THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Fireforming 22-250 AI (40degree) with bullets. How to?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireforming 22-250 AI (40degree) with bullets. How to?
 Login/Join

<mnmark>
posted
Hello all,
I'm new to this Ackley fireforming procedure and would like any information regarding how to fireform with bullets, do not want to use Cream of Wheat. Some specific questions I have are:

1) I'd assume you full-length size the cases using the standard 22-250 die, or do you use the Ackley F.L. sizing die?

2) Do you trim the cases before fireforming or afterwards? (I'd assume after, seeing the cases do appear to shorten.)

3) I've read that you use a starting load (from standard 22-250 data) of faster burning powder such as IMR 4895 (around 30.0 grains) according to Nosler #4 manual and set the bullets well into the lands?

4) Also heard that some people use a light coat of oil on the cases when fireforming, is this recomended?

Rifle is a Rem. 700

Any other info. you can provide would be great. Thanks in advance.

-mnmark

[This message has been edited by mnmark (edited 06-25-2001).]

<Don G>
posted
Mark,

I think you've got it right. Just remember that loading with the bullet jammed into the lands raises the pressure significantly.

30 grains of IMR4895 is about right for a 50-55 grain bullet.

Trim after firing, size prior to loading only if the case mouths are bent or you have a very small chamber. (Won't hurt to size, just extra work on the brass.)

Don't chamber a round unless you're ready to fire. The bullet can stick in the lands if you try to extract a loaded round.

Don

<mnmark>
posted
thanks for the quick reply Don.

Also note that I added a 4th question to my post.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mark
This is what I do for my 22-250 AI.

Buy a few boxes of factory rounds, chamber and pull the trigger. I use Remmington rounds as I found I was getting split necks from Winchester brass (no problems with Remmington) Check the length then I then only neck size.
Bakes

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Mark,

If you jam the bullet hard into the lands (so long that it seats deeper when chambered) there is no need to oil the cases. You don't want the oil (or anything else) to build up in the chamber.

If you size them, you could leave just the slightest film of sizing lube on them, but it's not really needed. The ejector on the 700 tries to push the case forward in the chamber, but the long-seated bullet should
overcome that easily.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
When fireforming for my Ackley's (257,7x57)I'll use a load for the std cartridge. If 45gr of IMR4350 is max for the 257 I'll load 42 and fire form the cases that way. When looking for a load using various powders this will give you a place to start. H4895 works well in my 22-250. 35.5gr H4895 rem primer. This is a std 22-250.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Charlie S>
posted
mnmark
When I chamber for 22-250 A.I.,( or any A.I. caliber) I like to end up with a chamber that just allows the bolt to close with a slight crush or feel on a factory ctg.or new brass, You will find that some brands of brass will chamber tighter than others, IMHE federal seems the tightest with the 22-250.
If this is the case with your rifle,Then just shoot factory ammo, or use new brass,partialy neck sized only.
Case will usually be .010-.015 short after first firing,Trim them to the longest length that gives a square case mouth all round and enjoy for the next 6-10 loadings without triming,,that's the beauty of the improved round! (Neck size only)
If your rifle does not chamber tight, as described above,you will then have to seat bullet slightly into the lands, or use once fired brass from a standard chamber whose headspace is long enough to allow you to full length size just down to the sweet spot where you get the "crush" fit.
In short your trying to achieve tight zero tolerance fit of the case between the bolt face and shoulder of the chamber.
FWIW
Good luck
Charlie S.