THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is something way off, on this Barnes load data...***INTERESTING UPDATE***

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is something way off, on this Barnes load data...***INTERESTING UPDATE***
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I have about 6lbs of AA2520, and was trying to find something to use it for. I have a 338-06 A square and had some 185 TTSXs.

I happen to stumble across this load data on the Barnes website.

185 grain TTSX AA2520 58.0-63.0 vel 2829-3015 fps

I thought interesting and seems pretty warm. Let me check Barnes #4 Manual. No load data.

OK - let's check number #3 Manual for the X bullet. The load is 50.5-54.5 max velocity of 2807. Now granted the X and TTSX are different bullets but prior to data being available for the TSX/TTSX Barnes would quote you might be able to go 1 or 2 grains more than the X bullet data because of the pressure grooves. This is 8.5 grains more and 200+ fps more.

I looked at other similar cartridges with similar light for caliber projectiles with similar burn rate powders and could find nothing that showed beyond a 1.5 grain increase.

I also checked AA's data and they show a max load of 51.0 for a 200 grain bullet.

Barnes is closed today and Monday and I plan on calling them.

Setting aside that published data is a guide and yes we all know to start low and work up but this data looks way wrong.

Can anybody run the 63.0 grain charge thru quick load or another program?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I don't have a program but call Barnes. They are very receptive and offer help.

Posts: 747 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
185 grain TTSX AA2520 58.0-63.0 vel 2829-3015 fps

something off
I have not loaded any 185's..
My notes and loads are much lower but all I shot was 200 or 225gr bullets.
note in big red print say stay under 60K

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be the two data were developed in different rifles?

I have seen 22-250 Remington rifles that differ in accepting maximum charges that varied by 7 grains of the same powder!!

I have seen identical factory rifles give a velocity variation of 150 fps with the same factory ammo.!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66835 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
QL calls the 58gr as 70000psi

63 is 95658 Eeker Plus 112% fill rate

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I guess that is a real possibility but what scares me as I can find no other data anywhere that even comes close to 58-63.0 grains for this powder in this cartridge as well as I have never seen an 8 grain differnce between an X bullet and a TTSX.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady Lists 61.2 gr. 2520 for their 185 GMX as a max load.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
TJAY,

Very interesting. What is the minimum? Some manuals list pressure or fill rate %.

Does the hornady info show either?

Is it on their website or manual?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady list by 100fps increases.

Start 48.5 2500 fps
51 2600 fps
53.6 2700 fps
56.1 2800 fps
58.7 2900 fps
61.2 3000 fps

These were shot through 98 mauser custom 23.5" barrel 1/9 twist. COAL listed as 3.320"

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
TJay,

What number manual is that?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9th

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I called Barnes. There were pretty unreceptive.

"Oh we double and triple check the data"

They seemed to become more receptive when I pointed out that:

1) no other powder/bullet combination had a 15.5% increase in max load between the X and TTSX. That most others were in the 3% range. So why would a powder with a similar burn rate have a 5x increase over other similar powders.

2) I identified a similar issue (about 10 years ago) with manual #4 and the 308 winchester with 180 TSXs that showed a max load of 47.5 grains for AA2520 and now the website shows a max load of 45.8 grains as compressed.

The tone of the conversation was probably the most disappointing as I got the impression they weren't really taking the information seriously.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks TJAY!

Mike

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Guess the old start LOW and work up. When I look at the AA burn rate they list 2520 along the line with Varget and IMR 4895. Both top out in the 58gr range for the TTSX and around 63,000psi.

Good Luck

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
***Update***

I guess they did take me seriously. I just went and looked at the website and there is no longer a load listed for AA2520 with 185 TTSX for the 338-06.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would work up a load and try to get there, and see what "my rifle" will take, the rest is guess and my gosh but what you are worrying about is pretty common..

I shoot my 7x57s all have been long throated, long magazined, the same as the Brno mod. 21 and 22a at 8 grs over book max with H414 and have never had a problem at all..

DO NOT DO THIS WITH A STD CHAMBER OR MAGAZINE, AND I WORKED UP TO THIS IN MY GUNS ONLY UNDER RATHER CONTROLLED CIRCUMSTANCES. Its always worked for me in many caliber, but Im not peronoid and been at the bench many years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As a cautious reloader, I compare loads in any manual with the same-powder loads in the dope from other makers, then average the lower ones.

I have seen loads from two separate makers' manuals that seem a bit high. One maker lifted certain loads in the second edition I got, then dropped them back in a later one.

Posts: 4924 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I can get paranoid when I start comparing loads from all the many manuals I have on hand..

I prefer to start at the lowest load average and go up from there..I go all the way with the rifle Im working with, I push the string on them then back off a grain or two and call it good..If one does not know the limits of a particular rifle then how on earth can he work up a real life safe max load..Most just arrive at something that shoots a couple of hundred FPS less than the rifles capabilities, and that's certainly safe. Its always been a subject of scare tactics that is taboo to discuss.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote