New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEE PERFECT POWDER MEASURE
 Login/Join

<Scott H>
posted
I picked up a Lee measure Friday and have spent most of Saturday evaluating it. WOW! I am quite impressed with its performance. So far, it averaged +- .08 grains on a nominal of 49.6 grains of H4831SC.

I suspect it is still coating the the inner parts with graphite because it is improving with use.

I found it is a little jiggle sensitive and compensate for this by tapping the drum tensioning screw with my index finger. I give it 20 taps at roughly 4 taps per second and it really throws uniform charges. No amount of rapping will produce throws this good with my RCBS or Dillon measures.

I think my Dillon 550B will need a adapter made to mount this little fellow.

<Mats>
posted
Told you so.

-- Mats

<Scott H>
posted
Mats,
Actually your opinion of this measure motivated me to buy it. I have had good luck with Lee products in the past, but the measure looked so cheap that I was prejudiced against it. I guess it proves the old saying about judging a book by its cover.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott H:
I picked up a Lee measure Friday and <snip>WOW! <snip>I think my Dillon 550B will need a adapter made to mount this little fellow.

Scott, when you went through the process of keying in the setting, did you use the volumetric values in the user documentation?

I have used this powder measure for loading exacting loads and also the double-disk & micro disk type as my predominant powder distributor during mass-loading.

I have found that the volumetrics were not accurate for the IMR 4350. Essentially, I had to play Lewis & Clarke to find the correct values (which were entirely inconsistent without any pattern). Did you find that to be the case in your powder?

I agree once the thing was set, it does deliver accurate throws with a very nominal variation of about +/- .02 grains (in the case of IMR 4350, WIN 231 & WIN 296).

What was your experience setting up?

Best regards,
Alex

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Scott
I have had such good luck with my little $27 Lee powder measure I have never gotten around to buying an RCBS.
Now I think after reading these posts I'll just keep on using it and spend money on other stuff.
X-Ring

<vssf>
posted
Scott H

I've got one too. I find that half the fun of using it is getting great results out of something that looks so cheap.

I use the graduations on the dispenser to get into the ball park then adjust using scales.

Great piece of kit.

Regards

Ray

<Scott H>
posted
X-Ring,
Yup, you can buy a lot of varmint bullets with the savings.

Alex,

I used the factor supplied to start. It was .5 grains off. After the measure was throwing uniformly, I took the average of ten throws and calculated a new factor.

I got the best results with H4831SC. R-19 and R-22 didn't do as well. I noticed the Reloader 19 and 22 tended to have more static cling, particularly on the drop side of the measure. I think the coating on H4831SC is less static sensitive. It is probably olive green Imron. I think I will try some cling free or dishsoap to cure this. I doubt there is enough free graphite in two pounds of powder to stop the static cling.

Ray,
If you calculate a new factor it should throw within a tenth on your first try.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott H (edited 06-25-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one and have found the volumetric data that came with it to be anywhere from dead-on to wildly off. I suppose it might have to do with changes in lots of powder but for some powders I'm talking about being off by around .2 in the conversion factor.

When I work up a load I start with their figures and play "Lewis and Clark" from there--by the end of the first 5 rounds I've usually got it settled down and can calculate my own conversion factor to crank it up for the next higher charge. I even write down my figures now!

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Lee "Perfect" (!) powder measures.

It isn't perfect, but it was every bit as repeatable and accurate as the RCBS measure I compared it to (even with coarse stick powders).

Of course, the Lee doesn't have much snob appeal... :-)

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jpb:
...it was every bit as repeatable and accurate as the RCBS measure I compared it to...

John, I compared mine to an RCBS too when I got it. Just like you I found it to be as good or slightly better. But after I ran a whole can of powder through it, it improved dramatically...

I get my best results with stick powders by snapping the lever upwards (it meets the plastic with a 'thud' and slightly upsets the powder before it starts to flow), no tapping in the bottom/emptying position. The shorter VV powders are amazingly accurate, I convinced my buddy of that by tipping out 29 x 40.5 gr and 1 x 40.6 gr of VV N 135... He ordered one the next day.

-- Mats

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have one as well, and it is a good measure with stick and flake powder, but you will despise it if you use it with ball powder. It will spill out the side of the drum, and cause the works to gunk up. Other then that, its a pretty good measure.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott H:

I think my Dillon 550B will need a adapter made to mount this little fellow. Big Grin

Lee has an adapter to put this measure in a press. The adapter sells for about $20 at midway. I think it's called 'universal'.

I have one and it seems to improve the operation as the drag on the handle is no longer noticeable. On a prgressive it's intended to be pulled back by a chain after being pushed by the cartridge case, so the handle isn't used at all.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Scott H>
posted
JerryO,
Thanks for the tip. I looked at it and I think it should work. Hope Lee doesn't hear about this, it may start a new Dillon-Lee advertising war.