Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSSM
 Login/Join

posted
Hey gang. I just purchased a 270 wsm. Any chance a fella could get some info on good powder and loads for this caliber? I would like to use a 140 or 150 grain bullet. Thanks!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My go to load for the .270 WSM is 68 grains of RL-25 and any 140 grain bullet. I use Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds all blems, as well as Barnes TSX with excellent results on Deer. My primer is Fed 210 Match. I also use 160 grain Nosler Partition for Elk and that load is 67.5 grains of Magpro an same primer. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any loads.
stock up on brass, and watch your shoulder length.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one that a guy may have trouble finding brass for in the future. I don't have one and only know one person that used to.
He had good luck with R-25 and 160gr Accubond. He loaded at Max and had .5 groups at the hundred.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Your post title reads WSSM and I believe you mean WSM, the others (WSSM) are super short and available in .223, .243, .25 cal.
My brother passed on and left my sons a 270 WSM, 300 WSM and a 325 WSM. All very capable.
His 270 WSM shot Federal factory ammo in 110 grain TTSX and 130 grain Ballistic Silvertips very well. With the Barnes 110 he shot several deer, elk and antelope and we never found a bullet all pass throughs.
His were very accurate with Federal and Winchester black box factory ammo so I've not yet developed a load for it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A true fad cartridge that should never have been born; of all them, the most useless. I even have a reamer, I jumped onto the fad as soon as it hit as I often do; in case someone wants to build one.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
A true fad cartridge that should never have been born; of all them, the most useless. I even have a reamer, I jumped onto the fad as soon as it hit as I often do; in case someone wants to build one.

Not quite a fad considering the ammo is still easily available and still chambered in several new rifles.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I jus never saw the usefulness of a 270 of any ilk, short or long. There were already far better 7mms on earth when the 270 came out in the US.
But for those who like it, good.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I jus never saw the usefulness of a 270 of any ilk, short or long. There were already far better 7mms on earth when the 270 came out in the US.
But for those who like it, good.

The 270 WCF beat the .280 Rem by decades and the standard action
270 WCF out performs the .275 Rigby AKA 7x57

The 270WSM was the first new .277 in a very long time....marketing geniuses knew it would sell good and it did and still does. The WSM has a great shoulder that gives brass life a +1

Sheep and goat hunters as well as many mountain hunters love them.

Then again.....if its not a Walnut Snouser in 9.2 or 7x57 some here quickly run of at the snout.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
A true fad cartridge that should never have been born; of all them, the most useless

These statements always crack me up, great entertainment from the curmudgeons.
All cartridge development should have stopped after.......… (enter your favorite stick in the mud cartridge here)usually the stick in the muds say 7x57, 8x57, 30/06 or some other blab.
Relax you stick in the muds they are producing NEW cartridges every year, try to enjoy it.
The WSM's are hardly a fad they've been around for 17 years and rifles are being produced in them to this day.
DPCD you are not speaking in facts merely fantasy.

I can't resist: the 7mm's are great but he has no use for .270 of any ilk, the difference is a whopping .007" this makes me actually laugh out loud !

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The one I had loved the Sierra 140 bthp gameking with a stout load of reloader 19.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William 1986:
Hey gang. I just purchased a 270 wsm. Any chance a fella could get some info on good powder and loads for this caliber? I would like to use a 140 or 150 grain bullet. Thanks!!

I have 2 sets of dies if you are in need .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to say guys, I certainly not a fan of the .277 bullet and especially the .270 Winchester.
Not enough results for me for the powder burn, recoil, and few bullet weights out there.
Just my feeling on it.

Sorry if I just called your girlfriend ugly.
To each his own.
Certainly one reason so many different cartridges out there to choose from.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot and load four 270 WSM ‘s. Why so many, my son and two hunting grandsons think there is no better deer rifle at home and out west. I also hunt Elk with it and with a 160 gr. Nosler Partition it more than holds it own. All my rifles are Winchester Modle 70’s, a Stainless Steel all weather and the others Limited Editions with gorgeous wood. Scopes are all Ziess Conquest from 2.5X10 up to 6.5X20. I have enough brass to last my great grandson and his a lifetime, all bought cheap before prices went sky high as well as 1000 blems from Nosler I paid $10.00 per 50 for. All my rifles will shoot ragged hole groups when the shooter does his part. I had faster rifles, a .257 Wby, larger rifles, 7mm STW and .300 Winny. None of them shooot any sweeter than the WSM’s, which are light to carry and have plenty of fire power. 130 grain Northfork at 3450 fps, 140 grainers at 3225 fps plus, 160 grainers at 2950 fps. —————- All you naysayers should shoot a .270 WSM then form an opinion or better yet come see how my guys take up to 20 Deer a year with ours. Good Shooting.

phurley

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phurley5: I was just wondering why you use the Fed. 210 primer in the .270 WSM? I have been using the Fed. 215 with good results. Do you think it would be worth trying the 210s in my rifle? I am shooting a Sako M85. My favorite load so far is the 140 gr. Nosler partition wih RL-22. I am getting groups of 0.40 to 0.75 inches at 100 yards. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
Phurley5: I was just wondering why you use the Fed. 210 primer in the .270 WSM? I have been using the Fed. 215 with good results. Do you think it would be worth trying the 210s in my rifle? I am shooting a Sako M85. My favorite load so far is the 140 gr. Nosler partition wih RL-22. I am getting groups of 0.40 to 0.75 inches at 100 yards. Thanks.

If you've found a load your rifle likes, why care what makes up the load, or even someone else's load, be happy you found a great load.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird:

Maybe it is just my curiosity after 40 years working in the physical sciences. I am going to try some other bullets and powders so I am curios about trying the standard primers at the same time. A friend who taught me a lot about reloading when I was getting started recommended magnum primers once powder charges got above about 50-55 grains. I have generally followed that, but have experimented with various rifles and powders and found that while that is good starting information, it is not an absolute rule. I now have over 50 years experience in handloading but find I can still learn new things.

Dale

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Federal 210M primer in all my .270 WSM’s because for years now I have had a love affair with that particular primer. This comes after many years and many thousands of loads tested. For instance with my .300 Winny loads over the years with many different rifles of my own and those of buddies I shoot for them I found the 210M primer gave smaller groups than the recommended Fed 215. I love small groups and and find that primer gives more than any other. For what it is worth this is the way I do it. Good Shooting.

phurley

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I have a 270 WSM and have had great results with R-19, R-22 and Retumbo.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
phurley:

Thanks for the reply. I will have to try the 210M. Right now I am working with a .300 Win. that I have not gotten to shoot as well as I would like, so maybe a change in primer will help.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best load sounds a little light compared to what you guys are saying you get. My Ruger 77 only has a 22" barrel that must be the problem. Any way using 66gr of Norma MRP I only got average of 3112fps. SD was 5.9 for 5 shots. used 215M primers R/P cases 2.80 OAL 140gr Hornady Interlock BTSP. Good news is it was accurate.

65gr of RL23 got 3128fps using WLRM primers Win cases 140gr Accubond, 2.835OAL Also accurate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with 140 Accubonds over R26. WLR primers shoot better that Fed 215s in my rifle (with several other powders as well). R19 works well too with the 140s. I have no experience with 150s so can't comment.

Posts: 99 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
My dad bought one very early on in the WSM craze. I started working up a load before data were readily available, so I did some extrapolating based on .270 Win and .270 Wby. I worked up a very accurate load with H1000. It's not recommended in the reloading books I have now, but it works great with 140 grain Barnes TSX bullets, which Dad has used to kill all kinds of critters here and in Africa.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Don't know how true it is but an old reloader that gave me a lot of advice said anything over 60 grains of powder should have a magnum primer and anything below can get away with standard rifle primer.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Everyone, Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses and info!! I am really liking my Browning 270wsm. I will post my load after I fine tune things.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I shoot and load four 270 WSM ‘s. Why so many, my son and two hunting grandsons think there is no better deer rifle at home and out west. I also hunt Elk with it and with a 160 gr. Nosler Partition it more than holds it own. All my rifles are Winchester Modle 70’s, a Stainless Steel all weather and the others Limited Editions with gorgeous wood. Scopes are all Ziess Conquest from 2.5X10 up to 6.5X20. I have enough brass to last my great grandson and his a lifetime, all bought cheap before prices went sky high as well as 1000 blems from Nosler I paid $10.00 per 50 for. All my rifles will shoot ragged hole groups when the shooter does his part. I had faster rifles, a .257 Wby, larger rifles, 7mm STW and .300 Winny. None of them shooot any sweeter than the WSM’s, which are light to carry and have plenty of fire power. 130 grain Northfork at 3450 fps, 140 grainers at 3225 fps plus, 160 grainers at 2950 fps. —————- All you naysayers should shoot a .270 WSM then form an opinion or better yet come see how my guys take up to 20 Deer a year with ours. Good Shooting.
Thanks for the info!!! I think I'm really going to like this wsm. I purchase a Browning Medallion and cannot wait to start fine tuning this thing.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have never reloaded for my Tikka 270WSM but have gathered some reloading info from a major powder mfr giving loads that may no longer be available online for theirs and other-brand propellants. This includes about 13 loads for 140-grain bullets and a similar number for maybe all weights of projectiles from 90 to 160 grains.

If you are still having trouble sourcing loads, PM me and I'll see what can be done.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote