THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Pressure Factors - Old research paper from Lloyd Brownell PHD

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure Factors - Old research paper from Lloyd Brownell PHD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
An interesting article.The data while very well done have some results that have since been proven otherwise. This is solely due to the much better test equipment since 1965.
I worked at H.P White Labs and we conducted test very similar to those done years before.
I ran an ultra-high speed X-Ray camera that could image the bullet as it was fired down the bore as well as down range.
Most of my work was "filming" the bullet at 1,0000th of a second or even faster.
While most of the results are not released due to the data belonging to the contractors who hired the lab to conduct the test, (US Gov'mt) I can say that for the most part the article is correct in their findings.
The author of the paper did put in several disclaimers concerning some of the findings and hypothesized on the results as the true empirical data was not established at the time of the test.
This paper did,in it's own way, start to help the research of so called "Pressure Spikes" and "low powder charge detonation" using much better test equipment that could "see" what happens in real time when a cartridge is fired.
Much of the data that we collected was classified due to the Cold War and as far as I know still is.
Still, thank you for posting the paper as I'm sure the avid ballistic junky will find it a good read.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 443 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob
You're welcome.
I got the original information in bits and pieces in my Handloader Magazine subscription. I know it is dated due to the old instrumentation used. However when it was published it was the only thing like it I had ever seen.
I think Wolfe Publishing charges about $18 for the same information on CD.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote