Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Rem 100gr loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
So for years I shot the 100gr BTSP Hornady Custom out of my Model 7, until they discontinued them. I have tried various powders and not really found anything the gun like using this bullet. I contacted Hornady to try to elicit as much info as I can about the load (knowing liability and non-canister powders would hinder me) and they suggested I look at H4831 and IMR7828. These slow burners give super speed in the books (with 24"+ barrels) but I am wondering about the 20" barrel on my rifle. I got a pound of 7828 today, but they were out of H4831. I have bought and shot the Superformance and if the muzzle flash and God awful report weren't bad enough, they pattern like dove loads. Thanks in advance for any help.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
superformance is in the same burn speed family as 4831.
RL-19 is a touch faster and done good work for me in the 6mm with 100's.

the rifle totally preferred lighter bullets, and I already had a 243 that actually fit in it's short action so the 6 went on down the road.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldTo maintain accuracy and reduce muzzle blast I suggest H414 and H380 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 6mm M788 always shot 100-grain CoreLokts best with IMR4350, usually between 42 and 43 grains.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Never tried it - the slower Ram shot powders might help - double based ball powder modern technology. How about Re17?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
My 6mm M788 always shot 100-grain CoreLokts best with IMR4350, usually between 42 and 43 grains.

Mine liked 105g Speers with IMR 4350 as well

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
IMR4350 and 100gr Sierra's have shown the most promise so far. I have some H414 and H380, but figured they would be better with lighter bullets. Anyone used R22 or is that too slow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple 6mms and found RL19 to be the most accurate with near highest velocities.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R-26 gives good velocity and good accuracy. I also like IMR7828.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Rem has been my pet round for years...
Growing up, I had, bought new by my Dad, a 1964 Remington M600 18" barrel in 6mm Rem, and a Marlin 336 30/30.... as years went by, I have accumulated from .17 all the way to 45/70, with my "all round" now being a M700 in the 7mm Rem Mag (139g Hornady SP pushing ~3300 fps based on an early '60's load of IMR4350 - 9/16" 5 shot 100yd group), ... although I still love to shoot the 6mm Rem...

Being from a handload family, we have always developed "nat swattin'" loads for each and every caliber we have, for each and every firearm we have, handgun or Long gun...

OK... so I have been known to teach people that want to learn how to handload... not the YouTube BS, but practical, years of experience handloading... I have Rock Chuckers, Lee Turrets, Hornady Lock N Loads, Pacific... and Herter's (yeah, if you've ever been to Houston in the '70's - you would definitely remember the life-size "Trophies" in the windows of Herter's)...

Now, here's my rules... let's clarify a few things before I proceed... #1) - anybody can shoot 3 shots decently... 5 shots shows shooter ability to group... #2) the Sled is for proving a load or firearm - sandbagging shows shooter ability - if you can truly produce sub MOA groups off hand,(50yds with a handgun....), especially over 200yds with a long gun... my hat is off to you and a deep bow to my knees is in order.... #3) My reloading "room" is probably better stocked than your local Academy/Bass Pro...
#4) I don't live in town, and my 100yrd range is outside my back door, my long range is a 1 minute ride on my Kawasaki mule... #5) A "group" is measured from outside to outside - ie. the best "group" you can get from a .50bmg is .50" (screw the pansies that want to measure center to center - a .50" hole is a .50" hole... duh!) ... #6) if you're shooting my range - 6" is the biggest target I'm giving you at 400, 500, 600yds...

Just so you know... I haven't seen any other response to MV... From experience, if a load is based on a a 24" barrel, you can expect about 100 fps loss per inch less of barrel in muzzle velocity... IE... 3000fps in say 24" will result in your 20" around 2600fps....

In the "old days", my 6mm load was based on N205 powder pushing a 100g Core-lokt at a little over 3k - 10' from the muzzle out of that 18" barrel (have to get the chrony away from the blast)... sandbagged, it would consistently group a 100yd 5 shot at about 1/2" - muzzle flash would light up the world on a dark night, like you stated... but it was "cookin'", and accurate...
Unfortunately they discontinued the N205 and I was set to the task of finding another powder...
The closest I came to the N205 accuracy was IMR4831 (note the H4831 and H4831sc are totally different powders) at 3/4" sandbagged 5 shot l00yrd group, although I could not get the fps that the N205 produced with the short barrel (2850 fps) ... If I pushed the load a little hotter, I started cratering the primer, indicating reaching pressure limit... Later, they re-introduced the N205 powder, but it is NOT the same as old...

So.... Since I don't shoot the 6mm THAT much anymore... AND I love to work with kids, teaching them to hunt and fish... I started working on a reduced recoil load on the 6mm (and .243 Win)...
Using Blue Dot powder - which will create full pressure, but a lower velocity - therefore less recoil... , my father and I, around 2001-2002, developed a load (I'm pretty sure a username Seafire was probably involved in, as Dad was very involved in, and moderated several handloading forums before he passed in 2017...)for both of the .243 caliber rounds... In the 6mm REM, with the short barrel, something in the neighborhood of 17g for the 100g SP would consistently produce 1/4" 5 shot sandbagged 100yds groups (ie. almost 1 hole) out of the 18" barreled M600 - this load produced about 2100 fps - and almost no muzzle flash... We calculated this load to be acceptable bullet performance up to around 150 yards...
I hope this has provided you some useful information...

"Besides a well tuned round, a firearm's accuracy is largely dependent on what's attached on the other end of the booger hook that's on the the trigger"

Posts: 4 | Location: Deep East Texas | Registered: 08 December 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
IMR 7828 for sure

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info ol Son. That blue dot load looks like fun, and no doubt would be enough for deer within 150 yards while minimizing muzzle blast and recoil, perfect for the young uns.

I sure wish I had a range handy. I have one close but it's the local FOP lodge and the local LEOs and State Troopers, Pardon's and Parole, Conservation Officers, etc all use it so it can be tough to get there when no one is around. Maybe one of these days.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the 6mm Remington since 1972 in a factory varmint special heavy barrel. Shot that barrel out and replaced it with a Shilen No 6 contour 26 inch ss barrel. I'm now to the point where the throat has eroded again that I am having the action rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmor. I have never shot light weight bullets in my 6mm, as it would one hole the Hornady 105 Amax's using 49.5-51 grains of H1000 with ease. Love that round but it's hell on barrels!

Posts: 28 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote