Any 9mm Luger Reloaders here?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted
What is the cleanest as well as accurate powder for the 9mm
105-115gr copper bullets? I've been reloading for 50+ years,
but this is new to me. For what I've been reading, Alliant
Power Pistol looks good, but I have no experience with it.

Has anyone attempted to use Rem 6 1/2 primers in their 9mm
cases? I picked up a carton years ago thinking they were 7 1/2,
duh. Certainly cannot be used in the .204R or Tac20!!

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what the cleanest is but I loaded 10's of thousands of rounds with red dot.

I used every brand of small pistol primers out there.

I notice not difference between them.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannoBoone:

You can use them in lower pressure small rifle applications, ie., Hornet pressures. Ken Waters used them in .222. I'd even use them in a .223 bolt gun (reduced loads) if I had one.

Many open bolt subgun shooters prefer small rifle primers for their 9mm loads. I find it good to cut back on charge slightly. Start with a 0.5 grain reduction (thereabouts) and chrono. Like you, picked up Rem 6.5s on closeout and they are destined for 9x19. If Glock strikers don't set them off, will feed them to omnivore Uzis.

Friend likes Accurate #5 for cleanliness, I use 231......well that's what I have. Like p dog shooter, have used RD.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alliant has cleaned up their powders some. For 9mm I like Unique, Red Dot, Bullseye, HP-38 (WW231 same stuff) WW Auto Comp. All are fine With the real fast powders you'll notice a real quick slide snap back, whereas the slower powders don't snap it back as fast.

If you are at maximum charges be very careful of bullet depth seating. This is a very small capacity case and seating deep with full charges can raise pressures pretty much.

I doubt the Glocks will set rifle primers off. In fact if your primers aren't fully seated a Glock won't set them off. One thing I hate about striker fired pistols.

If you get a mould and cast bullets you can shoot a lot cheaper, albeit dirtier.

Some 9mm's need a pretty stiff charge to function properly like the German Luger.

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
The cleanest powder hands-down is PB. It is a shotgun powder but works well in hand guns.
I've been shooting it for 50 years now and it leaves less residue of any powder I have ever shot.
It only comes in 1/2 pound cans or 8 pound jugs.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 443 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Power Pistol is the best powder that I have found for the 9luger, but other powders such as those listed by other members will work. I would advise against Unique because you say you want it to burn clean. Win 231 was my go-to powder for this cartridge until I tried PP and was very impressed with performance.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
Power Pistol is the best powder that I have found for the 9luger, but other powders such as those listed by other members will work. I would advise against Unique because you say you want it to burn clean. Win 231 was my go-to powder for this cartridge until I tried PP and was very impressed with performance.

The new Alliant powders are pretty clean burning. When you're shooting jacketed none of them are really that bad unless you're shooting hundreds of round each time. Like I stated with cast bullets no powders are clean!!!

The 231 today is Hodgdon's HP-38. It's not the good old stuff like when Winchester made it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
The cleanest powder hands-down is PB. It is a shotgun powder but works well in hand guns.
I've been shooting it for 50 years now and it leaves less residue of any powder I have ever shot.
It only comes in 1/2 pound cans or 8 pound jugs.

Hodgdon doesn't make that powder anymore!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go through about 350 or so rounds a week of 9mm so the press's are always running. I've been a Power Pistol fan for a long time and will continue, but as of the last year Alliant Sport pistol has been my go to powder for target shooting. Sport Pistol is very clean and accuracy is excellent. Silhouette is another powder that will work well on the top end with Precision Delta 124 gr HP.

Posts: 143 | Location: mid-michigan | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope.

I have had better luck with the faster powders in the 9mm.700-X is a good one.
I used bulls-eye last time, and red-dot the time before that.

about the only one I don't like in the 9mm is titegroup.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For clean I'd go with VV N320.

Most of my 9mm loads are titegroup with 147's or AA7 with 115's. this is for competition (3gun, USPSA, and IDPA.)

Even the dirty stuff functions for over 500 rounds for me.

VV is cleaner and gives lower SD's, but since I clean the competition guns periodically, and for volume shooting, the VV Is substantially more expensive.

As to Remington primers, I got gas cutting around the breechface with 9mm major loads using Remington. I've minimized using Remington primers since then... federals cause the least trouble but can be hard to find at times, and their big box format is clunky.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannoBoone:
What is the cleanest as well as accurate powder for the 9mm
105-115gr copper bullets? I've been reloading for 50+ years,
but this is new to me. For what I've been reading, Alliant
Power Pistol looks good, but I have no experience with it.

I have used & continue to load unique in my 9mm, 40s&w & 45 for years, I haven't noticed it being dirty, great accuracy + I have 20+ #'s of it to burn up tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all with the replies and suggestions.

I have gone with Alliant Power Pistol.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Made a few rounds using Power Pistol and the Rem 6 1/2's yesterday. They all
went bang.

Next problem. The pistol in question is a Springfield XDS with a REAL lawyer
trigger, in excess of a 9# pull!! My wife can barely pull the trigger. Needless to
say, she can hit nothing with it and my accuracy is no doubt effected. Would like
to get it down to 3-4 pounds. Any suggestions? The PRP springer kit looks
promising. Has anyone used one of their spring kits? If so, is there much
difficulty with installing? I have replaced and worked on several bolt action
triggers, but this is a different ball game. The nearest operation I have performed
to this is a trigger spring kit in a Marlin M60 with much fewer springs to deal
with!

CORRECTION: Apparently was holding the gauge too high on the trigger the first
couple of tests. Holding it lower on the trigger, I got a 7 1/4# pull with three
dry fires.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People used to load for accuracy. Now they seem to load for "clean."
Power Pistol has been the most accurate powder I have found for 9x19, though Silhouette is close and is about the best for 9x21 and .38 Super..
PB was the cleanest powder, but folks never seemed to consider it and let it die. After firing, the case was almost as shiny as it was before firing, including the primer pocket.
Maybe all the "clean" powder folks should beg IMR to bring it back.
Any action pistol site will have lots of opinions about "clean" powders, as 4" groups at 15 yards seemed sufficient for them.
I consider VV powders to be pretty "clean,"
So, was PP clean enough for you?

Posts: 129 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Yes, PP is leaving very, very little residue. Accuracy? I need to either
get a trigger job on this Springfield Armory XD-S or learn how to keep
it from pulling to the right just as the sear engages when shooting it
left handed or pulling up when shooting it right handed.

For defense purposes, I got Lehigh Controlled Fracture .651" and Lehigh
Extreme Penetrator .634". Both are much longer than my practice bullets
Hornady solids .451". With the cases loaded to 6.5gr PP, the base of the
Hornadys just do touch the powder. To load the other two so they will
fit in the magazine, it would take quite a bit of powder compression.
Would that be remotely safe? I believe even backing off a grain, the
Lehigh's would still have to compress the powder for correct length.