New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about IMR's SR 4759
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is SR 4759 the powder used for reduced loads in rifles? Thanks.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
There are loads for it in my Speer manual noted as "reduced load."

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I found a list of calibers with 4759 reduced loads on the web that look very reasonable.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR-4759 is a hi bulk powder designed for reduce loads. And because of its bulk it is hard to double charge a case.

Below I used SR-4759 and Trial Boss powders in my reduced fire forming loads for my .303 British cases. In the photo below I'm using 100 grain .312 pistol bullets. This makes the brass butt plate softer when forming 100 to 200 cases. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesAbout 15 years ago at the range a guy put an 8# jug of 4759 with a 4 SALE sign on the table . I asked how much and he said $20.00 !! I've used most of it and for a senior citizen that shots paper it is a recoil reducing God send.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Because I use SR 4759 in cast loads for my 30-06, 35 Whelen, and my .458 WM, I bought three 8 lb'ers when it was announced discontinued a few years ago. Ken Watters preferred 4227 for his cast rifle loads but I have never found a need to look past 4759. Yes it is bulky and thus a bit of a pain to try and drop from a measure, but the little old Lee Scoopers work masterfully.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
IMR 4198 and XMR-5744 are alternatives.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will keep those on hand. The more horses in the stable, the better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,

Are you are aware that IMR/Hodgdon discontinued SR 4795 powder a few years ago? Worth using up old stock of course but there are not really equivalent replacements available depending on cartridge you are reloading. Trail Boss in handgun will work well.

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawndart,

Are you are aware that IMR/Hodgdon discontinued SR 4795 powder a few years ago? Worth using up old stock of course but there are not really equivalent replacements available depending on cartridge you are reloading. Trail Boss in handgun will work well.

Yes,
I should be getting an eight pound keg in a week or two. That will last me the rest of my life. I do have Trail boss, and 5744. I'll find out which loads work best in my various rifles, .223 - 416 Rigby.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone in Idaho has some 4759 that they would be willing to sell, I would like to buy it. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could no longer get SR 4759 because it was discontinued. And Trail Boss is a good hi bulk powder for reduced loads.

I prefer using powders like SR 4759 and Trail Boss because you can not double charge your cases.

I'm 67 and have been reloading over 47 years and a few months ago I had a double charge of 231 in a 357 Magnum Ruger Vaquero. I was lucky it was a light cowboy load and no damage to the pistol occurred. "BUT" I still had to hammer the case out of the cylinder.

Bottom line, be careful with small charges of fast burning powders and double and triple check your cases for the correct charge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
If anyone in Idaho has some 4759 that they would be willing to sell, I would like to buy it. Thanks.

If you're near Lewiston you might check with Speer office. Years ago Dave Andrews was involved with the manual development and he could provide info on where to get "stuff" He has since passed away, but I'd bet his replacement would also be able to help in that discussion.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Lawn Dart
If you are a safe reloader Sea Fire's Blue Dot
postings opened up a controversial option to reduced rifle loading. I've used Blue Dot in many rifles and was truly satisfied with the performance. tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice, and good ideas from all. I really appreciate your insights.