New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 Ackley
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of you are shooting the 6.5 Ackley? I'm curious as to what your results have been. I just had a 30-06 Ackley done and I have a .375 Ackley as well. I've had a 6.5 ackley on the brain for a while.
If I hear the word Creedmore one more time I'm going to puke Big Grin What powders are you guys getting the best results with? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used a 280 PDK. Think 6.5 Gibbs. MRP Rl22 and 7828. When I had it no need for a 264.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one that Hill Country Rifles did for me about 12-15 years ago. It is built on a Win 70 Stainless action with a Douglas #3 air gauged barrel in 1:9 twist 24" long, that was all Teflon coated. It shoots great.

It is a little sensitive about brass, though. Actually I should just say that not all brass is created equal. Mine particularly likes Remington 270 brass necked down and trimmed. The Winchester brass tends to vertically split necks after the second firing, even if I anneal. My next brass venture is 25-06 brass necked up. I won't have to trim.

I have received the best results from 4350 powder, either IMR or Accurate Arms. It did not do as well with Hodgdon. The AA4350 is about a grain slower than the IMR. I tried slower powder, but the accuracy was not the same. Don't get me wrong, it was not bad, but not the same as with 4350.

I do not shoot heavy bullets in it. I have a 6.5x55 for that. This rifle likes the 120 grain bullets, either Sierra Pro Hunters or Nosler B-Tips. Either routinely shoot at about 1/2" at 100 yards after fireforming. The best group I ever got from any rifle was from this one. It was a three shot group when the rifle was new that measured .128". It will never happen again, but it proved to me that the rifle could shoot. Let's face it, I was lucky. That load is over regular book max for the standard 6.5-06 at 53 grains of IMR4350 with the Remington brass. It is my standard load for the rifle.

I get .5-.75 with the 140 grain match bullets, but don't need them. The 120 B-Tips have taken my 2 largest deer. One 12 point at 10 yards and one 13 point that field dressed at 245# at 420 yards. Both took a couple steps and fell over.

While I clearly love the rifle, I would not do the AI again. It was fun to play with, but next time, I will just do the plain 6.5-06.

Sorry for the long-winded comments.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote