THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    Killing off those awful golf balls.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killing off those awful golf balls.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
Have a couple friends at work who golf as well as hunt. they keep asking me to go with them and I keep asking which rifle I should bring the 22 mag, 220 swift a 243 or bigger.
they keep telling me I can't use a rifle on the golf course so I have asked about a shot gun and they even say I can't use them either.

Decided to buy a couple of buckets of salvage balls and invite my friends to the farm with their hunting rifles and golf clubs(drivers).
The game is they use the driver to drive the ball out across the cut hay field where it lays is the target. Cards were drawn to see what order we shoot. You can shoot sitting with a bipod or X sticks, kneeling, standing and off hand, any caliber rifle. We do keep score on the hits, solid hits are a 10 of course a winging is only a 3.
We had such a good time doing this game we have been doing it 9 years this summer will be 10 years. clean up afterwards is required and if you do not help you are no longer welcome. Every one brings a dish and we take a collection to buy some type of meat to cook on the grill.
As night falls and the clean up is finished we set the fire pit going and set around shooting the bull, and emptempying bottles of evil liquid.

Very enjoyable day for all.
Oh and the golf nuts make bets on who can drive the farthest and straightest too.
Not one golf ball makes it to a course ever again let alone a pond they came out of probably.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My kind of golf!
Should my dear friend Evan Williams come by one of your shoots, tell him I miss him.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should buy one of the golf ball launchers from www.cheaperthandirt.com that shoot from the AR platform using blanks...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golf balls....I understand that in some areas of the country they are as prolific and evil as rocks are in the Ozarks. Kill 'em all!!

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I "string up" golf balls for targets.
I drill a small hole, put in a small screw eye, thread thru some 1/16" cable. Attach the cables to a 2x4 crossbar 12ft long with 8 to 10 balls
Set up at appropriate distance for shooters skill level.
Been using this setup for youth shooting events for years.
The kids (young and old) really like the "action".
I am jealous that you have enough land to allow your style though. Sounds like some serious fun.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I have drilled holes thru golf balls probably 1/8 dia. then used a needle to pull some calk cord thru them. Hung them on the cats tower to play with.

Our game allows one to sharpen skills, the golfer gets to drive the balls and learns not to shank them. The shooters have to learn to calculate yardage with out the use of a range finder. Then those golf balls are sure a small target laying in the hay stubble many yards out and real hard to see if they get close to 200 yards out.

Big Grin Al

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People would want to shoot golf balls when you have a cat tower?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More people in Australia die by being hit in the head with golf balls than do die from firearms ,I.E ,golf balls should be shot on sight and a bounty placed on them ! they are a menace to Society ! golf sticks should be registered ! and Licensed owners only allowed to operate them

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was at the golf course with an instructor - who told me that I should give up playing golf, as I am totally useless at it!!

One day we were sitting having lunch with several instructors when he said this.

I told him the rules of golf are useless, as they never reflect real life play.

He insisted that the rules were made to make the game more enjoyable, but, not for anyone like me.

I told him I can prove to him that the rules are useless.

I asked him if he is twice as good as me at gold.

"Oh bloody hell, AT LEAST that!"

"OK, you are a pro, and have zero handicap. I am a useless player, and you are twice as good as me. You have a known score in golf, I don't. So why don't we play a game, and I have twice as many strokes as you, and see who wins!"

"That is not going to work" he answered.

All the other pros present laughed him off, and told him he has no choice but to take that offer.

He agreed, on the condition that we play at 6 in the morning when no one was at the course, and he will keep the score.

We played the next day, he had a scope of 72.
I had a score of 134, so I won!

The best part was many of the pros came to watch, and we all had a great laugh about it.

I invited him to come over to my house to shoot.

He had great fun shooting.

We have golf balls here for the kids to shoot at.

So I picked one, and showed him the number printed on one.

I told him I can hit that number from 100 yards.

He did not believe me.

Anyway, he agreed to walk down the tunnel, and put the golf ball on the sand bags.

I took a match rifle we have built here, in 308 Winchester, and fired a shot at the gold ball.

He walked down the tunnel to bring it back.

He was speechless, as where the number was, there is a bullet hole.

He carried that golf ball with him for many years, showing it to people, and telling them the person who shot it is totally useless at golf clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
When I entered business, you are expected to play golf. I've never even picked up a golf club. I took a couple lessons, but the pro asked me what I've done with my life instead of playing golf. I told him I spent most of it behind a rifle. He said that explained it and he said you should do that and not waste my time with a golf club.

A considerable number of the people I know that play golf are not allowed to own firearms. You will note however that they use a lot of the same nomenclature. Shooting a round of golf, the projectile is called a ball, the target is a hole. (Rather than the other way around.) Many military bases have rifle ranges and golf courses. And it goes on further…

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
golf courses are going out of business here because people are tired of paying high green fees for one. My brother in law a business man has played golf for years because he felt it was expected of him. He recently sold all his golf equipment except his towels. He now is a full fledged shot gunner because he can walk the clays course and is not allowed to walk the gold course as it slows play he said.
He also shoots 5 stand and skeet. The towels he saved from the golf equipment wipe the sweat from his hands and wipe down his shot guns.
I have shot a lot of clays and trap all my life and after a couple shot years he out shoots me with off the shelf shot guns, a Remington plain Jane 20ga is his favorite clays gun.

Big Grin Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live on a golf course but don't golf, have a barrel of golf balls. Should start a golf ball shoot every weekend. It would be more fun shooting them off the greens around my house.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
use a slincer and record the look of amazement when the ball explodes before they can putt.

Big Grin Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am living proof that golf is more dangerous than a shooting sport.

I'm a hacker as they say on a golf course, but
I was playing in a golf tournament in West Texas with an Amoco executive as my guest years ago. My drive goes right, into the West Texas rough; the desert. I have 200 yards to the hole and about 5 yards to a 4" diameter Mesquite tree. I take a 4-iron, aim directly at the tree, knowing I'll miss it. Perfect swing, perfect hit, perfect hit again (off the tree) and as I come through with my swing I'm knocked out by the ricochet off the tree that hits me right above my left eye. My partner has a look on his face like I'm dying, but once he sees I'm not, he can't stop laughing. He said I dropped like a sack of potatoes. He's still laughing 33 years later probably, and I still have a swelling above my left eye.

Have yet to shoot myself with a firearm in 55 years of practice.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote