THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .375 Chatfield Taylor aka 375-338 aka 375 Taylor

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Chatfield Taylor aka 375-338 aka 375 Taylor
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I'm a newbie here. Just bought a rifle chambered in .375 Chatfield Taylor and looking for some load data. I've trawled through a heap of old threads on here, circa 2004, and pciked up some info, but just wondering if anyone is still shooting this, and what bullets are working well. Barnes TSX are great but here in Oz they are hellishly expensive...

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Can't help, but hope someone will step up. I had a .416 Taylor and wish I still did.
Welcome to AR!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Norma 358/375 made in the early 1970's. It was the forerunner of what you have. The loads are interchangeable. The chronographed performance exceeds those of the 375 H&H.

Find the bullets that you wish to use and send me a private message requesting recommended load data. Also advise the type of action, barrel length, and what you plan to hunt with it. I hunted Australia about 8 times, including 3 asian buffalo culls.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Like any other new wildcat, you work up loads for your particular rifle; pick the bullets you like/can get, and a medium burning powder that you have there. Any powder that works in a 375 H&H will work for you and that is most of them. Load until you get pressure signs; back off some. That is your load. No one can give you a load for your particular equipment and component combination.
I would measure the case capacity, compare it to a 375 H&H, and interpolate from there. You will have something like 90%.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the CTs are nothing more than the 338 win necked up to 375, 416, If you go to 458, you just built a 458 win. and You can neck down a 458 Win case to the 375 or 416 as well..

It was and is a great wildcat, but I suspect the 375 Ruger will spell the death nil for the CTS.?

A 338 win is basically and balistically a 338 Chatfield Taylor, depending on the die..

The .338 case is a wonder case, is now and always will be..Any caliber you neck it to is an awsome caliber..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. I was hoping someone else might still be shooting this 'old' wildcat. Seems like its gone the way of the dodo like so many other wildcats. I've put together the info I have found in forums into a spreadsheet, (if you're interested please message me) just in case someone else may be looking for this in the future.