Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 Cases Some rimmed some semi-rimmed Why
 Login/Join

posted
I just de-capped some 30-30 cases Some are Remington-Peters(RP), some are Winchester Super X. A few of the RP cases are rimmed while the majority of them and the Super X are semi-rimmed.

It's not an issue that I'll lose sleep over but I am curious as to why this might be? I believe the original cartridge designed was rimmed and used mainly in lever action rifles. Is the semi-rimmed grooved case for use in bolt actions as well as lever actions. Is this something that occurred after a certain date or is it just a manufacturing change, etc.

Posts: 4 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 20 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
they are different .
Follow this link for a good explination
http://www.ammo-one.com/30Remington.html

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well trade you rimmed cases for you rimless ones.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
30-30s are all rimmed. Always have been.All 30 Remingtons are rimless. Nothing semi rimmed of the two. Post a picture.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top picture on the page linked in post #2 clearly states 30 - 30 REM, and it's definitely rimless.

Is it possible Remington/USC started off naming their new cartridge and then named it something else subsequent? Or that USC if a different company than Remington screwed up and sold it anyway?

Posts: 25 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 08 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-30 REM (rimless bottleneck) was first name, later the name was changed to 30 REM
30 WCF (rimmed, bottleneck) was first name, later the name was changed to 30-30 WIN

At least nobody got confused by the 30-30 Wesson (rimmed, straight case), which predates the other 2 30-30's

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of differences in all 3 cartridges mentioned in this post.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True. Remington called their rimless cartridge a 30-30 Remington at first to try and take sales from Winchester. But it is not a 30-30 Win, which started out life as 30 WCF. Later changed to 30-30. Cartridge nomenclature is fun.
Nothing semi rimmed between the two though.

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the rimless version designed to work in a semi auto?
The rim would cause feeding issues.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And pumps; the Rem 8 and 14. Later to become the 81and 141; both great rifles but the 35 Rem made them about 100 times better but that is not germane here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 Rimless as it was called early on is a 30 Remington, there is no such animal as a simi rimmed 30 or 30-30 case.

The 25 Rem, 30 Rem, 32 Rem and the 35 Remington were designed around Remingtons Pump mod. 8, and later the 81, a supposed improvement over the mod. 8..Later on the Rem autos came on board 14, and 141 as best I recall and these two were autos. Prior to all this Rem. produced a smaller version of the mod. 8 in 38-40, 44-40, 32-20, 25-20 and this was the Rem. mod 25,,Its been a long time and Im just going by memory..I had a Rem carbine in 32-20 as a youngster, it was my go to deer rifle, and it worked well at close range..Wish I still had that beautiful little gun, the milled parts etc were just classic and showed some nice workmanship and a shell casing head was inletted in the left side of the frame on pumps and showed you the caliber.

For what its worth Elenor OConnor (Jacks wife) had a nifty little Rem mod 8 in 25 Rem (25-35 win. without a rim) used the same load data..It had a neat little Lyman Alaskan scope on it, the whole outfit just came together as petite and super nice..I know she shot a number of deer with it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm not making myself clear. Both cases are rimmed, both have 30-30 WIN on the head stamps. One has a shallow groove just above the rim and the other does not. One is a Remington-Peters and has the groove and the other is stamped F C (Federal?) and doesn't have the groove. (Correction to my OP) The groove looks too shallow to be an extractor groove. I tried to get a picture but to be able to get it to show up requires the camera to be so close that it is not in focus.

I called it semi-rimmed because that's' the definition in the NRA loading manual of a rimmed case with a groove above the rim.

Posts: 4 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 20 January 2017Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How do you post a picture? I think I have a photo that shows what I am talking about.

posted Hide Post
I guess I don't have permission to post a picture. How does one get permission?

posted Hide Post
I know what you are talking about.
What you are seeing is 2 different manufacturing processes for rimmed cases.

The 30-30 Win has always been a rimmed round.
That relief cut is a little cheaper to do than finishing the rim thickness with out touching the case body.

Both WW and Rem brass in the .303 Brit and .25-20 and .22 Hornet have that little relief groove. Starline 45-70, 40-65, 38-55 and 50-70 cases all have that groove and are all rimmed rounds.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry/MT:
I'm not making myself clear. Both cases are rimmed, both have 30-30 WIN on the head stamps. One has a shallow groove just above the rim and the other does not. One is a Remington-Peters and has the groove and the other is stamped F C

(Federal?) and doesn't have the groove. (Correction to my OP) The groove looks too shallow to be an extractor groove. I tried to get a picture but to be able to get it to show up requires the camera to be so close that it is not in focus.

I called it semi-rimmed because that's' the definition in the NRA loading manual of a rimmed case with a groove above the rim.