Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.350 Legend
 Login/Join

posted
Is anyone loading for the .350 Legend? I have just started, and am not finding much data to work with.

I have data from the Hodgdon website and data that was included with the Lee dies I bought. It appears to be the same information.

Can anyone point me to any other data?

Thanks,
scoty

Posts: 20 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, I worked sight in day at the club Saturday and left at the end of the day not impressed with the .350 Legend. Accuracy was poor to fair and a few of the owners were going back to the places they bought their rifles.

Posts: 143 | Location: mid-michigan | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear that. So far, I have only fired twenty rounds through mine. All starting loads. Accuracy seems ok.

Hodgdon recently added info specific to the Hornady 170 gr. Legend bullet. I loaded rounds last night with incrementally increasing powder charges. I hope to test them this weekend.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What I am now concerned about is the report elsewhere on AR, that the 350 Legend actually has a .355 groove diameter barrel, not .357/8, and also has a tight chamber which won't allow normal 357 type bullets to be loaded.
If that is true, then it is already doomed, at least for hand loaders.
I know that the SAAMI spec is .357, minus .003. Which means nothing anyway. No maker is bound to anything SAAMI says.
I definitely do not want a rifle limited to 9mm bullets.
I need more data before I get one.
Load data? What is wrong with the Lee/Hodgdon data?

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
From what I have read, false. One guy said he had a Manson reamer made to some spec, and 357 bullets would not chamber.
Need more reliable information and less speculation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny how none of the big magazines that covers rifles thought or knew to report this bullet/grove debacle.

They really are whores.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The hodgdon/Lee data is fine. I am just looking for broader information.

The rifle I am shooting has a 9mm barrel, on the recommendation of Douglas barrels. It was chambered using a standard PTG reamer. I have fired Hornady .355 diameter and Swift .357 diameter bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
Bullet diameter is .357 bore is .358 from what I have read (?) true or false?
all the Winchester ammo states .357 dia. bullets.
I would start low and work up and use my chrono. and compare the velocity to factory speed and tread lightly when I reached factory velocities

First this isn't to rub anything in your face. When they drill the hole through the barrel blank then ream it and whatever else they are going to, that is the BORE. They they put the grooves in by whatever means they prefer. That is the GROOVE diameter and is the larger of the two. The parts of the BORE that aren't cut away by the GROOVES become the top of the LANDS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Funny how none of the big magazines that covers rifles thought or knew to report this bullet/grove debacle.

They really are whores.

I don't know what magazines you read, but I've read more then one that stated the diameters correctly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guns and Ammo setting in the grocery store waiting on my wife.

The article is online, and you can google it. Article states .357 inche bullet.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Copied from factory literature, no doubt. Most writers are not all that technically astute. I find.
Just read this from G&A: very disturbing to me:
"Bullets for the .350 Legend also get produced on the same machines as 9mm projectiles. The Legend’s bullet construction is different, but the machines and some of the tooling are the same. "
So, the article says they use .357 bullets which is not true, and the SAAMI spec says .357 minus .003.
All complete nonsense, to me at least.
If I was building one, I would design a reamer that allowed chambering .358 bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD is right on the money, Tonight I compared a .357 max to a .350 Legend case and then grabed a MGM .357 Max barrel to see for my self where we're at with this. What I came to was if you could blow out the forward part of the case to take .357 .358 bullets and at the same time extended the chamber a pinch it might be a decent round? What I didn't mention was all .350 Legend cases I had on hand (20) had some taper to them and I believe that if blown out straight a .358 bullet could be used in a rechambered .357 Max barrel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also read that some states are taking a hard look at the Legend because the bullet dia. doesn't meet the rules? Seem's the Dumb #$% at Winchester weren't all that sharp!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
most of them are saying if the box says 357 then the shooter is good to go.
whether the bullets really are or not??? I dunno.

I do know some guys are having trouble with anything over 356 even chambering though, and federal factory loads are showing some pressure sings when it's all said and done.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Copied from factory literature, no doubt. Most writers are not all that technically astute. I find.
Just read this from G&A: very disturbing to me:
"Bullets for the .350 Legend also get produced on the same machines as 9mm projectiles. The Legend’s bullet construction is different, but the machines and some of the tooling are the same. "
So, the article says they use .357 bullets which is not true, and the SAAMI spec says .357 minus .003.
All complete nonsense, to me at least.
If I was building one, I would design a reamer that allowed chambering .358 bullets.

It kills it for me lots of good 357 358 bullets out there.

Why 355 doesn't make sense.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Follow the money...If you have to buy their bullets to make it work, then they get money coming and going.
If all this is true, this requires some wildcatting to make this a reloading dream.
This should be called a 9mm and not 350. on the flip side, the 9mm just got more interesting.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This was clearly a round made only for factory ammo shooters, in the midwest; not for AR members who want to load all manner of available bullets into it, suitable for deer or not. AFAIK there are no 9mm bullets sold that are suitable for deer so hand loaders are limited to common pistol bullets. It was developed by pea brains; not hand loaders.
I just saw this morning that the local hardware store has Savage 350s for $350, with scope and the Rugers are $450.
Total waste of effort, for me. I don't want a 9mm rifle. You know what I mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smart money say's someone is going to come out with a another round that fixes all the Legend's short comings! Any takers?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Won't happen; it takes too much money to do this kind of thing and the big boys are in it too deep. Again, it is clearly for midwest deer hunters who shoot factory ammo; not for us reloader and experimenters.
I can make a custom reamer tomorrow which will fix the problem, and use .358 barrels, but the commercial train has left the station.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be so sure that someone won't jump in? When you see how much money was spent here in mid-Michigan on the .450 Bushmaster the market does seem to be there. The one thing I'm hearing is a lot of people would not mind a round that doesn't kick as much as the .450 BM and I wouldn't bet against a .350 BM coming soon! Real soon.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand; there is no shortcoming for all these midwest deer hunters who don't reload anyway; they don't know or care what the real bullet diameter is.
I don't see the big guys changing horses now; it's too late in the game. And it would only confuse the mass market, even though guys on AR would know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well for one shortcoming I've see a number of .350 Legends at the club and on average it's not as accurate as the .450 BM with some Legends being down right bad. There's always room for another cartage to fix what ever was wrong with the last greatest round. Randy's Sports Center in Bad Ax Mich will be happy to tell you how well the straight walls will sell in any form of length.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We will see if a major maker is going to develop and release a cartridge that will jam in the chamber of one they just released 6 months ago. It would have to be a radically different case, not one too close to the 350 Legend. I will be the first to get one; of course I could build one tomorrow!
Could happen............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is a tenth longer and set up for .358 bullets? Winchester's dumb shortcomings will make the Legend obsolete in less then 10 years like a whole butte load of other not so well thought out rounds.It doesn't really matter if the customer reloads or not, they still want the option just in case. Like my dad said to his young son "You don't need too like it, You just need to understand it!". The .350BM is a coming!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 350 Legend in the Savage Axis III!

Using Federal 180 grain factory loads I get <1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards shooting from a Lead Sled!

There is enough of the bullet sticking out of the end of the case, and I measured the bullet diameter, it's .355!

I ordered (and received) RCBS reloading dies, Starline 350 Legend brass and Winchester .355 diameter 180 grain bullets from Midway!

Haven't started reloading yet, waiting for more data to become available. It was suggested that a starting load for the .357 Max be used if one wanted to work up a load.

There was a good article written in the October issue of the American Hunter magazine!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had fair results with Hodgdon Lil' Gun topped with a Hornady 170 gr. bullet. I am getting 1 1/4 inch groups with a velocity of 2479 fps.

I have also tried Winchester 296 with the same Hornady bullet, but accuracy was not as good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scoty; is there any published reloading data out there yet for the Legend? I've never reloaded anything from ground ZERO!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
reloading data out there yet for the Legend?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=+reloadi...t+for+the+Legend&s=g

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38437 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

The data I am using is from the Hodgdon website. The Lil' Gun data seems quite hot, in my rifle.

I contacted Accurate Powders and they said data will be coming in a couple of months. Alliant Powders also said data is coming, but did not give a time frame.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, Scoty!

Thanks for the info you posted too, jeffeosso!

Appreciate it.

I have the dies, new brass, and 180 grain,.355 bullets, all ordered from Midway!

Thanks again guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that data will be interesting.
a lot of guys are hitting pressure signs real quick with H-110.

I really wonder why they didn't just re-issue the 351 win with a 358 bullet.
I know the round was tapered like it is so it will work in the AR type rifles, but it sounds like the bolt guns are selling better.
I don't think that was Winchesters intent.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It must function on the AR platform; those are still extremely popular in spite of the fact that bolt actions are made for the straight walled deer cartridges.
Re-issue the 351? It wouldn't sell; it is not new.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the load data on the Hodgdon site, but now I have a question!

The 3 load data listings I looked at say to seat the bullet (180gr) to a COL of 2.110"!

The Federal 180gr "factory loads" that I have measure 2.185" COL!

Just wonder why the difference?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Load data book OALs can be different than factory ammo is the reason. If they fit into the magazine, and you are crimping on the groove, go with that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 350 Legend is a little different than anything I've ever reloaded!

They headspace on the case-mouth, so they require a taper crimp.

I have everything to reload it, but not in a hurry so I will wait and see what's in the books when they get printed!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I load a lot of 450 Bushmaster; I do not crimp at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I load a lot of 450 Bushmaster; I do not crimp at all.

I load a lot of 450 BM too. I am using the Ruger bolt rifle for it and the shoulder to head space the round is nearly non-existant and if the case is crimped any at all it won't headspace going beyond the shoulder, thus not firing. On the other end of matters, being I shoot cast in it too, if the bullet is just a hair too fat the round won't chamber. Then don't forget if the case is a hair too short in lenght it won't fire in my rifle either. Once you get all these caveats sorted out it's not harder then anything else to reload. My Ruger really shoots some impressive tight groups too!!

One other note. I started with 284 cases and formed them into 450 BM. When I finally got some factory brass, with the small rifle primer, I had much trouble with the primers not having enough oophm to set off the Lil Gun powder I was using. Nearly all them were hangfires. I don't like that one iota.