New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder measures
 Login/Join

<marrfam>
posted
I am am looking at replacing my existing mesure and I am wanting input. I have decided on the following manufactures Forrester,Hornady, Lyman,and Redding. Thanks in advance.

<Bill>
posted
I have the Lyman, its nice. It is the only measure I have ever owned, so I can't say if it is better then others, but I like mine.

Bill

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
marrfam - I am a huge fan of the Redding BR-30 for my magnum loads. I also use a Harrell Premium for the smaller throws.

For an all around best, I would stick with the BR-30. Get them at Sinclair - 219 493-1858.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
Buy the harells premium powder measurer and you will have the best. I have used them all including the custom ones, the harells is by far the best.Its worth the extra $$$$$$.

<phurley>
posted
marrfam -- I have the Lyman automatic dispenser, the RCBS electronic dispenser and electronic scale, and three balance beams. I use them all extensively. I really like the automatic and electronic units because of their speed. On occasion when I have the quick units filled with the powders I use most and need to load just a few rounds of a new powder I still use the balance beams. Good Shooting.

------------------

<Budweiser>
posted
I also own a LYMAN,it has given me no
trouble so far.But if you buy anyone
of which is on your list? Don't see a
problem they are all good manufacturers.

Straight Shooting
Budweiser

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harell,Jones and Bruno all make custom powder measures and these run in the range of $250. All you need to do is have a scale and find out how many clicks for a certain powder and you never have to worry again as long as you set those clicks for that powder.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Pumba>
posted
Marrfam,

All the powder measures that you are looking at are OKAY, but they are not great. Guys like Neil Jones of Custom Products make great powder measures that benchrest shooters use.

Save your money for a great powder scale. Contact Denver instrument and get one of their electronic scales that is accurate to +/- 0.01 grains. Weigh every charge and hold your tolerance to =/- 0.02 grains and you will have much better results.

Good Hunting !

<HBH>
posted
Pumba,
Where have you been? I was about to send out a search party. Good articles in the APHA.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think one is as good as the other, its the consistency of the user that makes an accurate powder measure...I have two, an old Redding and and old Hollywood and I mean old but I can toss loads so close (with certain powders)that I seldom use the scale...but I never use powders that don't near fill the case to the neck...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
Not a single voice mentioning the Lee Perfect powder measure? Come on guys, I know you've tried it!

-- Mats

<vssf>
posted
I've got a Lee and I'm very happy with it.

Regards

Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Hornady for 10 years with no problems.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Fanback>
posted
I love my Redding. It is much better than the RCBS that I had.

<sed1945>
posted
I purchased one of the new Lyman autoscales.. fill the hopper with the powder of your choice set the scale and push a button.Each charge is weighed and dropped in a pan. Don't know how I ever got along without it.

<Loren>
posted
I have a Lee and am pretty happy with it, but I had a Lyman years ago that I wish I'd have kept. The measures with brass and iron are much smoother.

The Lee seems pretty accurate if I do my part.

<Todd A Kindler>
posted
Buy a Harrell Precision Measure it will be the best loading tool you ever purchased. I tell shooters buy a Harrell measure and an inexpensive scale. You do need to learn to use any powder measure correctly!
The Woodchuck Den (330) 897-0614 www.woodchuckden.com
Todd Kindler-Editor Small Caliber News www.smallcaliber.com

<PowderBurns>
posted
OK, maybe I'm a Cretin . . .

RCBS Uniflow is giving me gnat's ass accuracy on thrown charges every time. RCBS provides a lifetime "no questions" warranty. They sent me the "pistol" die for the measure free of charge.

RCBS also replaced my 12 yr. old bench primer tool after I messed it up, again no questions, no charge.

These other measures . . . they tossing out to +/- 0.001 gr or something?

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Speedy>
posted
Another vote for Lyman Autoscale!!!!! the one thing about it is it measures onto a balance beam, not electronics. If zero'd properly, a balance beam can't go wrong. I've had electronic scales go batty on me several times. I don't trust them any more.

------------------
Pausing to reload,

Rick

Never volunteer. Trust no one. Expect sabotage.

<brandx>
posted
Speedy....next time you get to Kesselrings, ask Ron or Jim about the Prometheus they have. It's faster, easier, and more accurate than what you're using.

<ARshooter>
posted
I have the Redding BR-30 and have great results with it. My tests have shown that it will throw a charge +/- .1 of a grain. It compares with my old Saeco measure. I also have the Pact electronic measure which works very well. I use the Pact for load development and the Redding to make mass quanties of ammo.