New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bug a Salt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been having fun with my Bug A Salt. Not familiar Google Bug A Salt and watch the video. It uses salt as ammo and designed for flies and mosquitoes. About 80 shots per filling of salt.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with that. That brought back some memories however.Back in the college years when I was broke as a blind pickpocket in a nudist colony;several of us would use that handheld
Lyman caliper like loading tool to prime our 45 LC brass,then insert the case mouth into a wax cake (ala cookie cutter).Then we had a copy of Moby Dick that we put a dribble of honey on + waited for flies to land.Great cheap sport

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy: "Moby Dick"? That's sacrilege! Much better to use a copy of "The Naked Lunch."

hilbily

Carpetman, a friend has of those "a-salt" rifles and reports great satisfactionl.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bug A Salts are huge w/ the kids. They absolutely love them. Just watch out for the family dog. Somehow the dog always gets shot. LOL

Posts: 112 | Registered: 12 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a new Bug A Salt (3.0) that is not on their site. You have to call them to order it. On the old model, the safety resets every firing and you had to put it to fire each shot. The new has a cross safety that stays in the position it was in, I like that better. The newer is reported as more powerful, but I can't tell the difference. Neither one effective on wasps. Norman, did you watch any of the videos?

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Horse Flies take 4 shots!!!.............lol

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,I will admit that Solzhenitsyn's 'Gulag Archipelago'would have been preferable but we did'nt have a copy;besides we were a bit decadent in those days.One of my room mates had a 44 cap + ball revolver + decided to hunt rats in the attic.In the middle of the night you would hear this roar;Doug has scored again.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, we would take the Red Rider, with no BB's and cock it, then dump some salt down the barrel. About the same effective range, 3-4 ft.

Also used to use chicken feed (pellets about 0.177") as frangible ammo on bugs. These gave longer range, but accuracy suffered a little.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
My Grandson discovered that if you shove a "strike anywhere" match in the barrel, when it hits the concrete block wall, it explodes.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that the kids today have "invented" what we did.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
When the grandkids come for a visit in the summer, I arm them with a Bug A Salt and pay them a quarter bounty for every yellow jacket they whack off the hummingbird feeders. Keeps them busy for hours and only costs me a couple bucks.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I like your system Matt Norman. Sounds like I need to get a Bug-a-salt. I hope Biden doesn't outlaw them. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope Biden doesn't outlaw them.

rotflmo Don't count on it Packy! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I discovered these based on the posts here. It was too late in the year last year to get one, but I'm going to tool up for this coming summer season. We get these heinous spotted lantern files here in PA, and I'd love nothing more than to wage war on them. They're bigger than flies, but they die from almost nothing. I might get two and go full Rambo! BOOM

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've got me curious. . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bug A Salt makes a green and yellow variety that is billed as more power. I did not find that to be true--they are about same as others. I like the black and gray 3.0 much better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will check it out for sure! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a single pump pneumatic gun that shoots a load of table salt for those unfamiliar. It looks to be lots of fun. But I have only test shot mine. No bugs have died yet. I have the 3.0 but I doubt it is more powerful. Just that it must be effective. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a quick look at the Bug a Salt site and I didn't see the yellow and green model I mentioned---I THINK it was called Lawn and Garden, anyways I really don't care for that one. It is harder to cock and no power gain and you have to take it off safety every shot. The 3.0 models have a cross safety that stays in same position. The laser sights are pretty good. Bug a salt has been great standing behind their product, did have a couple issues they corrected.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I don't have any.

I bought maybe five, but every time some friend tried it, he wanted it and I gave it to him. So I bought another and...

I found it works best with Bad Reichenhaller brand salt. Salt particles are more of globular shape than crystalline. More uniform patterns and smashing power!

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I have access to the round pellet salt. Probably would lead to me reloading for the Bug-a-Salt. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Here is the photo. Salt pellets hardened by iodine, fluoride and folic acid. For tight uniform patterns. Right ammo for next fly season!

Link to US e-shop: https://www.germanshop24.com/?...atch=products.search

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, how does that affect your bore? I recall in the 50s + 60s rock salt was used in their 12g. to detract from theft, watermelons, chickens, etc. w/o killing the culprits. That being said, the salt raised hell on the bores. How is this NEW technology?

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I understand you correctly. This is used in Bug-A-Salt toy, it is made for salt and it is plastic.

https://youtu.be/EesfhOGt9Kk

one of us
posted Hide Post
NC was that tongue-in-cheek? Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No packy, that was not TinC, I was unaware of what that round was, I assumed it was a low level salt pellets to be used for short range indoor practice on bugs, etc. I've never seen one of the aforementioned plastic pistols. Living out in the country will do that I suppose. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have an Orcheln's farm and home store that was recently purchased by Tractor Supply. So we will have a store now supported by a national distribution company. It was good and will be better. They are now getting ammunition with each delivery truck. Probably they will be able to expand a bit at a time. They have the Bug-a-salt guns in the M2 and M3 styles. They were a bit spendy but quite nice for the purpose. A single pump pneumatic that shoots salt at bugs. You must keep your shots off a person's face and off the pets, otherwise it is quite safe. I already collected a Japanese beetle. He stunk so we couldn't eat him and really there's not enough left to mount. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I have mentioned before, in the college days (read no money) we loaded primed cases with a wax bullet ALA cookie cutter routine to shoot at flies across the room on a honey dribbled copy of Moby Dick. (Sorry Bill, I know you disapprove of our literary choince, as I have said before that I didn't have a copy f Solenitzens "Gulag Archipelago." Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
FYI, 3 or 4 feet (max!) is the best range. 2 feet will seriosly wack them. House flies...3 feet. Yellow jackets and paper wasps about 2-2 1/2 feet, Both might require a finisher.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hit a wasp and it flew away but going lower and lower until it finally crashed. Kind of like a marginal hit on a goose. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There coming to take you away away, there coming to take you away!!! the men in the little white suits!! jumping salt in your bullets and gun powder in your tea!! The gang has finally lost it, it was just a matter of time!!! clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote