Find
Notify
Tools

416 to 410.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I shoot a double rifle cal 450-400,I do not have a lot of bullets laying around for this gun,but I do have plenty of .416 size 400 gr softs in stock,can I run these bullets through a Lee sizer in .410 & use them? anyone done this?thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have sized 277 bullets down to 264 and they worked fine.

But I used special dies that did it in two stages.

I am sure you can.

You have to use a good lube.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66846 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Bill, I have sized 277 bullets down to 264 and they worked fine.

But I used special dies that did it in two stages.

I am sure you can.

You have to use a good lube.

Saeed,

Were these regular jacketed bullets? you did in two stages because of the amount you were reducing? what were the sizes for the two stages?

DRSS

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We had many 135 Sierra Match Kings in 277 caliber bullets, and non 264.

So I thought I will see if I could reduce their diameter and if this would affect the accuracy.

They worked very well.

I have dies and bushes that vary by 4-6 thousands of an inch, and they cover most calibers.

I am sure your reduction of only 6 thou should be fine.

Go slow when pushing the bullets, and make sure you use a good lube.

If you have the old sticky RCBS case lube, it works great!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66846 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I was given a bag of soft point 410gr .416's and I swaged them down to .411 with a LEE swaging die and had no problems....used engine oil additive as lube...thanks Daryl!

Roger

Posts: 1033 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help gentlemen, I will order a lee die monday & get to work

DRSS

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've taken 416 power point to 410 on a
Lee worked fine

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken .430 to 416 in pass

416 to 410 should be just fine

Posts: 19332 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot in one pass ?

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Seems like a lot in one pass ?

If I was doing it again I would incorporate a in-between size.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was given a bag of soft point 410gr .416's and I swaged them down to .411 with a LEE swaging die and had no problems....used engine oil additive as lube...

Geeze, not at all helpful! WHAT kind of engine oil additive? Graphite? Z-Max? Slick 50? STP? Stop Leak? Throw us a bone!

When I tried sizing .277” bullets to .264” in one die using Imperial Wax, the lead tip extruded ahead of the jacket slightly, showing a slight gap.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Since you asked so nicely...STP

Roger

Posts: 1033 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
I shoot a double rifle cal 450-400,I do not have a lot of bullets laying around for this gun,but I do have plenty of .416 size 400 gr softs in stock,can I run these bullets through a Lee sizer in .410 & use them? anyone done this?thanks.

Yes you can, it is a lengthy process but it works, I've run .416"'s through a Lee .410" sizer for my 400 Whelen which shoots .410-.411" bullets.
You have to really lube the bullets and push them through in small "bites" unless you have some kind of press that uses something other than a hand lever, even with my Rockchucker it takes a few steps.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:
I was given a bag of soft point 410gr .416's and I swaged them down to .411 with a LEE swaging die and had no problems....used engine oil additive as lube...

Geeze, not at all helpful! WHAT kind of engine oil additive? Graphite? Z-Max? Slick 50? STP? Stop Leak? Throw us a bone!

When I tried sizing .277” bullets to .264” in one die using Imperial Wax, the lead tip extruded ahead of the jacket slightly, showing a slight gap.

Swaging jacketed bullets down will most always result in extrusion of lead at the tip of soft nose bullets or at the base of FMJ/solid bullets. The lead core has to bleed somewhere when a bullet is swaged down in diameter and apart from any negative aesthetic aspect, if there is any, accuracy and function of swaged bullets is not normally affected.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So how did they shoot.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I do the .416, 350 Speer to .411, they shoot fine.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bal,
Call Corbin. I have used their BRDs with success in reducing .410 to .408.
You send them some samples and they produce the Bullet Reduction Die.
Best lube is what Corbin recommends. Their pure lanolin.
Call me if I can help.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one for the books, I have a set of almost new 450-416 custom dies..I built a 450-400 when bullets were unavailable using a Browning double, and the help of Rick Stickly, nice double and sold it later to a gentleman, who said he didnt need the dies?? Im still curios over that..

Anybody want them, I'll sell them for $50. they have to be collectable! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
The die on the far right sizes 416 bullets down to 411 for my 400 H&H. Dies on the left are a neck size bushing style and a bullet seater, I made them a long time ago before any makers were tooled up to make 400 H&H dies.

I made the bullet size die from a blank reloading die. Easy job on the lathe, as I have a big collection of chucking reamers from my days as a Machinist.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote