Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action. 450 bushmaster loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I have been loading for this cartridge for a year or so following the book.
I think the loads are capable of better velocities in a bolt action (book uses an ar platform) and was leaning towards the 300 grain bullets.
Has anyone ventured in this direction to see what you can get that bullet for velocity?
I've combed the net but haven't found anything concrete on the subject.
The Hornady book lists a couple @1900 fps at about 36800 lbs of pressure.
Any one here tried to get 2100 fps with it?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have built 4 of these on Mausers this year; two on 91s and two on 98s.
I just use regular loads though.
Contact Theback40, for heavy loads. He loads then so he can shoot through two bears; he has so many eating his corn that they are killed in pairs at least. Pests, they are.

Posts: 17093 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
dpcd
Is that the handle of a fellow poster or a web site?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fellow poster here.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha, dpcd exaggerates.... a little anyway!
I have been using 300 grn spitzers from Hawk bullets. They advertise them for the 460 S&W.
I have a 16" barreled Ruger American. I have only found Lil'gun to give me the velocities I hoped for without showing pressure signs.
34.5 grains with a taper crimp applied to match the factory load. 2100 fps. I finally recovered a bullet. It was from a medium size deer, field dressed at 155#. The shot was quartering to me at 60 yds, it saw me when I saw him, and I got the shot off. It broke the leg, went through the heart, angled back, and broke two ribs on the off side about 2/3 the way back. Found the bullet under the skin. core and jacket were together, but loose. Expanded to .90 caliber and weighs 260 grns.
All other deer and bear shots have been pass throughs.
I have sized some speer 350 grn .458 bullets down to .452, I'll give them a go next.
That load would be way over loaded for an AR platform, and over all length to long to fit the magazine, but in my Ruger, it shows no signs what so ever.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks back40
That's the sort of actual data I was looking for.
I have the exact same rifle but plan on using the speer 300 grain Deep curl that was designed for the. 454 I have lil gun as well as a few others and will use your data for guidance.
Much appreciated

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember I used a spitzer seated to an OAL of just under 2.4"
With a flatpoint, you will be seating deeper and in effect, reducing powder space. Take that in account when working up your load.
I'm sure you know all this, but need to say it for others sake.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Well 2100 fps was achieved with my Ruger American with a 300 grain Deep Curl without much trouble.
I stopped at 36.0 grains because that was my objective to have a short handy thumper.
For those of you who know what a 300 grain bullet at 2100 fps you can relate to it being right in there with the .444 Marlin, 405 Winchester and lever action. 45/70 territory.
This was based off recommendations from a member here who already did what I was trying to achieve.
Guys this cartridge is impressive in a bolt action short barreled handy little rifle.
DO NOT USE THIS DATA IN THE AR PLATFORM.
Thanks back forty!
This load is wonderfully accurate also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet!
I think I told you...
Usually after I wring out a new rifle/cartridge and shoot a few things I move on to another. For some reason, I keep going back to the ugly little bugger. I think it's just the fact you can get so much power from such a little case.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is a 450 on a 98 Mauser I built two weeks ago; I don't shoot them; just build them.
I do hope that this action is strong enough; most, apparently, from what I hear, aren't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool! Whats the barrel length on that Tom?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
18 with the brake.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Tom you should take the time to try it out.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Now its time for me to turn my attention to my .45 auto rim. I have a 625 JM I have been using.
I'm setting at 950 fps with a 230 at the moment and want to see if 1050-1100 fps is achievable without any undue pressures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 grns of W 231 and a 230 grn cast does 1100 fps out of a M3 grease gun.
I don't know how I would feel about such a load in a revolver??? Loaded the brass multiple times with that load in the greaser with no problems.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
How long is the barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
8 inch.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Back 40
That is basically +p+ velocity and very doable with the extra length of the barrel.
The auto rim brass I have is Star-line so its great stuff.
At 950fps the still fall out of the cylinder after firing with a 4" barrel.
But I feel 1100 fps is definitely the upper limit for that case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What powder are you using? 950 is pretty sporty, and if cases are dropping out, hard to complain.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Yeah 950 is nothing to sneeze at.
I have been using Power pistol.
Great versatile pistol powder.