New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charcoal Briquettes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A bag of 20 pounds has a few hundred "targets" that are great for seeing how well you can hit a small target at a couple hundred yards. I go to shoot them on private property so there is no problem with the residue. But I'm wondering, those of you that go to clubs or public ranges, are there rules against briquettes due to the remaining biodegradable powder?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There would be,no problem at our club.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, three main ingredients in most briquettes: charcoal, sand and borax. Pretty benign stuff. I worked in a Royal Oak factory when in college.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip will have to try it

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Off topic somewhat: We usually stop by the grocery store and pick up some fruits and veggies that are reduced in price or that they are going to throw out. We shoot the stuff and leave it for the critters to clean up. And it gets cleaned up! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried them before in place of clay birds with a shotgun. Even after painting them blaze orange on one side I had trouble hitting them. The biggest factor was probably my shooting. They came out of the thrower fast and are small enough they were hard for me to pick up quickly. I have had other guys say they like them.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Had a buddy several years ago that bought a new Savage 99 in 358 + wanted to try it out on my range.So we went to the grocery store + bought the largest turnip we could find,painted a mustache on it (ala Day Of The Jackal)went back to 100 yds. + when Doug hit that turnip,even at that distance we were showered with gobbets.We also used to stack 12 G shells on top of each other + fire our revolvers one handed while standing on one foot while patting ourselves on the head + simultaniously attempting to take down the shotshell cases from the top down,one at a time.This was done at 25 yds.I will admit that the 1st time we did this that beer was involved;However after that we saw that could be a productive drill,even using your off hand + deliberately making distractions.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ILl state range restricts targets to Paper at certain Heights at their different ranges and they have 14 ranges, otherwise some goof will be shooting bottles or cans and not clean up and I must agree with them.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we considered desert fun to be one guy with an old .22 rifle with an empty shotgun hull over the end of the bbl. another standing off to the side with a gun of choice usually a 12 ga
.22 rd would propel the hull into the air as a target for the other guy

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One early ass whipping that I recall vividly was when my dad saw me shooting at bottles with my .22."Someday some one will be walking here + you have left broken glass! Shoot cans,but NEVER break glass that will be there forever.I have instilled it in my children;I find it good policy.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of Harry Selby's trick was to make a horizontal beam that suspended 2 (empty) bottles on a string. He would then get them swinging in pendulum fashion,one across the other,then he would run full tilt back 50 yards,turn + fire as the 2 swinging bottles came together;offhand + winded;breaking both bottles with one shot. Now that is a great one shot. I have tried to do the same but I can't,not always. It is a test of masculinity. Just for grins,try it sometime with no one watching just to test your own mettle.The results are with you + God.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
uh, no! my days of running to, from, or sideways are long over. thats number 1. second is, if i tried alone i'd embarrass myself to me! and if i did hit it, no one would believe me. but that would sure be fun to watch someone do!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pumpkins after Halloween. Fill them with water and practice your 400-500 yd shots.
Only issue is that they are slow to decay and they are about the only thing a wild hog will not eat. Not sure why??
I had some blown apart in pasture at my farm and nothing touched them for months and months and we have more than our fair share of wild hogs.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the subject for a moment but related to the last post. Several years ago some of us were visiting a friend in town.Some one (can't remember who) eating a dbl pack of hostess cupcakes.He ate one I set the other on the mantle of the fireplace + then forgot about it. Clint said just leave it there,I want to see how long it lasts.After 6 months one side started to droop just a little.It did take the varnish off the mantle as well.Eat what you want but I would'nt touch one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just commenting to another member here about using my self built scout Krag. I have been using it to shoot skeet,it's really that slick + fast. Does anyone else shoot skeet w/ a rifle? Love to hear more stories.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Skeet? Nah. I have trouble remembering whether I put on my jeans as I go out to work, have to look down to check. How am I going to hit two things swinging, together and run 50 yards first? Getting too old and slow. Tried the skeet thing this spring. I NEED PRACTICE! Daily! OT almost. Was rummaging under the car port yesterday, getting out the Troy Built to rebuild or replace the gas engine. Found what is left of some training devices for kids. I made hinged 2x4 crosses with a spiked base. Stainless plate at the top to shoot and reset. The kids shot the plate with a 22 and a pull cord did the reset. Didn't use them much. The state wouldn't let you use them with the hard target plate. But on the Wife's homeplace, hours of fun. Use your imagination if you want to build one. The upright is set back from the center point of the T and hinge in front of the upright. The over length screw on the back of the metal plate is your tie point for the pull cord. Guess it could be an eye bolt. The charcoal is easier but non-resetting. Packy

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
NC used to be able to hit a hand thrown clay target with the old Marlin 39A. I bought 1000 rounds a month of 22 CB caps. All were gone before the month was up. The Marlin looked like a charcoal fire was burned in it. DIRTY! Now-a-days the old spray can of brake cleaner would come out first. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's damned good practice + WILL make you a better shot.Gunsite has a course for that as well + after a week you should be succesfull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
field Match

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Internet is on the fritz,will try tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy, I have not played in a while + although I freely admit that I'm no Ad Toepperwein I still can hold my own. Shooting skeet with a rifle WILL make you a better shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody else have some abstract shooting ideas concerning your advancement in hand to eye + quick target acquisition + accuracy? These tests/practices are real handy in our knowledge of real-world applications.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I toss tin cans in the air and shoot them with my 22, iron sights.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustin Hoffman in "Little Big Man". Throw up 3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Animal crackers. You can take the kids on safari at 50 yards with 22's and no mess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you've done your public service to feed the birds. Win-win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest, don't waste your money having your Dr check you for senility. One post you tell us vivid memories of an ass whipping for breaking glass--good policy instilled it in your kids. Next post you tell us how to break two bottles one shot. Take a couple aspirins and drop check in the mail to me for saving you a Dr visit.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, I know. If that's the most hypocrisy I'm charged with then I'm not doing too bad. Besides, that was Harry Selby's stunt. Honestly, I do advocate not breaking glass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a couple of young grandkids a 22 and Animal crackers just tell them you are going on Safari! Have them shoot them like its a Africa hunt lots of fun and no cleanup. Took my boys when they were young just told them we were going on Safari, they still talk about it.

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Pumpkins after Halloween. Fill them with water and practice your 400-500 yd shots.
Only issue is that they are slow to decay and they are about the only thing a wild hog will not eat. Not sure why??

I do the same thing with pumpkins/tannerite & 22 short, the moose love pumpkins tu2

& the charcoal is great at the local range a 2x2 briquette at 200 yds is close enough for anything I hunt.

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A gravity fed clay target set up

https://youtu.be/0XD8rQfjpCE

angle it to have more in the hopper

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/627055948101298515/

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote