Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone load the 17hornet
 Login/Join

posted
Started loading for the 17 hornet and am having mixed results using 25grain Bergers would love to have a discussion with anyone who has loaded for this little round

Posts: 13 | Location: victoria austraila | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i load for th 17 ackley hornet which is pretty similar it has been really fussy about powders. the only one that has been satisfactory is aa1680

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 17 Hornet and 17 K hornet seem to be fussy about powder. I have 2 Kimber 17 KH and they really like 4227 and the Hornady V max. A friend has a 17 Hornet and his likes Lil Gun. Mine was very inaccurate with Lil Gun while he said the same thing about his with 4227

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Only powders we have available here atm are h332 and h4918 we started with h4198 haven’t done more testing to see but here’s where I think we’ve gone wrong , we found the lands and seated the pill just off at an overall length of 1.780 inches now to me it looked like the projectile didn’t have enough grab on it but my mate is convinced he would get better accuracy the closer to the lands we were so we started there , in quickload the default OAL is 1.723inches and here’s why I think I might be right with our problem , according to quickload using the same amount of powder there is a 3770psi drop in pressure on the case that is seated closer to the lands , the opposite normally happens in my experience so that’s abit weird…,
We can’t get better than a 5” group with this , I’ve told him to load the next lot at 1.723inches to see if there’s a difference and also load some up with h332 at both lengths and have also suggested we crimp them what do you think? The rifle is a weirauch and shoot 20 grain vmax factory’s at an 1” easily all day long , the projectile we are trying to load for is the Berger 25grain, be great to here some thoughts thanks steve.

Posts: 13 | Location: victoria austraila | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 2 17 AH's One is throated for 25 gr bullets and one was throated for the 20gr v max. I use VV N-120 in both of them

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots really well with 1680 and the 20 gr VMax.

Some say CFE Black works equally well but I haven't tried it yet.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4198 for mine, other powders are faster, but not as accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1680, never tried anything else.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 grains of 1680 in my cz is my load. Love the 17 hornet.

I recently switched from the 25 gr Berger to 25 gr hollow point Hornady bulk bullet from Midway. Works just as well.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO anything below 222 is a pain in the butt, hard to make shoot, hard to clean, need all new cleaning stuff, as they build up copper residue in a hurry, what Im saying is I will never own another..but thats just speaking for myself, oh did I add a slight breeze with blow your bullet to Baltamore from windy Idaho where I park my PU.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know I will get hate mail for this, but I can't imagine a more useless cartridge.
But obviously some guys like it.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I know I will get hate mail for this, but I can't imagine a more useless cartridge.

My buddies and I like using it. 100-200 (+/-) dead sage rats per shooter, per day at the height of the season. Also works quite well on rock chucks, badgers, and coyotes. But other than that, it's useless.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's yer hate mail......Smiler

Conversely......you don't see many 458's in the pd fields. Smiler

Apples/Oranges.....different strokes/different folks.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
quote:

My buddies and I like using it. 100-200 (+/-) dead sage rats per shooter, per day at the height of the season. Also works quite well on rock chucks, badgers, and coyotes. But other than that, it's useless.

It’s a fine PD round. I would not take it coyote hunting, but if a coyote walks by, ……

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It kills coyotes better than a 22 magnum, of which I've killed a number with.
I also admit, there's not a cartridge out there I cant find a use for!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why use a caliber that seems to have so much drama to make it work, as evidenced by the first 4 posts?
And it is so small; like a BB gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why use a caliber that seems to have so much drama to make it work, as evidenced by the first 4 posts?
And it is so small; like a BB gun.

Do you own one?
Have you shot one?

Try it, you might like it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No and no. 22 is my min limit, and we have no small creatures here to shoot anyway. No rock chucks, badgers; we do have coyotes, but a 17 seems small.
I will never own one. They probably have no recoil either, which I like in rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually it's smaller than a BB. Smiler(edit: oops......diameter, that is. )

Seeing what a 20VMax can do at about 3800fps may be quite eye-opening......and no....wind effects are not as great as Ray fears. A visit to the JBM Ballistics website would be helpful.

I do admit that the bore cleaning operation can be a bit of an artform with the larger 17 caliber cases.......not so with the 17H or 17AH.

Give one a try Tom.....it might suprise ya.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's fun to watch through the scope as a pigeon turns into a cloud of feathers before your eyes!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Way too small.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could call it a 4.3 Hornet, but that doesn't sound any bigger Tom! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No; I am not interested in anything much below 33 caliber and 35 is better. 17? no. It's a BB gun, which I was not allowed to have. 22s; yes. My Mother figured I would be careful with a 22 but not a BB gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 17 Hornet with a heavyish PacNor barrel on a martini Cadet action, and it shoots so well that if it were .243 cal about half the groups would be one-holers, and I've not noticed any copper problems. I often shoot it a hundred rounds sage rat hunting, same as my 222 and 223, and it cleans up pretty well. A neat thing is that it hardly moves when shot, and you can see the gore fly. Very rewarding.

I've also used it for prairie gods and it works fine but now and then one will drag itself into a hole.

To small for rockchucks in my opin, I use my 22BR, and still sometimes one drags itself off. I hate that.

DCPD- You're really deprived by not having a BB gun; I grew up on a farm in OR and we used to shoot grasshoppers by the thousands. Great sport.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote