New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Too lazy to check to see if this has been discussed. Cubes with a rimfire? Bigger blocks for center fires? And no mess to clean up! I can't be the first to think of this.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a snow bank all winter long then pick up the bullets in the spring and reuse them or melt them back down

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
during breakup the ice floes coming down a river provide great targets.

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
during breakup the ice floes coming down a river provide great targets.

I use to do that lot in the past was a fun time and a good way to learn to hit moving targets.

done in the proper spot it is safe

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jazz it up a bit by adding red food dye?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I collect the 2 liter pop bottles, fill them 90% with water, and use food dye to color them. Throw them in the freezer. Big Bore speed drill practice. Two or three a couple yards apart, on my IPSC timer.

I can't take the credit, I was at Elmer Keith's home and he let me shoot a couple of his double rifles. His gunsmith Don Mihalevic (SP?) lived south of town, and we went there. He had a fence line using railroad ties for posts. Spaced about 15 feet apart in the center.

I would load the DR, Don would have set a couple of gallon milk jugs on the posts, and I would give it a try.

What fun.

They just explode, and dyed ice shards go everywhere.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
On a similar note,Harry Selby with his 416 Rigby would suspend 2 bottles by strings off a horizontal branch,set them in pendular motion,turn + run 50 yds.,turn + fire when they overlapped each other. Africa is much bigger than Texas as we know. I learned a valuble lesson as a boy when I shot a bottle with my .22;my father whipped my ass.Never ever shoot glass where someone might be coming behind you.A lesson learned + imparted but without the need of a whipping. Love the ice bottles idea.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Poole
posted Hide Post
after I got yelled at for shooting water jugs at the range, I froze a bunch of ice blocks instead.

Actually they are pretty boring to shoot, they just shatter. No clean up but you can only freeze as many as you have room in your freezer and you have to get to the range and set up within an hour or two (a day or two if you have yeti).

a water jug, due to hydrostatic shock EXPLODES! drops of water fly 50' in every direction. and if the sun is at just the right angle, every one of those drops acts as a magnifying glass for just a fraction of a second.

Poole

-
Bill Poole
Scottsdale, AZ
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/

Posts: 50 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 08 June 2009Reply With Quote