THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet another bulged case - Should I reload this?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys!

This is my first post on this forum. So many questions have already been asked and answered here, but I could really use your collective experience and knowledge on my specific problem.

So, long story short: I am brand new to reloading. I have recently bought all the basic equipment to get started (I think) and in my excitement over all these new tools I have started to measure and weigh everything in my shooting cabinet. I am the proud owner of a Bergara B-14 HMR chambered in 6.5 Creeedmoor and I was a bit surprised when none of the brass from that rifle (once fired) would fit in my "Go - No Go" Ammo checker from Lyman.

Looking closer, I noticed a circumferential bulge on the body of the case near the head. This rifle has only ever fired factory ammunition and interestingly, the bulge is at a very slightly different height depending on the brand of the brass.

I believe you will be able to see what I mean on these photos.

The 4 cases on the left are from Hornady ammunition, the ones to the right from Nosler.

On this one at the left and right are still Hornady and Nosler. Put side by side you can see that there is a line slightly higher on the Hornady compared to the Nosler, and it also shows the bulge where the two cases touch.

This shows how a non fired round fits nicely in the Lyman ammo checker while the fire formed brass is too big. According to Lyman, the ammo checker is manufactured to the minimum SAAMI specs of a 6.5CM chamber.

When I compare the measurements I took from a fired case to the SAAMI specs they are over sized for the maximum cartridge size but they are still smaller than the maximum chamber specs. In my research I have found photos of very similar cartridges but most people seemed to attribute the deformity to the reloading process. Something like "this line is where your full length resizing die ends". The thing is: these cases have never been in a press since they were bought.

(So much for the short story)
Finally, this is what I would like to know:
About my rifle: Do you think my rifle's chamber is out of spec? If so, should I expect this to affect my accuracy potential a lot?
About my brass: Can I safely reload this? Is it going to work harden this spot faster? Weaken it? Should I just neck size and leave the case head alone?

I'm bummed. I really like that gun and it is the main reason I wanted to start hand loading.

Your input is much appreciated. I have so much to learn.

Thanks a bunch!

XCCat

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Welcome.
Do not be bummed; you just started. Positive attitude. I guarantee that we will get your issue fixed. We, collectively, have seen it all. And then some.
You likely have no problem; forget all the gauges; your chamber is the gauge; will Properly resized brass go back in?
None of your fired brass goes in a gauge??? It ain't supposed to.
We need to see the "bulge"; one man's bulge is anther's GTG.
Your pics did not show up.
You have a rifle, not a gun.
Many new loaders tend to get hung up on stuff that doesn't matter; not saying you are.
Welcome.
I assume you have a pic hosting site; AR does not actually host pictures. They have to reside somewhere on the net first.

Posts: 17069 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

I did not realize that the photos did not show. I'll find them a hosting site to show you guys.

The fired cases fit perfectly in the rifle. I am absolutely hoping that it is not a big deal, I just want to be sure before I put some explosive stuff in there.

posted Hide Post
Done! I think it's working!

My photos should be easy to see here:

https://raphlav.wixsite.com/photobucket

One of Us
posted Hide Post
XCCat,
Yes, your pics can be seen now.
The changes you are seeing, and have described, on the fired brass are quite normal, and absolutely nothing to worry about. There is absolutely no reason to not reload and shoot this brass. What you call a "bulge" is simply normal brass expansion of a fired case. The "line" you see on the head location of the case is simply the area of less brass expansion on the fired case as the brass wall is thicker here. The reason for the slight difference between the Hornady and Nosler brass is down to brass manufacturing and where the head brass thickness starts to taper off.
dpcd is right. Don't worry about the "go / no-go" gauge. Your chamber is the gauge and ultimately you want to size brass to fit your chamber.
Just carry on using this brass and follow good handloading practises.
Happy Shooting.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1999 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks! This makes sense. It also makes me feel better about the situation. I'll resize and see where that puts me.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes what the King said.
Perfectly normal and all good.
Must be your first rifle.....

Posts: 17069 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
re-sizing it will put it back..
but it will also weaken the case and shorten it's life.
you want the case to fit the rifle as well as possible but with enough room to chamber and de-chamber the round easily.

Posts: 4964 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looks normal to me. The "Go-No-Go" Gauge only works with sized brass. have fun!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Specs for the cartridge have a minimum and maximum for the chamber. The cartridge has a minimum and maximum for the case. The case maximum has to be at or less than the chamber minimum or they won't chamber.
Even if your chamber was at maximum and your case was at minimum it is safe to fire.
Most manufactures make case less than the max size to ensure easy chambering of the case.
As 30-06king described when the case is fired the thinner case walls forward of the case head expand a bit more than the thicker walls at the head.
This may appear as a bulge anywhere from not hardly measurable to noticeable by the eye.
Unless it's very extreme it's fine.
Your size die will bring the case back to a size at or below the case max spec.
It may or may not remove this bulge, it will reduce it.
This is so because of manufacturing tolerances.
Will it shorten case life, not so much.
I do recommend neck sizing your cases to keep your fire formed cases fitting the chamber. After a few firings you may find the cases are getting to have a bit of resistance when chambering. This is normal On each firing the cases gets to fitting the chamber closer. It can get so close it won't chamber easily. At this time you need to Full length size your cases. This will bring them back to a size that chambers easily.
This is for target shooting mostly. For hunting you may want to F/L size just to ensure they all chamber easily. Having a round not chamber can really screw up a hunt. With dangerous game it can be a real life changer.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote