New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon 550C cowboy setup
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m going to setup an upgraded 450 to 550c for 38 cowboy reloading.
Dillon says I have every upgrade available.
I would like a powder checker I think. But I only have 4 spots. So do I use a powder checker or a Lee case crimper for my “4th spot”

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you want to check your powder then crimp in the bullet seater. Plenty good for CAS ammo.
I never check powder level though and only have had one double charge, it was in a 38-40; I was shooting a stage, pop, pop, pop, BANG. pop. Just once in thousands of rounds.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can see in the case with your eyes.
put the seater in 3 and the crimp die in 4.
not an fcd a crimp die.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
you can see in the case with your eyes.
put the seater in 3 and the crimp die in 4.
not an fcd a crimp die.

this. i use my 550 for 6 calibers and this is how i do it too.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is a fcd?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
with my superior sluth abilitys i'm sluthing that the cd stands for crimp die. still working on the f though.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If they mean Factory Crimp Die, referring to the Lee one, then it is totally unnecessary on revolver ammo used in CAS. Standard crimping, or even no crimping, works just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if hes gonna be doing reloads (recharging the cylinder on his revolver with fresh ammo) wouldn't a crimp be desirable to aid in loaded round insertion?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a light crimp is useful but not really necessary if the case mouth is flat against the side of the bullet.
it's similar to a 45 acp which is taper crimped.

I actually taper crimp some of my 45 colt rounds just to not stress the case mouth so the brass lasts longer.

the FCD is an oversized carbide ring someone screwed up when making a size die.
it will mush down a cast bullet [which is what C-Boy action uses] and can cause leading and other issues.
it does insure you didn't screw up somewhere else and makes the ammo small enough to work.

in rifles it is a split ring that closes around the case mouth and squishes the case into the side of the bullet.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote