrists on the inside of our knees. From 300 yards in an 18 X 24 inch steel buffalo cut out was hit fairly regularly. At the longer distances we hit it quite a bit but I don't know that it could be called "regularly". Great fun and a good education about long range handgunning.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking back over my shooting experiences, not hunting experiences, I think that sporting clays, gopher shooting with a 22 pistol and doing just what sharps4590 describes above were the best. Brian

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I had a hillside with nothing front of us but open ground with scattered boulders and rocks.
Nothing else for miles and one could see at least 1/2 mile or more.
We would lean back against a boulder with forearms on our knees and pick a rock as a target (big as a baseball or VW) first to hit it chose the next target.

If one shoots enough, then the ability of the mind to calculate the correct aim at random distances never ceases to amaze me.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
many years ago we would walk along the river bank. there were brush piles on the other side with cans and bottles laying around. 75 to 100 yards wide shootin a 38spcl. 158gr lead rn.we would ricochet the bullet off the water and try to hit the can or bottle. cant always tell how that bullet willfly

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
We all use to put a dollar in the pot and set up 18x18 tiles at about 350 yard at try to shoot them with anything from 38's to 45 colt. It was a lot more fun than blackjack.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too difficult if you know the range and sight it for that range..Set those white tubs as unknown range, nix the range finders, wind computers and rest on a stump, play the hunting game,,gets all but impossible but it sure is fun with pistol or rifle for that matter..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I shot with 2 guys from NW Ohio who would stand on a bridge with .41 Mag S&W's. Float 2 five gallon cans down a creek and sink them within a couple hundred yards. Fun. And yes, they were religious about cleaning up the (shallow) creek before leaving.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For long range pistol fun get yourself barrels for the Colt 911.

They are available in rifle calibers, like 223 Remington, 243 Winchester and 308 Winchester.
Great fun to shoot.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a Keith #5 I had built several years ago that was built on a super blackhawk frame w/ 5"bbl + Ivory stocks that is extremly accurate but I have not tried to shoot THAT far. Hell anymore I can't even see that far.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote