New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Remington (not AR)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a set of serviceable used dies.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would use 30-30 dies; yes the shoulder angle is different; just make the headspace right. Not sure how long the brass will last with a shallower shoulder. Assuming you just want to shoot an old rifle a few times and not a high volume thing.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's probably what I'll wind up doing. I think I can just neck size the Rem brass in the 30-30 FL die. I just acquired a very nice Model 30 Express and am looking forward to see how it does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-30 are useable for light loads. dpcd already point out the headspace and shoulder angle being different, but the wall/shoulder junction is also different on the two cartridges and aggravated more so that they are not is the same place on the two cartridges. The neck is longer on the 30 Remington inaddition the base of the neck and mouth are slightly different. Being the necks are different lengths with the 30 Rem being longer you're going to have to back up out your 30-30 die to keep from crimping early and this will affect the headspacing of the shoulder.

Serviceable yes, but not for long term factor velocity loads. Best to have the correct dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.