Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on 686 SW
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Anyone on here have a S&W 686? I'm thinking about getting one of the longer barrel varieties for shooting 50+ yd targets. I think the barrel length was 8-3/8".

I'm guessing the 357 mag won't have much power for deer or hogs past that distance? My last hunting handgun was a 454 Casull and there wasn't much worry about "having enough gun"

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great 357 mine are very accurate if your capable they are easily a 100 plus yard gun.

Place a good heavy for caliber bullet into the boiler room of hogs or deer it well kill them.

But you are right it does not have the smack of the bigger bores.

A 300 plus gr wfn out of s 44 or 45 caliber hand gun over 1000fps has more smack.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 586/686s a lot. There are quite a few variations over the years.

My opinion, which is just that, is that longer than 6 inch barrels on handguns are more difficult to shoot well unless using some type of rest, especially on moving or potentially moving targets. Yes, I am familiar with silhouettes. Not to mention, they are significantly more difficult to carry easily.

The .357 with half way decent bullets will easily kill a deer if the shooter does his part. IMO, if you really think you need the extra "uumph" (technical term) the extra barrel length gives you, then go to a .41 or .44 Mag. or a .45 Colt.

Not the same gun, but I somewhere have a Mod 27 in semi-rough shape that is a real tack driver. They used to be somewhat cheaper than other similar Smiths, but no longer. Still, if you run on one for a good price, don't pass it up, all of them I've shot have been very accurate.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I bought a 6 inch 686 the first year they came out; early 80s I think; it is a great revolver, but, the .357 mag is a bit small and weak, for me. So I never shoot it.
But for fun shooting, which is the title of this section, I suppose it would be fine, and for hunting very small pest type animals. The 357 used to have a reputation for being a powerful hand gun but that was before people now any better.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a 6" S&W 686 and love it! It is very accurate (I have a red dot sight on it). I am not sure why you need a long barrel unless you plan on using open sights.

Note the 180gr. JHP bullets!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great group!! Except for those two obviously defective bullets. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great group!! Except for those two obviously defective bullets.

Nope! "Called flyers"!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure why you need a long barrel unless you plan on using open sights.

More velocity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But for fun shooting, which is the title of this section, I suppose it would be fine, and for hunting very small pest type animals.

Elmer's spirit lives on....... Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog, IMHO, the issue of needing longer barrels to obtain greater velocities has been made moot perhaps with the modern powders that we have available to us nowadays. I have, of course, no objective data to back this up, other than my own personal experience in being able to obtain the velocities I desire from the firearms that I have, by judicious powder selection. 2 1/2 inch barreled revolvers being the exception!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
P dog, IMHO, the issue of needing longer barrels to obtain greater velocities has been made moot perhaps with the modern powders that we have available to us nowadays.

A lot depends of the particular fire arm also I have a 5.5 44 red hawk that is faster then the 3 7.5s with the same loads.

But normally a longer barrel well increase your velocity with most powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it. I am trying to find another one right now NIB. Ping me if you want to sell one.

Posts: 10083 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, message "Peter" on this forum. He is looking to sell his 686

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a late to the thread, but I'm a long time owner of a 2 1/2" 686 and think very highly of the revolver. Mine has had a trigger job and is mag-na-ported. It's a bit unusual in that low velocity 158 .38 Special ammo has more muzzle flip than high velocity .357 ammo due to the porting. I will also mention that one should choose his ammo carefully with the shorter barrel as the harmonics of some loads have the most evil, piercing pitch imaginable.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a pair...

Looking forward to shooting them.

Posts: 10083 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a 6" revolver. I found the 8-3/4" a royal pain in the a$$..Too long to sit in a vehicle, too awkward in a should holster..I speak only for myself..I could never see any advantage to those long barrels...The only advantage to a 4" is for a police officer or daily wear..snubbys are for undercover work or office workers..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote