New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee hand press?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents what are the largest calibres that might be practically reloaded with the Lee hand press( aka the one you don't bolt down) I know a few folks use them for pistol and lever cartridges...but would bottleneck centrefire be out of the question. How about 375 H&H, impossible?

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living in an apartment while waiting for the family to move, I FL resized 100 new 375 H&H and 100 new 300 RUM with mine. Not easy work, but what else did I have to do? Just used it last week to work up a new load for a 458 Lott at the range. Just seated bullets. So it has the length, but lacks the leverage. It will get the job done, using both hands and squeezing against your chest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Arniet, that's the information I was after.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One further question I forgot- is it capable of the same precision as large mounted presses? As in loading cartridges with the same level of shooting accuracy? Or is there inherent losses using this sort of press?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to get into big rifle rounds you want the Buchanan Precision Hand Press. I just used mine the other day to load up some .30-40 Krag test ammo. This press is every bit as accurate as my Rock Chucker. It's an improved and updated version of the old Huntington Compac Press. Some of you may have read about it, Brian Pierce did an article on it in Handloader magazine last year. Ya it's spendy but it's well worth it.

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvRkshKPW9M&t=73s

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes they are capable of precision; still using the same dies aren't you? As for power, the 375 does not take much more sizing than a 30-06 and sometimes less depending on a few other factors.
The disadvantage of that hand press is that it is not as user friendly as a bench mounted one. Have to get used to how it works. Push it against the floor. Not your chest.

Posts: 17071 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents!

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The Lee Hand Press is great.

I use it for 416 Rigby, 500 AccRel, 375 Ruger, 338 WM, and on down. that includes full-length sizing and bullet pulling with a collet die.
The accuracy is excellent although technically depends on the dies and their bullet seating.

In addition, one can travel with it for fixing or altering loads should the need/desire arise.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee hand press, used primarily for loading away from home. As noted, it is capable of use with rifle cases and can make a load as accurate as with a benchmount press. but also, if going beyond neck sizing, use plenty of lube and get ready for a work-out with your arms. the leverage is barely enough to do the job.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I loaded my first 1000 rounds of 270 with a Lee Loader and a Redding scale. Neck sized cases almost bench rest quality ammo. Takes a little longer, but extreemly portable.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4715 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one for loading away from home, mostly to get around airline ammo
weight restrictions, but a bit of load development at the range as well.

The "Thighmaster" jokes practically write themselves Wink , but FL sizing large magnum cases is very doable.

A few tips are in order. First off, forget everything you know about setting FL dies. The presses don't cam over. If you want real control of the sizing process use the Redding competition shellholders to
limit the amount of sizing if necessary. It also makes life simple if you are using the same dies on your home press as well. Same dies for different rifles? Piece of cake.

Use Imperial (Redding) Bio-Green liquid lube. It's a day and night difference in sizing effort over Sizing die wax or any other lube I've tried in anything. That makes a big difference when you don't have an over abundance of leverage either coming or going. You won't believe it's the same press, its that different. I have no idea what's in it.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right. Since I used it against my chest, my boobies got bigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, there you go. A must for the woman who isn't well endowed; and can't crack walnuts.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote