Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Boss & JHP bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Does anyone here have 357 mag data with JHP bullets and Trail Boss? Almost all stuff I find is for lead and some plated bullets. My reason for asking is I lucked into several thousand 158 JHP's and quite a bit of Trail Boss.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have my condolences.
just follow the recommendations the trail boss guys put out for it's use, you'll be near 35-K in pressure for a 700 fps load but it will work.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
IMO Trail Boss is a poor choice of powder for any type or weight of bullet in the 357 Mag. I use it in my 45 Colts and a little in my 44 Mags with lead bullets but I never once thought of using it in my 357. Even the kids over at Ammo Guide (which you should be a member) don't think much about it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trailboss can’t be too terrible in the .357 since Hodgdon lists data for it (although just with lead bullets), it was originally designed for pistol cartridges afterall. You won’t find data for 700 fps and 35,000 psi though. Their data with a 158 is 865 fps at just over 20,000 psi.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When is doubt, use lead bullet data.
Don't know, but Hodgdon sells it under the IMR brand, so an IMR load book might have data or you can all Hodgdon.
Here is how Hodgdon says to load TrailBoss:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/1Rw5rsdW/Trail-Boss-Loads.jpg"> [/IMG]

Posts: 129 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Looks like TB in the mag and jhp's aren't too good together so I think I'll use the Trail Boss in my 45 Colt and some 38 Spl lead loads. The jhp's will do me good for years in 38 spl and mag loads. Thanks all for the advice.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont believe all you read.
Trailboss works great for reduced loads in many calibers of pistol, most especially magnums. I use a ton of it for practice.
I am guessing 3.5-4.0 will fill it up, but use the lead data.
I doubt you could fit enough in there to hurt anything

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote