New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
was just thinking (hard to believe isn't it)the old german 98 and the 8x57. i kindagrewup blasting away with an old mauser and surplus 8x57 rounds. and i was just thinking about all the good stuff that came from that round.Of course there is the great 7x57. but then agin ther is the 257 roberts.the 9x57 or its brother the 9.3x57 certainly have accounted for quite alot of game then again the old remmy 244 came along. but don't forget the prince
of the 6.5's the 6.5x57. and if you wanted a varmint hotshot with heavy 224 bullets the 22x;57 or 224 clark came about. pretty universal old round huh. they probably even chamber a blaser for one of them. but so much for sad endings

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Significantly underestimated round.

I have a 20" 8x57 M98 Mannlicher I built. Shoots 200 gr bullets at 2,425 fps. Light rifle, metal buttplate, light recoil. TKO = 22

Go calculate the TKO for this rifle versus a 300 Win Mag with 180 gr at 3000 fps.

Long barrel, lots of recoil. TKO=23

The 300 Win Mag is a good 250+ yard gun. The Mauser is more efficient within 250 yards.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
In the last century, the 8x57 was the most widely loaded rifle round in the world.In the club I run,the 8mm Mauser is the second most popular cartridge used by my members out to 1,000 yards.
I have been a fan of the 8x57 since the early 60's and have fired a couple hundred thousand rounds through my rifles and MG's.
It will always be my favorite military caliber cartridge.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 443 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is a great round, no doubt. I often wondered why the rest of the world went with .30 caliber whilst the Germans used .32. Remember, Mauser developed a .30 caliber round (7.65 x53) right after the 8mm was introduced so you can say that the first cartridge developed by Mauser was a 30 caliber. (Mauser did not develop the 8mm) Except Spain and some South American countries went with 7mm but those are comparatively small numbers compared with .30s and 8s.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You forgot one of the most popular and useful of all the x57's, the 10.75x57. Whistling

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that the 8x57, the 30-06, and the .308 has been necked up and down to every conceivable caliber.
I've read that 30cal was selected as opposed to the 8mm was of an aversion to the "European? measurements. Like the 7x57 became the .275 when it crossed the channel.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote