Find
Notify
Tools

Best Score of My Life...So Far!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
At a gun show today searching for deals on anything (mostly just killing a rainy Friday afternoon) and came across one of the many "cleanout" tables with old reloading goods on them. I've found some pretty decent deals before, but today takes the cake. They had a whole pile of reloading books stacked up, and the top one was a lightly-used copy of the A-Square Any Shot You Want manual! Rare enough to see one of those in the wild. I sheepishly asked how much, fully expecting an astronomical number. What I got was, "How about five bucks?" shocker

Barely, but convincingly, containing my excitement, I politely paid the man and walked away. A lovely addition to the library!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I woulda had to rifle through everything there to see whatever other goodies he might have had.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good score, I still refer to that manual on a regular basis even though it is dated. Be aware though that "they load 'em hot" for many of the cartridges. The articles on pressure and other reloading techniques in the front of the manual are very informative.

Stay safe

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it. Bought mine too many years ago, didn’t know they were rare today.

It’s a good read and I have a lot of time for the knowledge of Art Alphin.

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I bought my copy when it was first published and though not frequently used, it came in handy recently when I copied an entire page for a post and that made my point and avoided my keying in a lot of text.
It is a good addition to a library.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I primarily bought it for the text sections at the beginning. I find the load data to be average and a bit limited for the more popular calibers. Some of the powders they use have been discontinued, so that's kind of irrelevant.

I also make time to absorb the wisdom of Alphin, Aagard, Boddington, and Weiland (even if he's cranky). I haven't really seen the practices they detail in the book written anywhere else. It's very informative.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the manual for years and have used it extensively, starting with info on the .358 STA. Art Alpin was a fan of the STA and arranged for the Winchester Custom shop to produce 58 rifles. I was lucky enough to get one of those and it became my go to Elk rifle as well as the ideal plains game rifle for Africa. My rifle is Stainless with beautiful red walnut typical of all the Winchester Custom shop productions. The manual also gives Lot numbers on powder with its loads that I have never seen in other manuals. I found finding a particular lot impossible to do but still good info. I am a loading manual nut and cannot wait to get the latest available. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought quite a few copies of these since the 90's, even got a couple personally from Art Alphin when his shop was in IN. Good manual. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I have had the manual for years and have used it extensively, starting with info on the .358 STA. Art Alpin was a fan of the STA and arranged for the Winchester Custom shop to produce 58 rifles. I was lucky enough to get one of those and it became my go to Elk rifle as well as the ideal plains game rifle for Africa. My rifle is Stainless with beautiful red walnut typical of all the Winchester Custom shop productions. The manual also gives Lot numbers on powder with its loads that I have never seen in other manuals. I found finding a particular lot impossible to do but still good info. I am a loading manual nut and cannot wait to get the latest available. Good Shooting.
Yeah, that's one of the many benefits here - load data and standardization of then-uncommon calibers. The 358 STA, 416 Taylor, 470 Capstick, etc. are all fine calibers that aren't given the popularity they deserve. The load data and history of each detailed in the manual are excellent.