Find
Notify
Tools

electronic scales
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted
hi guys, what are peoples thoughts on the best electronic scales and powder throwers for accuracy

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as accuracy (and speed) are concerned, I used my carat scale for years. It measured to .01 grains and gave an instant reading.

It broke a few years ago and I picked up a Cabela's branded digital scale. It goes to .1 grain and takes a few seconds to give a reading.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with the RCBS combo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you deem necessary in charge weight accuracy and the application of the gun, and what you are willing to spend on it. The general use scales sold in the reloading community measure to +/-.1gr. Good enough for 95% of the community. Pretty much all are under 500.00. Then you jump to lab grade scales that measure to +/- .01gr. At the moment there is one that has a good bunch of reviews, the Autotrickler V3, at 960.00. RCBS has a new one out this month, at 8-900.00 that is much the same in a different package. All depends if you really need that level of accuracy in the charge weight. People who shoot past 400yds say it makes a difference. A lot of them do extraordinary case preps also, with match grade chambers in the guns. And spend a lot more time shooting than 95% of the people who reload. Up to you to decide where your needs really fall.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A&D EJ-123 scale is on my want list.

Posts: 691 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with my RCBS Chargemaster Lite which I use for extruded (stick) powders and my Redding 3BR powder measure which I use for spherical powders. I use an Dandy Omega electronic 2-speed powder trickler with the Redding powder measure when needed. I check my powder throws with an RCBS M1000 which has proven to be as accurate as my two electronic scales (RCBS RangeMaster 1000 and Myweigh GemPro 250) I also own and use on occasion. Plus, the M1000 is not as apt to go astray and need recalibration as frequently as my electronic scales.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Lymans for many years and been completely satisfied.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to know what something weighs be sure to keep a good balance beam scale around.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I've only owned (2 each) 1500 RCBS in combination with the Charge Master system, both went buns up (one by the scale, the other by the dispenser, then the scale) . I've always been disappointed with electronic equipment in general, no matter who made them (computers, scales, or toaster ovens). They burn out and need to be replaced at a pretty high price. Balance beam scales are forever, a one time purchase if treated right and maintained.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im old and don't care for them, too slow and not as accurate as my old hopper I been using for 50 years, you use a regular powder measure for enough years, you get extremely accurate with it..I seldom weigh loads these days, I use a smooth metering powder the mostly fills the case and eye ball the rounds..Ive tested this many many times for doubting friends and took their money every time...Drop by sometime, we
ll gamble on that, dollars or donuts your choice.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of HiDrag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I've only owned (2 each) 1500 RCBS in combination with the Charge Master system, both went buns up (one by the scale, the other by the dispenser, then the scale) . I've always been disappointed with electronic equipment in general, no matter who made them (computers, scales, or toaster ovens). They burn out and need to be replaced at a pretty high price. Balance beam scales are forever, a one time purchase if treated right and maintained.

My Charge Master system has run like a top for 5 years. I do think a well calibrated balance scale and trickler are more accurate. It’s a speed vs precision trade off that I make.

Surgeon Slut

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With Quote