New
Find
Notify
Tools

building 338 brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im thinking I could run 7mm mag brass thru a 338 die and make 338 Win mag brass, correct? perhaps 264 also with two steps expanding neck.Other options, can't find any 338 brass..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes you can. And depending on your chamber neck OD, and whether or not you want to neck ream or turn, you can also make it from any belted brass like 300 Win or any H&H or.
However, someone out there has some 338s.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be made from 375 HH brass, neck turning not required. But, 375 brass is rather expensive and it ain't growing on trees these days

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my .338 for several years now and have yet to shoot any ammo that was made out of anything but 7mm Mag. I like to anneal the necks first and size up with an intermediate die first like .300WM. Just makes things easier!
You can also neck it up to .358 first then down to .338 for better headspacing on the shoulder.
I've made .375 H&H Ack.IMP. out of .300H&H with no problems.

Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like you've looked before??

How much do you need?

I have a small amount of new RP I'd loan, replace when you can.

Or I have a small amount of 1x range pickups.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I have an unopened bag of 40 new .338 Winchester Mag brass if your interested.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 443 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you are adventurous, you can make any case from any that has the same bolt face.

One of the very worst case forming one can do is making 300 Phoenix out of 338 Lapua brass.

But, if one has a rifle, and no brass available, that is the only way to go.

I mak2 244 H&H brass from 300 Weatherby.

The important part is the case head.

From there you can make anything, depending on how much work you want to get into.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66900 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Craig, I have lots of 375 H+H brass + have for years so there has been no need to seek availability. But not surprised actually as some much else is expensive + in short supply.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I never considered it work, doing cartridge conversions I find to be very entertaining + a very function-based "hobby". tu2

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Im thinking I could run 7mm mag brass thru a 338 die and make 338 Win mag brass, correct? perhaps 264 also with two steps expanding neck.Other options, can't find any 338 brass..

Necking brass "up" works to some extent. However, expanding a .284" ID neck to .338" neck may result in longitudinal splits in the neck since the brass of the neck walls will have to thin considerably. Necking "down" typically works better since the brass thickens, but easily be reamed or turned if necessary to get it back to the proper thickness. But there's no way to "thicken" neck walls when they become too thin from attempting to expand them too far.

Not saying that going from 7mm Rem Mag to .338 won't work -- after all, plenty of .35 Whelan has been made from .30-06 -- but look out for neck splits. You'll also want a tapered expander button instead of the conventional ball-shaped one. As Ray speculates, using a intermediate step might help.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Which is why I make long tapered expander plugs that drop into the Lee expander dies, for such things as this, and 400 Whelen, in two stages. Some brass makes and lots will go without annealing and some won't.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Saeed, I never considered it work, doing cartridge conversions I find to be very entertaining + a very function-based "hobby". tu2

You should have heard my friend Dwight Scott - who orders reamers for me - says when I tell him what I want!

“WHAT?”

Is normally the first word.

Followed by “OH JEEZ!”

I have wildcats, in several calibers, based on practically all major case heads!

From the 222 family all the way up to the 416 Rigby! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66900 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates to all..

I did buy 45 nickel cases locally, so I can get by until I find some other brass in quantity...I hate that nickel brass as its hard to resize and Ive seen particles of nickel stuck in chamber necks from shooting it...the cure for that is outside neck ream just enough to remove the nickel and from what Ive observed by a local friend of mine who does this with all nickel brass cases...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found some 7 mag brass and 350 300 win mag cases in my case barrel, made a couple of cases from the 7mag ran into a 300 win mag die then a 338 die, its working, I may or may not anneal at this point, but it never hurts to anneal at any point..Ill play with that..Owning a .338 Win. these days is worse than a off the wall wildcat..Just pisses me off....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These guys had some a while ago, had to email to verify. I would just call. Very nice folks, fair deal, fast shipping too.

https://etbrass.com/Rifle_Brass.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
..Owning a .338 Win. these days is worse than a off the wall wildcat..Just pisses me off....

Tried finding any 300 H&H brass lately? Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys must not search GB often; there is a plethora of 338 brass on it right now, at good prices. This is becoming a lot harder than it needs to be. Not for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I got enamoured by the idea of Ross Seyfried's 30/ 416 AI. Basically a 416 Rigby necked to a 30 cal + fireformed in chamber. Reports were 4K MV w/ a 180 G. bullet. The snag was the cost of the dies. At that time (when we could still order direct from RCBS). The reloading dies were about $400.00, not too bad for wildcat dies but the case form die set was close to $900.00. So I put that idea on the back burner. Then I got the idea that since the 338 Lapua is a 416 necked to 338 then sizing from 338 to 308 should not be that big of a problem. I still haven't tried this project but it seems like a great round for a Ruger #1. Just because.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know anyone driving from Minneapolis to where you live. If so I have some very carefully loaded once fired .338 brass. 4 are 210 Nosler partitions and 15 are 225 Nosler partitions. Also
about 40 once fired cases.

I sold the three .338s I owned so no need for these. You can have them but I won't ship them. Also, have a set of dies for sale if you know anyone who needs a set.

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found 200 new WW cases from etbrass.com so Im good to go..thanks DELLORO

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray

Good luck using your new brass on whatever you hunt with it this fall.

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I just hope, Ray, that if I ever get to your age I can have worries like where to find brass for my 338. God bless you, buddy!

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote