Find
Notify
Tools

Hydraulic Form Dies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
Have any of you used these. Supposedly from Hornady although I can not find a link on their website.

Heard you could send in a case formed to your chamber and they will make a die to those exact dimensions with a solid shell holder and compression rod. The top is open and you fill with water and with the rod and hammer compress the water to form the case from the inside out to the die dimensions.

About $130.00.

Have a "distinguished" colleague who "has one coming" but he has been known to pull a fast one on me sometimes. Big Grin

True deal or is somebody full of water?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Eekeryears back I worked with a female tool and die maker that used that technique a lot ,but not with water. She used soft rubber. Just as incompressable as water with no leakage.Also used a press and not a hammer. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
now that would be nice to make 500 ARs with.. i'll check with H in a couple days

i think you could make one, by slipping a feeler gauge under your primer (spent) and making an adaptor to fit the sizer plug... .. that would be a plug the ID of your rezised necks...

gibbs sold something (us, not england) made one you used ac compressor oil with...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
...Have a "distinguished" colleague who "has one coming" but he has been known to pull a fast one on me sometimes. Big Grin

True deal or is somebody full of water?
Be sure to have BH do the initial Testing in the Living Room if possible. More "Thingys". holycow clap

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Okay, I just made one...

and you can too, for about 30 bucks, mebbe 40, if you have to make a part that I didn't.

I tried several things, then I soldered a piece of 1/4" screw blank into a shell holder (this turned out to be the most annoying part) and cleaned that up.

then I made a brass piston that was .750 shorter than the depth from the top of my die to the base of the case.. I made this from .750 brass rod, with a .400 section, a taper, and a .475, as i was PURPOSELY using too long brass to help me seal on making my 500 AR brass.

and you will have to make a smooth bore bushing (my die was already) that threads into the top of the die and provides a pistion bore for your driving rod...

your driving rod should JUST fit into the neck..

and then I seated a spent primer, filled with water, held with a rag, smacke with a deadfall hammer, and pushed the cases out to .570-.572 at the shoulder. This is about .030!! and HUGE ...

i then formed the cases as if they had been fireformed.

Worked great.. messy-ish, but great
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey jeffeosso

Okay, so how much would you make one for in 6.5 rem mag or 300 win mag?

I need a new "thingy" to irritate HC with! dancing popcorn Come to think of it HC should like these "thingies" cause they use household items like hammers and water (he's the baling wire and duct tape guru)! jumping

I may be wanting one for a different purpose than you. I want one to pre-expand belted cases to cut down on the initial thinning at the web due to excessive headspace and not to form wildcat or specialty cases.

Wouldn't you need a die that exactly fit the dimensions of that particular gun's chamber? I think Hornady measures the sent in cases to exact size and dies are hard to make.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Wouldn't you need a die that exactly fit the dimensions of that particular gun's chamber? ...
You could just fill the Case with Case Forming Sand(CFS), Stick a punch in the Case Neck and give ita slight tap with the old Sledge. No Thingys needed. Then dump the CFS into the next Case and toss the first one in the Tumbler. When the first one comes out, it is ready to be Resized. What could be easier?!??!?!?!?!? clap

I suppose I could sell you and BH some "special" CFS(diggin getting the "special" CFS). Looks like $25(Plus S&H Eeker) would beat the cost of any of the other Methods and Thingys.

Shipping is in a Duct Taped Box.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

I suppose I could sell you and BH some "special" CFS(diggin getting the "special" CFS). Looks like $25(Plus S&H Eeker) would beat the cost of any of the other Methods and Thingys.

Shipping is in a Duct Taped Box.

Get me a hundred boxes ready. I'll send BH up to pick it up. Your check's in the mail. Big Grin

I'll tell BH to send that 30-06AI die back to Hornady for a refund.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably arrive in "today's" mail. Big Grin

So he decided to AI the good old 30-06 bewildered. Did he have a Stoney Point Thingy slip and pop him upside the head????? rotflmo Should be able to get an extra 43.098fps-51.637fps out of the AI-ed 30-06.

Chambering cost + Special Die cost + Water Expansion Thingy cost + Elbow Grease cost + new Thingy for the old Thingy cost + New Barrel cost = $xxx.xx

And we get to, $xxx.xx / 47.31pfps(rough average) of the velocity increase = $$$Priceless$$$ clap BOOM
-----

By the way, how is the 6.5RemMag Browning shooting?

On a slight digression, my buddy with the 308Win(non-AI) Titanium Mountain A-Bolt got 8-Deer(1-shot each) with it this year, the last time I heard. Hasn't "thrown away" this rifle (yet Roll Eyes). He has managed to leave the Illuminated Leupold on "over-night" a couple of times though and the battery is still going strong.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:

By the way, how is the 6.5RemMag Browning shooting?

Should arrive in the mail this week or next. Westpac just got it back from the bluers the day before Christmas. Said it turned out real good after all the trouble. Got a 223 rem 24" bull barrel arriving shortly for my Bushmaster also so I will have lots to do this winter. clap What do you think about this scope for the Bushmaster for hunting pigs at night?

quote:
On a slight digression, my buddy with the 308Win(non-AI) Titanium Mountain A-Bolt got 8-Deer(1-shot each) with it this year, the last time I heard.

Just imagine what he could have shot with the AI version. Probably could have shot 8 deer! BOOM

How about you shot anything other than yourself in the foot lately? popcorn

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a scope!!! Eeker That should do perfectly for the Browning, especially with the " 2 " Infrared Flashlights along each side of the Forearm.

I believe I read somewhere(maybe the NRA American Hunter) that someone makes a scope similar to that and it records what is seen so you can play it back on a computer. If I see it again, I feel sure I'll think of you and let you know where I spotted it. Big Grin
-----

Way tooooo cold to be out shooting things over here. It was 11deg at wake-up. I normally let the critters have Free Roam once it gets below 40deg.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Woods,
I just used the dies I had, as I was tryign to avoid the initial fireforming... i think your concept would require a different tool, as I had no intention of perfectly matching the chamber, rather my intention was to match teh reszing die... and you don't want to resize them (i think) which means, well, non0sequitor!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a scope!!! Eeker That should do perfectly for the Browning, especially with the " 2 " Infrared Flashlights along each side of the Forearm.

I believe I read somewhere(maybe the NRA American Hunter) that someone makes a scope similar to that and it records what is seen so you can play it back on a computer. If I see it again, I feel sure I'll think of you and let you know where I spotted it. Big Grin
-----

No, no, no, no, not on the Browning on the Bushmaster AR15 223 rem with a 24" bull barrel.. It would look out of place on a wood stocked bolt rifle! hillbilly It will look just right on a black AR gun. salute BTW, that Elcan scope does take the pictures you are talking about. The day/night would work good for those nocturnal pigs at the ranch.

Besides I already have a Zeiss 4.5x14x44 scope

with a RapidZ 800 reticle for the 6.5 rem mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...No, no, no, no, not on the Browning on the Bushmaster AR15 223 rem ...
shocker

Not real sure which way to respond to this. I could claim I suspect you really do intend to put the Elcan on the Browning(with the two IR Flashlights) and just using the AR15 as camo for the plan.

Or...., I could admit I totally misread the post and somehow got it all clintoned-up as I was thinking about it. Huuummm..., which way to go??? nilly Big Grin

(One soda pop with Splenda in it gives me a "Thingy" style headache. Need to stick with unsweetened Tea.)
----

I do seem to remember looking at that fine Zeiss Scope and RapidZ 800 Reticle before. It should make a fine scope (for either rifle Big Grin)
----

I suppose the absence of BH in this thread indicates he did try the new Thingy in the Living Room and is now recovering from the whuppin the BOSS gave him? Wink
----

What kind of Bullets will you be using in the 6.5RemMag?

What kind of Gun Case is needed for the Elcan mounted on a rifle?

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not real sure which way to respond to this. I could claim I suspect you really do intend to put the Elcan on the Browning(with the two IR Flashlights) and just using the AR15 as camo for the plan.

Or...., I could admit I totally misread the post and somehow got it all clintoned-up as I was thinking about it. Huuummm..., which way to go??? nilly Big Grin

(One soda pop with Splenda in it gives me a "Thingy" style headache. Need to stick with unsweetened Tea.)

Hell to get old, huh? Pitiful rotflmo

quote:
I suppose the absence of BH in this thread indicates he did try the new Thingy in the Living Room and is now recovering from the whuppin the BOSS gave him?

PM'ed you

quote:
What kind of Bullets will you be using in the 6.5RemMag?

130 Nosler Accubond

quote:
What kind of Gun Case is needed for the Elcan mounted on a rifle?

Just mount it on top of the 4 wheeler like a machine gun!! BOOM jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Hell to get old, huh? Pitiful rotflmo
There are a lot of advantages to youth. Just being able to sneak in the woods without having your joints cracking like kindling is one that comes quickly to mind.

All you Beginners make as many fine memories as you can while you are able to. They do help keep you sane as you begin creeking.(Can't read well as shown above, but that is different! Cool)

quote:
...130 Nosler Accubond
I thought one of your Heros (ad) said the Accubonds aren't any good a couple of years ago. Seems as if he hosed some shots in Africa with them and "claimed" it was the Bullet. But, that was a different Caliber.

quote:
...Just mount it on top of the 4 wheeler like a machine gun!! BOOM jumping
I can see that in my mind as you go tearing through the 12' tall tomato vines.

Best of luck to you and BH.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was the original "outside the rifle" forming method
that Rocky Gibbs employed with many of his wildcat cartridges for case forming.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote