Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Lot Variation versus Seating Depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I observed something this evening that I've never seen before, but assume it due to variations across bullet lots from the same vendor.

Fully understand variations on bullets with lead tips. On ballistic tips my experience has always been that they are very uniform and I've always achieved a +/- .0005 variance on my average seating depth.

Well, this evening was plugging along on my 280AI loads (separate thread here) and had it dialed in a 3.330". No issues. It was consistent.

Well, I switched to a newer lot of Nosler 160 gr ABs and kept going. I came back and the cartridges were 3.325" with the new lot. Nothing else changed.

Have other folks seen this?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you do know they set up the machines by hand for each run of bullets.

sometimes the blems you get are the bullets made during the setup process.

they can vary a touch here and there as they work towards the final settings.
[and operating temp of the dies themselves]

or they can be pretty darn good from the check and move process right before the machines get going 100% up to speed.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with 2 diff. lots of 168g TTSX Barnes. dancing

..308 Wink

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
So, AH, is the issue in your opinion that Nosler changed the ogive, whereby the bullet seater engages it closer to the tip, thus pushing it farther into the case?

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I had that problem with Hornady 139 gr 7mm bullets and the canelure was also in a different location.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
So, AH, is the issue in your opinion that Nosler changed the ogive, whereby the bullet seater engages it closer to the tip, thus pushing it farther into the case?

I wouldn't say they changed it, I'd say there might be a manufacturing variation.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
slight anomalies such as die temperature, lube viscosity, air temp changes, and machine speed will make slight tolerances unavoidable.

the only way to have 100% consistency is to run the machine at the same speed at the same air temp and not have any wear on any of the dies or machinery.

so even doing that will only produce same-same for a short period of time.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
slight anomalies such as die temperature, lube viscosity, air temp changes, and machine speed will make slight tolerances unavoidable.

the only way to have 100% consistency is to run the machine at the same speed at the same air temp and not have any wear on any of the dies or machinery.

so even doing that will only produce same-same for a short period of time.

I'm going to check to see if the seating depth vs the lands are different for these bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything you change in reloading a case, can effect many things, for the most part and for hunting purposes none of it has any real effect on the accuracy or killing effect of the bullet, bullets, primers, cases, powder have a degree of difference, in severe cases it can create havoc..fortunately its usually not even noticeable...A group shooter, target shooter, all these things create anything from havoc to over reactionary problems..Only the shooter can make proper decisions on its effect..and normally he is the only one that can fix it or even figure it out..takes gun in hand to determine the problem..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to measure using a comparator. I have started measuring OAL using a comparator and a shell holder because sometimes primers are not fully seated (even if you use a uniforming tool).

Anything else is a waste of time unless you are loading for a rifle to be used at close range only (less than 300 yards)

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What AZWriter said.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington core lokts bullets are never the same length you got to check the length on every bullet you seat., But I love those bullets.

Posts: 112 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote