The Accurate Reloading Forums
Rock killin' in the Ozarks

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2521043/m/1051095702

21 January 2015, 16:28
9.3 X 75R
Rock killin' in the Ozarks
My little piece of ground here on the north edge of the Ozarks rolls as is usual. We heat our home and water with a Hardy outdoor wood furnace. Consequently I cut a lot of wood, mostly trees that have died from whatever reason or snags that are never going to make a log. Obviously there is a lot of stumps and, being the Ozarks, a lot of rocks. There is also a trail about 1 mile long that meanders through our place. Rocks and stumps....hmmmm. About 10 years ago I started setting rocks of various sizes on top of the stumps and when I take my mostly daily walk through our woods they make for a fun and reactive target. I have them set up along or just off the trail so that when I shoot at them I am shooting down and into the side of a draw so there's no fear of ricochet, besides, I shoot almost exclusively cast bullets so the risk is nearly non-existent. A few friends have joined me over the years and we're likely to use rifles, handguns or muzzleloaders. Sort of keeps your eye in the game and just makes for a lot of fun.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it
08 February 2015, 17:54
p dog shooter
Done the same thing many times. When one could get 22lr. One could burn up a lot of it in a mile walk with a 10-22.
16 February 2015, 22:54
458Win
The rocks in the Ozarks must have made a comeback since I left college. I am sure that I had them pretty well thinned out as most weekends I would take a carton (or two) of 22 ammo and my Anschutz and head to my families cabin on Bull Shoals and do my best to rid the place of them.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com
19 February 2015, 00:49
9.3 X 75R
I think I know why 458. I'm on the north eastern end of the Ozarks. I think we have more breeding stock here as they appear to be quite prolific.

I rarely if ever use a 22. Generally nothing smaller than my 8.15 X 46R and usually a 9 or 9.3 by something. I have been know to kill a few with a 11.15 X 60R or 500 BPE. All cast bullet loads.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it
19 February 2015, 03:40
p dog shooter
I also found my 416T and 45-70 work well
12 July 2018, 19:12
packrattusnongratus
The targets are not as prolific in NW Missouri. We are getting kalifornicated here though. The houses are so close together out of town that you can not safely shoot a 22 LR in most directions. Paved or gravel roads where there used to be dirt or no track at all. The targets are slick about their mating rites though and the kids show up when the farmer works his fields then comes a rain. That or the winter freezing and thawing shows them in their nesting spots. Things don't always change for the better as you get older. I also remember throwing babyfood jar lids up in the air at my "dump" when the kids were babies. Used CCI gallery shorts in the old 39A to the tune of 1000 rounds a month. It was all I could afford with babies in the house. But could shoot a bit better than today. The rocks were elusive up here even back then though.
12 July 2018, 22:03
carpetman1
Those poor defenseless rocks could probably become pet rocks if adopted. Something needs to be done. I am starting a fund to save the rocks. Send your donation to my EMAIL address. For only pennies a day you can save a rocks life. Please give generously, time may be running out for those poor rocks, do it today.
15 July 2018, 16:06
p dog shooter
quote:
Those poor defenseless rocks could probably become pet rocks if adopted

When I shoot rocks with my 416 or bigger they multiply rapidly.
19 July 2018, 18:20
packrattusnongratus
I know where there is a dump truck sitting idle, Carpetman1. What is your address? Is the front yard OK? Or can I get a dump truck into the back yard? I know your wife would be happy to save a few truck loads of those rocks. The local quarry has a really big loader so we could save some of the parental units too? Oh man! I'm getting so excited to save a poor innocent rock family. Maybe I could become a Kalifornia useful lib.
26 July 2018, 16:53
sharps4590
Goodness...when I started this thread over 3 years ago I sorta thought I was assisting Mother Nature in turning rocks into dirt...can't call it soil...now to learn I've sort of been responsible for a "Save The Rocks" campaign.

I ain't sure how to take all that..... Big Grin

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6
27 July 2018, 04:13
carpetman1
Sharps4590---You are overthinking things. Quit pondering how to take it and get that donation in the mail.
18 August 2018, 21:07
packrattusnongratus
Please send all those donations to my office in Misery! Thanks.
18 February 2021, 08:11
Use Enough Gun
Damn, you guys are FUNNY! rotflmo
19 September 2021, 05:09
packrattusnongratus
Yeah, carpetbagger is kind of funny. But I try to resist bullying folks lesser than I. Be Well, Packy.
19 September 2021, 23:05
carpetman1
There is a new use for these rocks. Herding dogs are very expensive, both to buy and then to train. Trainers use geese to train herding dogs. Now with this new craze of boneless chickens, there is a new demand. Notice they have boneless chicken anything you can think of, boneless chicken wings for example. Ever been to a boneless chicken farm? They just lay there like a lump of jello. Pet rocks can be trained to herd them. I have opened up a kennel to train these rocks to herd, so send your money to pay tuition and acceptance will be determined like college entrance.
20 September 2021, 02:33
Use Enough Gun
rotflmo clap
26 September 2021, 21:15
carpetman1
I have some trained and ARC (American Rock Club)registered rocks for sale. All have won best in show. Have all their shots and ready to go. Both sexes available. They are going fast, contact me now to put one on hold.
26 September 2021, 21:31
Use Enough Gun
jumping
01 March 2022, 02:45
Steve E.
After a while I got tired of them showing up in my garden so recently I bought an Armalite AR50 and it does a good job on them. Not sure if I miss entirely or they are blown to smithereens though.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran