New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will supplies ever return?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geeeewhiz, ya recon were being manipulated and like sheep to slaughter! Im thinking what a great way to jack prices up and makes us like it..

NEVER TRUST BIG GOVERNMENT!! Truer words were never spoken! thanks Winston. thumbdown

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go that far Ray, to say ammo companies manipulated us.

I'm saying the current political climate, with a party controlling the White House, House of Reps, and Senate (via the VP's tie breaking vote outside of the filibuster), and said party no longer hiding their desires to greatly restrict law abiding citizens from owning certain types of weapons, leads to panic buying and hoarding.

Any ammo or components that work in AR type weapons are being hoarded due to the threat of no longer being able to own them without restrictions. So people are getting what they can while they can. 223/556 can be found currently, but at a premium. Try to find 30 cal bullets right now. Very short supply due to the ability to load them into 300 Blackout, another AR platform. You can't hardly find 300 Blackout loaded ammo anywhere (if you do, it's at a premium) but you can find 308, 30/06, 300 Mags without too much difficulty. But .308 bullets? Not so much and I strongly believe it's due to the 300 Blackout AR platform.

Another AR platform that's difficult to find ammo for currently is 458 Socom. Components as well. You can find 500 and 450 gr bullets in .458 but the 300 or 350 grain flavors typically shot in the AR platform are difficult to find.

Same with 9mm.

It seems anything typically loaded in a semi auto platform are most affected by the current shortages ... primers not withstanding as those are just damned hard to find anywhere right now at a reasonable price. Thanks to the Obama years, I'm set for life on primers!! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Hope your right, I probably worked too manny conspiracy cases in my life time to really trust any conglomerate or government..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like there really isn’t a shortage of ammunition and reloading components, but simply panic buying leading to these items being hard to acquire. These same people are panic buying gas.

I can smell the gasoline fumes from those leaking containers in the trunk of their vehicles from here. I hope they’re not smokers too.

Oh well.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well slim, they give us good prices on gas in the winter, they hike them up in the summer plus adding a dime, and we never realize it! That in my evil mind is a conspiracy, some call it good business!!some manipulation..Guess it depends on which side of the fence your sitting.. popcorn
faint stir

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
Just like there really isn’t a shortage of ammunition and reloading components, but simply panic buying leading to these items being hard to acquire. These same people are panic buying gas.

I can smell the gasoline fumes from those leaking containers in the trunk of their vehicles from here. I hope they’re not smokers too.

Oh well.

i hope they are!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammo and reloading components are beginning to flow in much more liberal amounts.
Primers, oh my gosh, primers, if you can find 'em. they're going to now cost about double+!

I just walked out of the store with an 8lbs keg of H335, a box of match .224 75 gr bullets and some MTM ammo boxes but refused to pay $10 per 100 for small rifle primers! I'm glad I have 15K of them which will last me until one of you guys buy my stuff at the estate sale! haha JK, my sons-in-law reload so they'll get it all for free.

It's coming.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now are ammo cheaper in Europe than in US has it ever happened before (and on the shelfs)?.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need to adjust to the new world

I see 375 h&h flanged cheaper than ever before

I seen 300 Norma mag cheaper than ever before

Everything else is getting expensive.

Eventually it will normalize - May take 2-3 years.

Can buy 9mm for $.60 a round - Swiss made.

Can buy as much 223 at bass pro as I wanted - $.60 a round. This may not remain. I bought 200 rounds could have bought 1500.

6.5 creedmoor is tough.

Seeing a lot of foreign made ammo in 5.56 - Oman, Swiss, ect.

What is surprising is big box guys are raising prices. 45 acp steel for over $.50 round.

Hopefully prices get raised enough that people stop buying, shelves stay stocked, people are not panicked and eventually supply chain rebuilds.

I wish I had more 9mm ammo.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have more then a lifetime's supply

I'm not losing any sleep

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering current prices plus inflation in the next 4years at least, ammo/components will not be getting any cheaper.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

I'm not losing any sleep

A good plan if you don't buy any rifles chambered in new-to-you cartridges.

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the same boat as Ted Thorn, I have more than enough bullets, powder, primers and brass to last my great grandson a lifetime. I also managed to buy very cheap compared to these crazy prices. My last project chambering is a 6.5 PRC and I was lucky enough to buy up stuff for it just prior to all these prices we are seeing now. With several hunters and shooters in the family I was determined that they would have no worries in their lifetimes. Of course my wife says what on earth did you need so much stuff when I was accumulating all of it but now she understands. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nordic2
posted 24 May 2021 00:54
Right now are ammo cheaper in Europe than in US has it ever happened before (and on the shelfs)?.

Same here in New Zealand. Not everything but some prices I have seen for powders and primers in the USA are quite a bit more than here currently. Components are short here too due to CV disruption and we are back to spotty supplies but it doesn't seem to have driven massive panic buying as happened in the USA. Prices have increased on the irregular new, arriving shipments but probably only in line with exchange rates as much as anything else.
I recently managed to secure more AR2213sc ( H4831 ) from a new shipment and my regular supplier gave me a very fair deal on pricing. That was the only essential powder I was short of as, like others, I have accumulated during times of plenty to weather this current storm.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Can buy 9mm for $.60 a round - Swiss made"

3,5 rounds 9mm Fiocchi/ US$ here.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
quote:

I'm not losing any sleep

A good plan if you don't buy any rifles chambered in new-to-you cartridges.

I have more then I care to mention.
I'm actually in the process of thinning the heard.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
If you guys want to get into this stuff (I don't, not here anyway), Please take it to the Political Forum, where you can say just about anything, reality-based or not.

This part of the site is for discussing RELOADING.

+1

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not losing any sleep

I did have, until the no-lead thing started.
I have a pile of 6mm 85-grain Partitions.
I want 6mm 80-grain TTSX and nobody has them.
Nutz...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

I'm not losing any sleep

I did have, until the no-lead thing started.
I have a pile of 6mm 85-grain Partitions.
I want 6mm 80-grain TTSX and nobody has them.
Nutz...

Wish you were talking 165 .308...I would be talking trade.

Tom,
Look at some Cutting Edge Bullets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
If you guys want to get into this stuff (I don't, not here anyway), Please take it to the Political Forum, where you can say just about anything, reality-based or not.

This part of the site is for discussing RELOADING.

+1

It's a discussion about the availability of reloading supplies. If you have a problem with the various aspects of the discussion, either don't follow it, or go somewhere else. Really quite simple.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well we all know the biggest aspect of the whole thing is because of who is currently residing in the white house.

it isn't just because of 'oh no he is a democrat' either.
it's full on look at the news some time, and see what's happening.
people are trying to take care of themselves and their family's.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a season on Unicorns? Does fairly dust come from gay people? are they protected by the US gov..its confusing..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Dems won't quit until they start a civil war, then they will piss down their legs and beg gun lovers to save their bacon,typical reaction of the pussy bunch..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The ammo/reloading industry is horrific at planning for cyclical supply/demand variations.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
NO company will invest the 10's of millions of dollars to start a new plant to make anything.....

It's a double wammy

IF politically things don't change for the better there is even a worse chance company's will invest in stepping up production because there may be an end to gun ownership

IF thing do get better politically then there is no reason to hoard.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still wonder what happened to all the lake city equipment after Obama closed all but the one plant down.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You remember when slick willie wanted to destroy all that mil-surp 308 brass but the NRA (God Bless Them) jumped up + informed the 'powers that be' that they could not do that with items that were purchased with taxpayer dollars + were required to sell the excess back to said taxpayers.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JIT

Just in Time inventory has a lot to do with it. If there's no one in the office taking orders for a year and a half. The plants make their annual contract orders.

Inclusion breeds slavery, but diversity breeds Freedom

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having dealt with bullet companies before and for a long time what you have to understand is they have scheduled production runs of a given bullet and sometimes they only make one run a year. Sometimes they make two a year of something that is in higher demand. But once they make the run and hit the production quota they shut down the line, change tooling and start production on another caliber/weight etc.

I used to order Sierra bullets at wholesale prices for our highpower club and twice a year they'd ship a pallot to us....all kinds depending on who ordered what but IIRC the minimum order was like $15,000 Sometimes someone wanted something a little off the wall in a not so popular caliber or weight and they would often have to wait 10 or 11 months because they hadn't run that particular bullet for the year. Its just the way they all operate.