Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on presses
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to the forum, so please bare with me. I am in the next 30 days or so going to start reloading and wanted to ask around experienced peoples thoughts on presses that are on the market. Prices seem to go from reasonable to crazy. The Lee presses actually seem to be quite a bit cheaper than a RCBS, or Lyman or a Hornady. But is the quality ok? I will be reloading .243, .308 and some 9mm for starts. I dont expect to be doing over 100 to 200 rounds at a time.

Appreciate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most reasonably priced press out there is the Forster Co-ax. It's $250 but in terms of how it works it beats the other single stages hands down IMO.
"Crazy" would be any price paid for a press that is not enjoyable to use and not built to preclude a huge dose of frustration somewhere down the line. If I were looking at Lee I'd go with the classic cast (iron).

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks like the big, heavy RCBS Rockchucker. I have one after having had a Lee O-frame. The Lee loaded good ammo, as would any quality press. But the RCBS just feels better on the stroke. The Lee I had was cast pot metal. The ram had a bit of wobble, but not much. The RCBS is cast iron and the ram slides up and down with a solid, stable feel to it. The handle is also very long for sizing them big cases. Buy a Rockchucker and you'll never have to buy another...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oklabowhunt, You want good equiptment, Check Out a RCBS master reloading kit, its a great deal . It has a good, SOLID Press( heavy cast steel not aluminum), comes with most all the other stuff you need
I know Cabelas has the RCBS Master Kit, dont know who else has it. Go to the Cabelas web site , call, make order, sit back and wait for the brown truck Big Grin

Glad I have the Old RCBS Rockcrusher

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...=cat20847&id=0018937

I dont see the case trimer in that picture, like mine came with, 20+ years ago

Gets some calipers, a powder trickler, shell holder. I buy Redding dies, But have RCBS and Hornaday too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of the balance-beam scale, get a digital. Mine is an RCBS Rangemaster 750-- just a little one, but adequate for me. Get a Redding powder trickler to trickle your precise charges in your premium reloads up to exactly where you want 'em. I use a Lee powder measure for plinkin' ammo. I trickle the charges for my super-good, bestest ammo for my 300WSM target pig.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my balance beam scales, there accurate Big Grin, Yea Redding trickler its heavy and wont get knocked over

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Redding T-7 & digital scales make life easier

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee Classic cast press is as good or better than any single stage press out there. It is heavier made of steel and large enough to accomodate 50 BMG. http://www.leeprecision.com/cg...catalog/classic.html

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't somebody say RCBS presses are now made in china?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't somebody say RCBS presses are now made in china?

Yes, they are. But, the price sure doesn't refect it.

Presses get a lot of undeserved praise and scorn. Think of it, all they can possible do is push a case into a die and pull it back out. Every press made does that quite well. All else is personal taste. Some like Remington, others Winchester, still others Savage; ain't no "best", all work fine.

Lee's lower price presses are cast alum alloy. If that's "pot metal" so are engine blocks and pistons, pistol and shotgun actions, scope tubes, jet planes and missles, etc.

I don't have one but Lee's Classic Cast and Classic Turret are steel bodied, big and strong enough to load .50 BMG, have the best user features of any in their design class, handles spent primers better than most, made in the USA on CNC machinery and still costs less than others. If I had to replace my Rock Chucker tomorrow that's what I would get.

Oh yeah, a little "slop" in a press ram is a good thing. A round case will surely enter a round hole in a die properly if it's not prevented from doing so. We can't possibly force a case into a die straight but, if anything is out of alignment, a tight press sure can bend cases.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
co-ax is by far and away the most versatile press. universal shell holders, slide in dies, positive primer catcher etc. etc.

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Okie: You're a beginner, and your needs in terms of quantity and longevity are easily met with almost any press. I've been reloading for the better part of 50 years and clearly understand that almost any press will do what you need to do. Starting out, buy the least expensive (bench mounted) press you can find. But before going out to some retail store to look for one, first check the garage sales, Craigslist, etc. A forty year-old press that has been sitting in someone's garage for the last thirty years can often be picked up for a song (along with various accessories) and will do everything (and more) that you want.

Even as an "advanced" reloader, I've used the Lee O-frame aluminum press for certain operations and had absolutely no problems with it. I now own fancy cast/offset O-frames and the finest turret available, but I sure won't turn up my nose at a plain old "C"-frame made by C&H, Pacific, or Texan four decades ago -- they'll work just fine.

Posts: 13216 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Redding T-7 & digital scales make life easier

I'm a big fan of the Co-Ax too, but since you mentioned the 9m/m production volume is important too. You'll not be happy spending more time loading than you do shootin' & cleaning your guns. For a few more bucks Redding's T-7 is tough to beat, plus it allows one production capacity for pistol calibres and it isn't a Rube Goldberg affair like the RCBS piggyback system. Loading 20 to 100 rounds on a single stage press is no biggie, but 100 to 250 pistol rounds sucks!

It is also a good idea to check out the basic kits offered by Redding and RCBS, plus they come with books making them a solid foundation for the beginner. Used equipment is a good option if you have a reloading buddy that can help you out, otherwise one risks buying someone else's mistakes. Just remember that buying equipment you're not happy with is the biggest waste of all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been loading since about 1965 and have always used RCBS presses until a month ago.
Just bought my first Forster Co-Ax press and should of did it years ago.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6597 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Bonanza came out with the Co-Ax in '66, and hasn't been changed or updated since...they perfected it the first time.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This forum has an excellent SEARCH function. With a little inquiry, you can find extensive information/opinions on any piece of equipment extant.

It would be very easy for me to recommend a Redding Boss kit with a set of Lee powder dippers to you, and you'll be better served with it than any other available kit. However, if you SEARCH, you'll learn that I don't recommend kits and why I don't. You'll also know why I think something is the best choice for what you're loading. Then you'll be better equipped to decide what equipment suits your needs. As an included bonus, I've had things to say regarding Lee's quality.

Otherwise, you'll make a democratic choice, counting the tallies among Lee and RCBS and Forster (the deciding factor could be economic), and the Dillon folks who believe you should reload on a progressive for no particular good reason other than people who like Dillon like Dillon.

Good luck to you, and may the most popular candidate win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Redding Ultramag will do everything from the 17 Squirrel to the 505 Cal.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2......the coax has gone through one update that I know of in the past 2 years or so. The handle has been re-designed with a taller yoke so that taller competion dies can be used better. I have both versions....And I second or third the opinions above. For accuracy I don't think the coax can be beat with the unique floating shell holder. And how the dies slide in is fantastic and quick.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I like the redding ultramag as well and have a couple of them. However it is not my choice unless I am reloading cartridges with brass in the 3"-3 1/4" range or longer.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Win 69 --- That "slop" thing vs. a near rigid ram fit do seem to be a hard concept for most minds to gasp!

But, if our "tight presses" and threaded dies were so good BR shooters would use our presses/dies instead of the VERY loose hand dies and arbor presses they do use!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on what you can afford as the cost goes from OK to obscene. The Lee equipment is servicable but some is better than other. RCBS, Redding, Forster are all excellent but expensive. For just starting out on a budget Lee works just fine. You can be set up for less than the cost of a press alone from the other makers which will leave funds for powder, primers, and bullets and you will be still be able to load excellent ammuntion. Even after you upgrade you'll still find a use for it. Currently I have a Redding T-7, RCBS Rockchucker (had it for 40 years), RCBS Partner, a Lee Classic and a Lee three holer progressive. I use them all except for the Rockchucker which was retired to my brother by the Lee Classic.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
Win 69 --- That "slop" thing vs. a near rigid ram fit do seem to be a hard concept for most minds to gasp!

But, if our "tight presses" and threaded dies were so good BR shooters would use our presses/dies instead of the VERY loose hand dies and arbor presses they do use!

I don't use hand dies and can only speak from my impressions. My understanding of the Wilson dies is that they align regardless of the source of pressure on them. They state that much regarding their seating dies. I can speak more directly regarding the presses used for threaded dies.

When the ram is aligned with the die and held in a tight bore, all of its force is likewise directed. In a loose bore, the ram will want to misalign when it meets resistance, simply as a tendency to reduce the resistance. Oppose two fingers linearly and push them into one another. As the fingers deflect off-axis, resistance is reduced. The ram wants to do the same thing. Let's consider that the ram is cocked in its bore. Realize that the force into the die is reduced somewhat. The ram's full force is on the axis of the ram. Think of the ram and its force as the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The leg of the triangle that is aligned with the die represents by its length the force being transmitted into the die on its axis. The other leg of the triangle represents by its length the amount of lateral force that is being resisted by the die, and any brass that is in it, at a right angle to the die. That is the force that is deleterious to to the straightness and otherwise dimensional integrity of a shell case. The greater the deflection, the larger the proportion of the ram's force that is transmitted laterally. Simple, right?

Please note that concurrent with accepting your invitation to present my analysis of the problem with presses, I have retired the dancing green faces.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very complimented that everyone has followed my explanation and is in agreement with it. I had hoped that it would be clear and easy to follow, and apparently was successful in my attempt. Its universal acceptance is truly gratifying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you can see, whole lot of heat and very little light. All of the presses mentioned make good ammo. The companies wouldn't stay in business if they didn't.
So the question is if brand x cost $100 and brand A cost $300, is brand A three times better than brand x? Other than an ego thing, you'll find it isn't. Buy the best you can afford but if you buy the $100 press, it doesn't mean you are a bad person. And with the $200 you saved, you can buy a case tumbler and a Chrony. Kewl huh.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old RCBS Junior for $25 to $40 will do all the reloading that most any of us really need.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Buy used if you can. I currently have an old RCBS Rockchucker I got for $50. New, my preference would be for the Redding T-7 turret press.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16321 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OklaBowhunter:
I am new to the forum, so please bare with me. I am in the next 30 days or so going to start reloading and wanted to ask around experienced peoples thoughts on presses that are on the market. Prices seem to go from reasonable to crazy. The Lee presses actually seem to be quite a bit cheaper than a RCBS, or Lyman or a Hornady. But is the quality ok? I will be reloading .243, .308 and some 9mm for starts. I dont expect to be doing over 100 to 200 rounds at a time.

Appreciate it.

Oklabowhunter, If you are near OKC you might check out the reloading classes at H&H range. Their equipment prices are a bit on the high side but it might give you some comparisons.

I've helped a few guys get started in reloading with the RCBS Rockchucker master reloading kit. It's basically the same stuff I started out with 35yrs ago and I haven't worn it out yet. I've expanded greatly but the original RCBS stuff still is good to go.

In my mind RCBS is kinda the Chevy of reloading equipement, solid, dependable and mid priced. You can buy cheaper and/or more expensive stuff but starting out I really think the RCBS Rockchucker set is the best starting point to begin with and then you can expand out from there. RCBS has great customer service too, if something breaks they fix it.

I personally don't care for most Lee equipment. It's often ingeniously designed but often is poorly manufactured with cheaper materials that can wear out. I take some heat for this opinion from guys who love Lee stuff but I don't like stuff that I can't trust because some of it wears out and breaks.

The Co-Ax press is fantastic but IMHO is best as a second press because there are just a couple things it doesn't do and I think you'll find it less convenient for pistol rounds than a "O" type press.

But anyway, the RCBS set is solid guaranteed for life reasonably priced gear. I really think it's the best place to start and have seen it work great for everyone I know who's tried it. PM me if you need any specific help............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by OklaBowhunter:

Appreciate it.

Oklabowhunter, If you are near OKC you might check out the reloading classes at H&H range. Their equipment prices are a bit on the high side but it might give you some comparisons.

I've helped a few guys get started in reloading with the RCBS Rockchucker master reloading kit. It's basically the same stuff I started out with 35yrs ago and I haven't worn it out yet. I've expanded greatly but the original RCBS stuff still is good to go.

In my mind RCBS is kinda the Chevy of reloading equipement, solid, dependable and mid priced. You can buy cheaper and/or more expensive stuff but starting out I really think the RCBS Rockchucker set is the best starting point to begin with and then you can expand out from there. RCBS has great customer service too, if something breaks they fix it.

I personally don't care for most Lee equipment. It's often ingeniously designed but often is poorly manufactured with cheaper materials that can wear out. I take some heat for this opinion from guys who love Lee stuff but I don't like stuff that I can't trust because some of it wears out and breaks.

The Co-Ax press is fantastic but IMHO is best as a second press because there are just a couple things it doesn't do and I think you'll find it less convenient for pistol rounds than a "O" type press.

But anyway, the RCBS set is solid guaranteed for life reasonably priced gear. I really think it's the best place to start and have seen it work great for everyone I know who's tried it. PM me if you need any specific help............................DJ

+1 to everything DJ said!

I like nice tools, and have paid a lot more than I 'needed' to for some of my reloading gear, but I would do it again--I have a Wilson/Sinclair micrometer case trimmer for example, A lee trimmer stud and case cutter work fine, and are a LOT cheaper, but I really ENJOY using the Wilson/Sinclair....I was told once when I was very young, to buy the best tools I could afford, and I have always been glad I did so--having said that, if I was helping someone get started reloading, I would definitely check out some of the Quality used gear that is out there!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being as you are just getting started keep it simple. You don't need a fancy press or equipment a good solid press like a RCBS or Lyman orange crush will provide a few lifetimes of service and will handle any reloading chore. The reloading kits from the different manufactures are a great place to start. Don't get overwhelmed by all the different opinions and keep it simple and enjoy the prosses.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
You will always get your money's worth if you avoid Lee products.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
OKLABOWHUNTER, I have a real good RCBS junior 2 press for cheap if ya need one to get started, just pm me. If you buy new i think a RCBS partner is around 77.99 new and a rockchucker is 136.99 at Midway.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote