Notify
Tools

Poll on best factory reloading die sets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Vote and tell me why. Confused

Question:
What are the best factory die sets available now??
Why??

Choices:
RCBS
Redding
Hornady
Forestor
Lee

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding. Quality, usability, and customer support.

The only thing I don't like about them is their lock rings, but, it is a personal choice.

Made in USA if that matters to you.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Redding & RCBS equally. Main reason is cust serv but I have to say RCBS has the price down & I like their opening (window) in their dies. I think Redding is also quality and very accurate, well built. I use dies made by both RCBS & Redding.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used them all and they all are the best. Some calibers are only made by certain makers so can't compare. I even have some Herters Model Perfect Dies. Work fine.
Now I buy mostly Hornady and Lee.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS by far.

Redding was rude and uninformed on a call I made to them!

I am a purchasing agent who buys goods, materials and services every day. Redding was non professional and wrong!

Also Redding's FL dies do not have an air bleed hole like RCBS's do.

RCBS

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have mostly RCBS dies, they are excellent quality for the money. I would rank my dies in order of my preferenc:

RCBS
Lyman
Hornady
Lee

I do not own a Redding die, so will not comment on them.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have used them all and they all are the best. Some calibers are only made by certain makers so can't compare. I even have some Herters Model Perfect Dies. Work fine.
Now I buy mostly Hornady and Lee.

Well, I haven't used them all, but the Hornady, Redding and Lee dies I have seem equally good, where "good" means ammo that is as accurate or more accurate than I think I can shoot.

RCBS's customer service has been consistently great to me, so I voted for them.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to Forester but for customer support, it would be RCBS. I have competition seater dies from both Forester & RCBS. For me, the witness marks on the Foresters are easier to read than on the RCBS ones. It would be nice if the witness marks were in a contrasting color (such as white?) instead of in the same dark color as the die body. Otherwise, I think the RCBS is good too.
Bear in FAirbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady for my normal stuff and Redding for the neck and special dies. Hornady has been very good to me in the past.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding for precision
Rcbs for good overall value and customer service.
Hornady????????/
Lee......not even good for paper weights...

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have at least 10 sets of lee dies; as good as any of the others and better than some older RCBS. Which lee dies did you have problems with?

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS, Hornady, and Lyman, all good. I use Lee only for crimp dies.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I sense a reluctance to use Lee dies; have you had bad results with them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that RCBS customer service is great. Over the past twenty plus years I have returned a bunch of RCBS equipment, from warped dies to a bent press. I received replacements right away, no questions asked. That's the good news.

The bad news is the number of items I purchased which were defective from the factory. I stopped buying RCBS and buy Redding or Hornady.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 30 to 40 die sets and a lot of different makers some not even in business any more.

When looking at the boxes I say I have more lee dies then any other brand.

They all produce good reloads.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never used Forester. The rest have all worked fine for me. Mostly RCBS on the bench right now. Good CS. Have no experience with the other companies service.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CH4D for most stuff.

Neil Jones at CPS for real BR precision things.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some of all of those dies and about that many other brands too.

Forster's with the BR seater are my preferred dies when I can find them used.

Otherwise I pick RCBS. RCBS has better prices, better availability used, better design, better materials and workmanship than most, and better customer service by miles and miles.

Another brand that I like is Eagle but they are not very easy to find in any caliber.

Redding are not really that great of a die though some folks confuse price with quality.
Still they are about a 3rd place qualitywise but over priced.

Lee's are just cheap.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Wilson,Neil Jones,Redding bushing dies.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I prefer my Lee Dies, as they are inexpensive, and they work.

I never HAD to use Lee's customer service. The ONLY time I used Lee customer service was when I wanted to order a separate collet die, instead of buying it in a set. They were satisfactory.

My RCBS and Hornady dies are ok, but why pay more for them?

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Mainly Lee. Been using them since the mid 80's when I bought a set of TC .45 ACP dies really cheap, expecting them to be crap. I used them competitively for nearly 20 years.

I also have a set of Redding for my 260 Rem and a set of RCBS for my 9.3x62 - but that's just because I couldn't get Lees at that time in those calibres.

I like the Lee adjustment and locking. Never have to look for an Allen key.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I like forester, especially the BR Seater Die.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I think RCBS is the best product but I have been buying Lee lately as they are 'good enough' for cowboy action shooting distances and they are very cost effective with a shell holder included in the set.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Idaho Sharpshooter said, CH-4D. I have and use all the others and really can't see any difference among them except for Lee. Cheap and they work....they work especially good if you need to grind out then hone or otherwise modify a die and don't want to do that to a more expensive die. That's my biggest use for them.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'll refrain from suggesting one brand over another, but I will go on record saying that Hornady makes the best designed lock rings IMHO.

You can buy them separately from the dies too for other dies you may have.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
One thing for sure...for crimping...you can't beat the Lee Factory Crimp Die and they include one in many sets now.

I can't tell much difference in any of the above brands when it gets right down to what they produce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I sense a reluctance to use Lee dies; have you had bad results with them?

I am with you. What specifically do Lee dies NOT do satisfactorily?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Forster dies. I'm loading on an old Bonanza Co-Ax press. I will be reloading for 45 ACP shortly and will be going with Redding dies as I can't get any in Forster.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding and Forester are super nice dies, but I'm an old guy and been using RCBS exclusively for damn near a century and never had a problem,not one...the price is right and the folks there care!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a bit of most brands, but on any new sets I am partial to Lyman offerings. Still, the only reason not to use Lee is if loading lead bullets, and then it only means using something other than the Lee crimp die. There I buy Redding crimp dies.

The only RCBS die I have is the lockout powder check die.

I couldn't vote without a Lyman choice.

Posts: 6 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The only problem I've ever had with any dies is the unthreaded hornady decaping rods being pulled out of the die. Otherwise I've tried just about all of them (except ch4d)

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have dies from practically all makers, and I have never found one that did not function right.

I have also got custom dies made by several manufacturers, and they all work great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I voted Lee

I have no reason to complain......except their damn lock ring

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mainly have R.C.B.S. but i have used Redding and Lyman. I have no complaints on none of em.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to like the Lee lock ring; so much so I bought extras to use on all of my dies. Life is too short to fiddle around with an allen head set screw, IMHO. I also like the Lyman 'M' die for loading lead bullets in my revolver reloads. The Lee factory crimp die is a must IMHO when reloading semi-auto pistol rounds. I have had good luck with RCBS dies but admit to being nervous in purchasing their products lately as they 'fell of the wagon' and now have products made in China.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
I use RCBS, Hornady, and Lyman, all good. I use Lee only for crimp dies.

Having posted this earlier, today I sent my 9mm sizer back to Hornady because the cases were "almost" sticking, I had to lube the cases to resize without effort. I cleaned the die, polished the brass, made no difference. Will report on customer service in a week or two. Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have never owned Foster dies. But I do have at least one of the rest. I also have a Lyman and a CH4D die set.

I like all of them. One Redding is a bushing die & has its advantages for the 280 Ack Imp.

I like the Lee die set for crimping with the seating die for the 358 Win! I am able to do that also with the Lyman dies for the 416 Rigby but only with canelured bullets. No collapsed shoulders yet! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
The only problem I've ever had with any dies is the unthreaded hornady decaping rods being pulled out of the die. Otherwise I've tried just about all of them (except ch4d)

Hornady is quite good about sending out no charge replacements to upgrade top the newer style.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I have used them all and they all are the best. Some calibers are only made by certain makers so can't compare. I even have some Herters Model Perfect Dies. Work fine."

Ditto. I've been reloading some 49 years, I've used and measured the output of a lot of dies, there's as much variation between individual dies of the same brand as there is between brands. Trashing any die brand is an indication of someone too inexperienced to make such judgments.

I grew out of emotional attachmenst to inanimate objects long ago and buy new dies by the specific features I want, not the color of the box. .

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have loaded thousands of round on Lee and RCBS dies.
Either will do. I have had no issues with Lee or RCBS. For the money, I'd go with LEE.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote