Find
Notify
Tools

Enlightening day at the range yesterday. 22 PPC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
EekerI only brought one rifle; my Stevens MOD 200 IN 22PPC. I wanted to experiment with reduced loads using H110, PRVI reformed 7.62x39 cases and Winchester large primers.
Eeker The bolt closed a little hard. Got a blown primer with the first shot and the bolt opened hard.The spent case stayed in the chamber. Had to push it out with a cleaning rod. The second shot had an identical result ;Stopped.

Confused Tried another load with BL-C2 , same primer and cases. The bolt closed hard! The lift was really hard on two shots. No blown primers and no stuck cases.No other pressure signs. I began to suspect the extractor. Was taking it apart and the ball detente flew out. Found it after about 20 min.The extractor slide looked in good shape so I put it back together.
Today I tried Different cases and found they also closed hard and opened hard with out shooting. Than while exercising the bolt I noticed that the slide type safety was moving
back and forth a little. After a little case testing I found that only the reformed cases were closing a little hard. The 22PPC Norma cases were just fine.
Started pulling bullets and than FL resizing and replacing the primers. I noticed the primers were not really tight.Replaced the Winchester primers with CCI #34s. Surprise tight fit.
oldEvery case went in EZ and came out EZ.
popcornI will continue to get more data using the H-110.
The pissers WLR primers were purchased about 15 years ago when they first appeared in the market place unplated. This isn't the first case of these primers causing me a little headache. beerroger

Well yesterday was a new ball game.
Confusedpulled a lot of bullets re-sized and chambered every case.No problem . reduced the loads of H-110 a bit seated the bullets and again chambered them . Again no problem.
Smiler With 52gr. Nosler comp. bullets at 50 yd. the first 3 shoot group was .05", the second three shots were .500 and the next .400.
tu2With the Hornady 55gr sp. the 4 shot group was .05" again But was starting to get harder and harder chambering and extraction until it was impossible to chamber any longer.
shockerMaking a long investigation short I noticed small indentations on the last fired case at the body shoulder junction and that rang the bell. The H110 was leaving some unburned powder to the point that chambering could not be achieved.
WhistlingAfter a good long cleaning and bottle brushing of the chamber Voila.perfect
operation.

holycowNow although the accuracy yeilded by the H-110 was really great the potential problem kind a leaves me cold about re-using it. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now although the accuracy yeilded by the H-110 was really great the potential problem kind a leaves me cold about re-using it

It pays to read the warning signs.

If they say bridge out it most likely is.

Posts: 19345 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been some threads on reduced loads, and from memory there were a couple powders that were good for that purpose (AA5744 maybe?) because they are bulky and will burn clean. The ball powders do not generally work well in reduced loads.

Why not get a 22 hornet? Seems like that would fill the bill for what you're trying to do, and it's a good excuse to get another rifle! H110 works great in a hornet.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't even know what to say other than ball powders do not work at low pressures and all the books say so.

Posts: 17084 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most 22PPC shooters use a light load "25gr" of H4198 or "28Gr" of H322. I suspect you are using the wrong powder.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldMy sole objective is to just test stuff.I'm really not trying to find the best load. The last time I tested H-110 was about 1993 in a .357 Mag. with 148 gr. lead bullets. Short result; the bullet left the chamber entering into the barrel. As it completely crossed the gap between the barrel and the cylinder there was a fair size BANG and no hole in the target. The bullet was lodged in the barrel . The bang was the gas and unburned powder exiting between the cylinder and the barrel.However that same load worked great in my .357 rifle built on a Ruger #3.
Roll EyesSome of my testing with other ball powders in large capacity cases produced a lot of CLICK BANGS.
tu2I'm rather familiar with what powders to use for reduced loading.Back around 2005 , Seafire's blue dot loadings were really interesting to me as were the hot discussions they provoked on this forum.
thumbdownThe testing I will never do again is with duplex loads. It was interesting but proved also to be dangerous.
flameroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
H110 / WW296 does not like to burn if there's room in the case. Buddy had 454 casull loads go pop and not ignite.

Posts: 6377 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote