Find
Notify
Tools

Darned Hornady shellholders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I bought Hornady's cam-lock case trimmer and darned if it will only accept Hornady shellholders, which have a much larger hole in the stem for primers than do the shellholders from RCBS and Lee. And to add insult to injury, they don't make a shellholder for the .50-70 Government case. Have an e-mail in asking if their No. 25 for the .348 will accept .50-70 brass. Did I mention I really dislike case trimming?

Mad

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

If you do a lot of case trimming, as we do, there is nothing like the Wilson.

We have so many wildcats that standard case holders will not fit, so I always keep a stock of what we consider normal holders.

Like having several at hand of holders for the 223, 308, 300 Mag, the large Weatherby and so on.

I just modify them on the lath to fut whatever we need them for.

I have had problems with some shell holders - apparently the distance from the base of the case and the top of the shell is not always the same.

This affects how far the case goes into the sizing die.

Under normal circumstances it does not really matter.

But when case forming it can mean the difference between the operation working or not.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I traded my Hornady Case Trimmer for the much better Redding version. Hornady's shellholders are annoying. Need to change for different head sizes and when finished trimming the holder never faces the right way to extract cases. Reddings product has a collet that takes many head sizes. The largest I use is .375 H&H. The case is turned against the static cutter which is different but it sure does a neat job. Also wonderful with Reddings micrometer for easy trim length setting. A bit more spendy than others but well worth it.

https://drive.google.com/file/...SzZ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/...GJh/view?usp=sharing

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote