THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do pistol primers have the same metal as rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a couple of thousand large rifle and pistol primers but am low on small, which seem difficult to find. For sage rat and prairie god shooting next year I'm thinking of making brass for my 22BR, which uses small primers, out of 22-250 brass in order to use large primers. I'm happy with .222 velocities, which would be pretty low pressure in the BR case, and wondering if pistol primers would be a problem.

Any of yuou smart guys have a clue?

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but I believe that large pistol primers max out at 40k psi and they are shorter in height. I drilled out a bunch of 375 socom brass, having the exact opposite problem as you, pretty sure they are rifle only now

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting my Savage .243 today and for the loads I used CCI Large Pistol Primers with H380 and they shot great. I also use Small Pistol Magnum primers in my .218B with LiL' Gun and they also shoot great.

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Answer to your primary question is, no.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unless your prepared to get real creative with your loads... no.
just my personal cut-off but 40-K is what I consider the ''safe zone'' for large pistol primers.
I do use a lot of large pistol primers in rifle loads with all sorts of calibers, but most of them are loafing along at about 2-K FPS or thereabouts.

the 22 cals are a little easier to get a bit more speed out of with the pistol primers, but I still limit the pressures down to that same 40-K zone.

you know maybe [shrug] maybe not,, But I ain't a fan of changing firing pins, or wiping hot gas particles out of my eyes.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the firing pin having too much punch, but I'll start off slow.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My clue ? I don't think you will have any problems as long as you keep your pressures/velocities in the 222 range.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Large pistol primers are the same diameter as large rifle primers, but LPPs are about 9 thousandths shallower (.122 to .131), so not all rifle firing pins may reach them with enough umph to set off the cartridge. Conversely, LRPs in handgun cartridges may slam-fire if not seated deeply enough in the shallower pocket, and also have harder cups which may not set off with handgun firing pins. SPPs and SRPs are the same size and are much more interchangeable.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We do routinely use large pistol primers in black powder cartridges, due to the lower brsiance, however, not germane to your application. Just information.
The key is pressure and you will find out how far to go.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote