THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Testing Standard And Magnum Primers And their Effects In 300 Win. Mag.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testing Standard And Magnum Primers And their Effects In 300 Win. Mag.
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I thought I would run the same test we did on the 308 Winchester and 3 different primers, on the 300 Winchester Magnum.

But, with all the primers that I have. Both standard and Magnum.

Standard primers that we have are:

RWS 5341
CCI BR2
Winchester WLR
Federal 210M

Magnum primers we have

CCI 250
Remington 9 1/2 Magnum
Winchester WLRM
Federal 215

Our test rifle is the Steyer SSG 08, with a 27 inch barrel, with a Leupold VX6 7-42X scope.

Rifle rest is the TARGET SHOOTING, INC. Model 1000LP.

Bullets are Sierra 168 Match Kings.

All shots are off the bench at 100 yards.

I have included both the extreme spread and standard deviation of each load.

I still have some powders to shoot with the standard primers, and then I will repeat everything again with the Magnum primers.

This conclude my testing with standard primers.

I will shoot the same loads with Magnum primers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you got some hangfires,they can be upsetting. It would be interesting to know what is going on inside the case during those few milliseconds? The ES and Sd appear to be a bit larger but not really hugely so. I was using Re22 when I was having the problem. It also looks like Es and Sd don't necessarily correlate with group size. Keep up the good work. Knowledge is only useful if it is shared.
C.G.B.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Reloaded 22 is being tested next.

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the results of your testing with us! I'm curious about the brass you're using. Is it new brass every time, or the same set reloaded each time, if you're annealing the necks of your brass, etc.?

I've seen quite a drop in velocity variation with annealed necks.

Do you know what the firing pin protrusion is or how sloppy the headspace is? It seems that the hangfires are mostly with one type of primer, but ignition problems could also be related to how the pin hits the primer.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am using 85 cases for this test. They are all fired, resized, trimmed, primer pockets cleaned, and shot again.

No annealing is done.

I do not suspect anything wrong with the rifle or its firing pin.

The test is to determine of using standard primers in a large case cane cause misfires - as we have suspected, and experienced before.

It seems certain powders are more susceptible to this than others.

WE have also seen it happens with all slow burning powders used in the larger cases - I have experienced it in the 300 RUM case with all powders.

When I test the Magnum primers, that should rule out any problems with the rifle or its firing pin.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have updated all results with standard primers.

Very surprising that the H870, which is a very slow burning ball powder, had no hangfires at lol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
Again, some damned tight groups!
Wish I could shoot that well.

For light bullets I use the '06,
in the 300 Win, I've gone to 200gr Game Kings.
But, I only use it to hunt elk with.

Thank you very much for sharing this info with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hopefully next week I will get some results with Magnum primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing how "cold" the RWS primers are.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote