THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady verses Federal .300 Win Mag Brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I can buy Hornady and Federal .300 Winchester Magnum brass for about the same price. Do you have a preference for one verses the other, and if so, why?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady is the only factory ammunition I've ever found defects in (over pressure in some lots and refused to fire in others). That said, I've found nothing wrong with the brass itself. But based on the experience with the ammunition I personally would choose Federal over Hornady.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Hornady is made by Privi, I think their brass is very good and may be better than Federal.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hornady is made by Privi

That is interesting. Can you say where you got that information? I like PRIVI, but didn't know this. I know the old Frontier was made by Winchester.

Anyway, I would buy Federal. I have found it to be very consistent. I also know that Hornady MATCH brass has less volume than their regular brass, at least in 308.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frontier was made by Federal not WW Im told or read...I don't think PPU makes HOrnady brass, PPU is the best brass Ive ever used and the cheapest..Ive had some issues with Hornady brass, so the two don't compute or so it seems..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. That's just what the Hornady guys told me. I bet they had several suppliers.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal brass is waaaaaay too SOFT for reloading!
I have a few hundred 300WM sitting in my recycle tub that were ‘once fired’ factory that ALL have loose primer pockets! I do know that they were in fact fired factory ammo with no reloads on them.
ALL are stamped ‘FC-10’ and my understanding is that the ‘10’ denotes 2010 manufacture.
I had primed them, charged them after being neck sized, and as I was taking them outta the loading block, the primers were falling out!

Don’t bother with Federal!

Cheers.
Eeker

Posts: 682 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Federal simply dumps their products which don't meet specs in Australia (you convicts don't deserve the good stuff, anyway Big Grin) .

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Maybe Federal simply dumps their products which don't meet specs in Australia (you convicts don't deserve the good stuff, anyway Big Grin) .

We don't discriminate between good and bad stuff......We knock it all off!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 15 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I most likely go with the federal.

The only Hornaday brass I used in my 460 S@W is cracking on the 2nd and 3 reload.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe, but it doesn’t bother me, no barrel I own has EVER had factory Federal ammo fired in it.
I’ve only ever used either Winchester or Remington ammo running in barrels while waiting for reloading gear to show up.

P.S.
I ain’t no convict, German heritage here, 5th generation Aussie, family came over in 1851.

Posts: 682 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:
quote:

Maybe, but it doesn’t bother me, no barrel I own has EVER had factory Federal ammo fired in it.
I’ve only ever used either Winchester or Remington ammo running in barrels while waiting for reloading gear to show up.

P.S.
I ain’t no convict, German heritage here, 5th generation Aussie, family came over in 1851.

Must be true,Germany never had any cons in the 1850's Big Grin Federal every time.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote