THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    458 SOCOM handloads - super-sonic, max safe loads - 16" barrel
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 SOCOM handloads - super-sonic, max safe loads - 16" barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I enjoy going to his site just to see all he has available.

Thanks. I noticed lots of what appears to be good products, re 458S - pricy.

I'm waiting for the followers I ordered to arrive. I see how to remove the guts of the magazines I have, and replace the follower.

I'm interested in these single stack followers and hope they work. It makes sense to me to have a follower that centers and aligns with the mag lips for singles-stack.

I know the 458 SOCOM was supposedly designed to feed from the 223 mags. "Supposed to feed" is something I have a long history with from messing with bolt actions, especially Mausers.

Obviously there is a difference in "supposed to feed" and actual feeding properly.

IMO, single stack ought to have a single stack follower.

XXX

Reality - resistance if futile

Posts: 19552 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new single stack followers arrived and I installed one, replacing the 223 follower. I tried manually cycling the rounds through and they fed without jamming. I tried it twice with four rounds down. Looks good so far.

I'll load up some more ammo and try shooting to see if they jam. I can see already that I need to crimp the mouth of the case a little more.
They catch a little on the mag on the way out but not so much to cause malfunction.

I'm looking forward to doing some real testing of different loads, including some Hornady 350 gr, 405 gr Remington FN, and maybe some of the 300 gr Barnes TSX (without the blue tip).

I may save the 300 gr TSX to shoot in my 458 WM since I can easily run them faster in that cartridge - say 2100 fps MV ought to be enough. I think the 300 gr TSX may not open up at SOCOM vel, like the 300 gr TTSX will, by design. Neck shots on hogs ought to be a good use for them.

XXX

Posts: 19552 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this video wherein the guy claims to have solved the feeding issues with a new bolt.

The guy seems to know what he's talking about.

Kinda interesting ole guy anyway.

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVux9J-fvAs

458 SOCOM Chambering Problems 2.0 (FIXED)

XXX