New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes 120 TTSX in 7mm-08
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to work up load for a the 120TTSX in the 7mm-08 For a Browning ABolt II.

The rifle consistently shoots 3/4 in. 100 yd. groups with 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips over 42 grains of Varget.

Reason for Barnes is the rifle will be moving to CA.

Best I can do with Varget with the TTSX is 1.1 to 1.4 in. groups over 43.5 grains. Groups open up with less powder or more powder.

I am seating the bullet at max magazine length (2.80) which puts the bullet .020 off the lands.

Should I seat further from the lands? Different powder?
any other ideas?

Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Contact AR member Graybird, he has an accurate load for the 120 TTSX in 7-08.
He's taken a couple elk with it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reason for Barnes is the rifle will be moving to CA.

Sorry to hear that I hope the move proves worth while.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle belongs to my son. He is in the Air Force. Very high probability he will be headed to Edwards for his next assignment. Working up a load for him while I the rifle.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those TTSX's like lots of jump. Continue to seat bullet deeper by .02 until you find accuracy. I'm betting you will.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
In the 7-08, use RL-15 in the 44-45 gr range. I bet you'll be shooting tiny groups in no time with the above.

I have my load close to standard COAL, don't remember exactly what the jump is to the lands, but you can play with that after finding your powder charge.

Good luck!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in Commifornia they enacted the lead ban for hunting and developed a load for my 7-08 Kimber which turned out to be the most accurate load for it. I used IMR4350 and 120 gr Barnes bullets. I can't find my notes about what the charge was and I haven't shot the Kimber in six years or so. Hope this helps some.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the 7-08, use RL-15 in the 44-45 gr range.

I to use RL-15 with 140's 'good stuff'

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Not to beat a dead horse , If you already decided on a load , I have been shooting the
140 Nosler E-Tip
40 Grains of Varget
in the 7 MM-08 .
I do live in CA .
Mild recoil and kills deer. Along with great accuracy .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Seat the bullet deeper. Barnes recommends .050" off the lands. I always start mine there and find that Barnes likes the long jump.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Spot on - 0.50 from rifling. Never failed me in 20 years of using Barnes TSX bullets

Varget (AR2208) is the best I have tries in my Kimber Montana 7mm08 and also H4350 (AR2209)

With Barnes 120 gr bullet, the point of impact went up 15+ inches in my rifle! On one hunt we hurriedly took the rifles out of the car and stalked up to a river flat grabbed the first round and I fired for the top of the heart at 30 meters and spined the stag in velvet!

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Seat the bullet deeper. Barnes recommends .050" off the lands. I always start mine there and find that Barnes likes the long jump.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 110 gr TTSXs, CFE223, and 2.79” COL. CFE223 gave the best accuracy and velocity with that bullet in my rifle. For the same COL and 120 gr TTSX, I would start at 45 gr and work up from there.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote