one of us
posted
Interesting subject,

Anyone tried this sort of thing?

https://castbulletassoc.org/bl...with-bullseye-powder

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the "tipping point" with Bullseye in a .30-06 between low velocity/low pressure charges and gun-wrecking charges is a very narrow one. A powder that bulks a little more (and has a somewhat slower burning rate) is probably a better choice.

I've had excellent results with Blue Dot for reduced loads. Others, like Trail Boss or some of the obsolete powders, may be as good or better.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the tipping point would be something more like 18 grains of bulls-eye.
more than double the load discussed here.

you also have other powder options.
unique works well with jacketed bullets, one of my first Idaho deer was taken with Unique and a 200gr. Speer in my 8 mauser.

2400 is also very good for reduced loads.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made some very quite loads in 308 and 06 using cast bullets and red dot.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
think the tipping point would be something more like 18 grains of bulls-eye.more than double the load discussed here.

I had high pressure signs with 16grs of red dot I be afraid of 18grs of bullseye.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mid-'70s, read CE Harris' stuff on reduced "guard" loads. Was sufficiently intrigued to load some. Then went and killed a handful of Maine whitetails with them. Minimal or no expansion, .308" in/.308" out, but it worked. Evidently a .308" hole in the heart isn't conducive to longevity. Who knew?

"The Load" (you can still find this with search engine) for cast or jacketed bullet was 13 gr Red Dot in a .30 cal or larger using a case of .30-40 Krag size or larger.

I substituted Unique for RD.....cuz happened to have Unique and not RD. Bullet was the 170 gr Speer flat nose. Someday I might load some again, then chrono. Am pretty certain they were not exceeding 1200 fps from Dad's '03-A3. Probably close to subsonic.

Also loaded 6-7 gr Unique behind 50 gr heads in .223. At one time Blue Dot became popular for reduced loads.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago-like 10 or more- there was a fellow who called himself "Seafire" who did extensive work with Blue Dot in everything from 223 up to 338's
I used a number of his "recipes" in 223, 243 and 30-06 quite effectively
perhaps a google search for Seafire and Blue Dot would yield some helpful information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss with 245 grain lead bullets for a quiet 308 load.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Practically all pistol and shotgun powders work for reduced loads.

We have used most of them.

I prefer UNIQUE, because it is bulkier.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, sorry lost this thread for a while

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have a small pile of 170 HP bullets that were loaded in factory 30-30 ammo at one time. I put some 4759 behind them in a 30-06 for my grand daughter. Her father put a couple of does in the freezer with them. Quiet, soft shooting and very accurate.
As Saeed said, almost any pistol, shotgun powder can be used. Some are more bulky than others thus a bit easier to check for or avoid double charges in a case. I like the old 4759 for that purpose.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote