New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can somebody recommend a reasonable quality and reasonably priced pellet gun.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Benjamin in .22 cal. I've had mine for over 40 years + it still works great. Accurate + the pellets are cheap. Just don't leave it charged or over time you will ruin your seals. I don't know the current price but whatever it is it's worth it. You can never go wrong by buying quality the 1st (+ usually ONLY time).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
One more for Benjamin. Simple, reliable and parts are available if something fails. There's a good reason they have been made pretty much the same for so long.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know anything about a Crosman 22 pellet gun. Like maybe how they work?a

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that there are a number of different models for Benjamin pellet guns.
Which model do you prefer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lindy2---There is an air rifle section on this forum and possibly if you posted your questions there, you would get more responses. Most air rifles are either .22 cal. or .177 cal. My favorite is the .20 cal or 5mm. Pellets for that size do cost a little more, but shooting pellets is still cheap shooting. The Sheridan silver or blue streak is 5mm and they are right there with the Benjamins that have been mentioned. I've had Benjamins and Sheridans, I rate the Sheridans higher. I find them to be very accurate, especially with a peep sight. Dependable for sure.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have one of the 22 cal Benjamin Titan GP and it is a fantastic air rifle but it is no comparison with the accuracy of my 22 cal Gamo Urban PCP rifle.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy oh boy, I couldn't answer that, I bought mine so long ago that it did not have a model on it. Only Benjamin .22 cal. Still one helluva pellet gun; perhaps their flagship?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Benjamin is 58 years old, I still shoot squirrels with it. When I was a kid with young eyes, I could shoot dandelion stems off with it, now I can barely see the rear sight.

Posts: 418 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Benjamin is 58 years old, I still shoot squirrels with it. When I was a kid with young eyes, I could shoot dandelion stems off with it, now I can barely see the rear sight.

setters5,
have you had to replace any parts on yours?

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Benjamin is 58 years old

Yep, me too! tu2 tu2 Still shoots perfectly. Never had anything replaced on it. It is 22 cal. Pump it 22 times for 22 cal power I was always told, although I didn't usually pump it that high-more like 10-15 times was sufficient. I always kept the seals oiled and everything wiped down and clean. I also have a more recent Crosman .117 caliber pellet rifle with scope for working on the local pigeon population.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I acquired the one I had in a trade when I was 12....and it was old then. In my ignorance I would pump that thing 100 times when I was hunting serious game (squirrels) with it. Never once leaked. I actually killed my first squirrel with it. Very cool gun.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lindy, hunt up the Web site for Pyramyd Air. They carry a huge inventory, and they also have a lot of reviews by top-rank airgunners like Tom Gaylord. You can spend hours there. Trust me.
One more thing -- the scopes that come packaged with most airguns are junk. Try to buy a rifle with open sights and scope it yourself. If shooting a "springer" or nitro piston rifle, you will need a scope rated for airgun use, as airguns are much harder on scopes than, say, a .458 Winmag. It's because they recoil both forward and back.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was rereading one of Capstick's articles this evening about how they were doing "Minisniping". Basically using FWB model 300 in 177 to shoot at 9mm empty cases at 35 meters. The equivalent to this is firing a standard centerfire rifle at 1336 meters. They did the math + it was the same. Once again the key was to learn to judge the wind factor. Interesting article.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I was rereading one of Capstick's articles this evening about how they were doing "Minisniping". Basically using FWB model 300 in 177 to shoot at 9mm empty cases at 35 meters. The equivalent to this is firing a standard centerfire rifle at 1336 meters. They did the math + it was the same. Once again the key was to learn to judge the wind factor. Interesting article.

I remember that article by Jack and picked up a FWB 300 because of it. Mine has to be at least 30 years old and who knows how many thousands of shots were forced through it when it belonged to the UAF rifle team but it is still capable of superb accuracy and now my daughter son-in-law, who is a former Marine Sniper, enjoys using it as much as I do.

It's hard to go wrong with quality !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4186 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote